Exactly, and I just dug up 2 old picks and put them in the RC field box
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:33 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,624 Posts
I didn't know you played guitar...I would have let you try the guitar I built while you were at my house.....

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:40 AM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,442 Posts
I don't, next door neighbors move and left an electric guitar for my 12 yr old son (now 14) He never got into it so I just took his picks
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:52 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
I don't, next door neighbors move and left an electric guitar for my 12 yr old son (now 14) He never got into it so I just took his picks
What brand of guitar?

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:17 AM
Old Dog learning new tricks~~
United States, PA, East Stroudsburg
Joined Jan 2011
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
I didn't know you played guitar...I would have let you try the guitar I built while you were at my house.....

SteveT.
Very nice Steve, I have messed around making some guitars myself Here's a couple. Only I haven't played in years now.
bradhoke08 is offline Find More Posts by bradhoke08
Last edited by bradhoke08; Jan 21, 2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:29 AM
fly low be happy
United States, CA, Shasta Lake
Joined Sep 2009
140 Posts
we should start a new thread for 3dhs fanatics/luthiers.
lb.man is offline Find More Posts by lb.man
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:07 AM
Old Dog learning new tricks~~
United States, PA, East Stroudsburg
Joined Jan 2011
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb.man View Post
Sweet I love the wood grain!!! Excellent
bradhoke08 is offline Find More Posts by bradhoke08
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:20 AM
Yeeah buddy!
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2010
2,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post

SteveT.
That looks awesome!

I have wanted to build a custom guitar myself.
PinkYakRC is offline Find More Posts by PinkYakRC
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:35 AM
I think I like vanilla...
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2007
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
I'm getting a little more comfy with my 74. Still not down on the deck like I am with the smaller birds though!

A friend of mine shot this on his iPhone. We've discovered we need to shoot in landscape rather than portrait lol.

But if you're bored here is some desert hucking, and set it to HD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdLSfHQA6Dw
Where'd all the weeds go?
grimgrinnin is offline Find More Posts by grimgrinnin
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:39 AM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgrinnin View Post
Where'd all the weeds go?
I took a hoe (insert Beavis laugh)... and JP custom cut a nice heavy sharp toothed rake that made short work of them two weeks ago before he maidened his 71 out there
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:41 PM
Yard Dart
United States, TN, Woodbury
Joined Aug 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_SC View Post
Out of the box, my rear latch did not work. It was because the pin on the latch had torn through the 1/16" sheet balsa former on the rear of the canopy. That really should have been plywood at lease. If yours had not turn through that balsa yet, I can see how it would within a few flights. I intend to insert a small square of either 1/32" plywood or carbon fiber sheet with a hole in it for the latch pin to go through. That will not tear.

I also intend to add magnets to the rear of the hatch. From the factory, it only has them in the middle of the hatch. Add some at the rear corners of the hatch, plus the work above should prevent any hatch loss. That is a good point though about the cooling holes. If you cut the holes in the firewall but didn't cut any exit holes in the covering for the air to escape, that could build up a lot of pressure inside the fuselage and blow out the canopy. You need the cooling exit hole for proper cooling anyway.
My latch is the same way you are describing. I thought mine was catching enough but its not. I do have holes in my firewall and the bottom of the fuse vented. I didnt realize how much pressure that puts on a canopy. You can't pull it off by hand but it comes off like nothing in flight.
Letzrock is offline Find More Posts by Letzrock
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:50 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letzrock View Post
My latch is the same way you are describing. I thought mine was catching enough but its not. I do have holes in my firewall and the bottom of the fuse vented. I didnt realize how much pressure that puts on a canopy. You can't pull it off by hand but it comes off like nothing in flight.
Crazy thought here.... but maybe a small pressure relief hole discretely placed somewhere in the top might help too?

I would go a long way to avoid canopy screws myself... I am putting a ton of flights on my larger planes these days, and I find those to be a real hassle.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:16 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,473 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
Crazy thought here.... but maybe a small pressure relief hole discretely placed somewhere in the top might help too?

I would go a long way to avoid canopy screws myself... I am putting a ton of flights on my larger planes these days, and I find those to be a real hassle.
i agree, i dont like using canopy screws, but if thats what it takes to not worry about the canopy flying off, its worth it.

that being said, try pulling the pin out a little bit on the latch (sometimes they get pushing in a bit). just use some pliers and very carefully pull on it. the pin should be sticking 2-3mm inside the canopy. also, dont be afraid to open up those holes where the canopy pins go into the front of the fuse (i dont have a 74, so i am assuming that is what it uses. if not, just ensure a good fit)
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:14 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,507 Posts
Quote:
Is anybody else having a problem keeping the canopy on? I lost mine twice today doing flat spins and snap rolls. I guess I will have to use the bolt on method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_SC View Post
Out of the box, my rear latch did not work. It was because the pin on the latch had torn through the 1/16" sheet balsa former on the rear of the canopy. That really should have been plywood at lease. If yours had not turn through that balsa yet, I can see how it would within a few flights. I intend to insert a small square of either 1/32" plywood or carbon fiber sheet with a hole in it for the latch pin to go through. That will not tear.

I also intend to add magnets to the rear of the hatch. From the factory, it only has them in the middle of the hatch. Add some at the rear corners of the hatch, plus the work above should prevent any hatch loss. That is a good point though about the cooling holes. If you cut the holes in the firewall but didn't cut any exit holes in the covering for the air to escape, that could build up a lot of pressure inside the fuselage and blow out the canopy. You need the cooling exit hole for proper cooling anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
i agree, i dont like using canopy screws, but if thats what it takes to not worry about the canopy flying off, its worth it.

that being said, try pulling the pin out a little bit on the latch (sometimes they get pushing in a bit). just use some pliers and very carefully pull on it. the pin should be sticking 2-3mm inside the canopy. also, dont be afraid to open up those holes where the canopy pins go into the front of the fuse (i dont have a 74, so i am assuming that is what it uses. if not, just ensure a good fit)
YES, Birk is correct here...just pull the pin forward enough...usually you can get it to "slide" forward as the metal pin is not bonded in the plastic too well....you can pull it forward and extend it through the canopy hatch.....my 74 has a LOT of time on it with a gas engine shaking it....never lost the canopy....AND there are no cooling holes inside the fuse...just the bottom of the tunnel....but no vent for the inside of the fuse.

Pull the pin forward so it fully engages the plywood "ring" that should be bonded inside the balsa at the rear of the canopy.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:20 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhoke08 View Post
Very nice Steve, I have messed around making some guitars myself Here's a couple. Only I haven't played in years now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb.man View Post
Those are some very nice axes.....and yes we should.... Though the one I built was the one and only one I ever "built"...I did "assemble" a couple of Stewmac parts guitars for friends...

As to playing, I really don't any more either......

Anyway.....back to the 74" Edge thread.....sorry to have sent it off on a tangent......

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Jan 21, 2013 at 03:26 PM.