HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:30 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,875 Posts
Six 4S 45C 4400mAH Thunder Power packs charged for tomorrow to fly the Edge....along with a bunch of other packs for a couple more planes....and it's supposed to be beautiful here tomorrow!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:19 AM
Old Dog learning new tricks~~
bradhoke08's Avatar
United States, PA, East Stroudsburg
Joined Jan 2011
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Six 4S 45C 4400mAH Thunder Power packs charged for tomorrow to fly the Edge....along with a bunch of other packs for a couple more planes....and it's supposed to be beautiful here tomorrow!!

SteveT
Lucky you Steve!! Enjoy
bradhoke08 is offline Find More Posts by bradhoke08
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:03 AM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
RC4x4's Avatar
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Six 4S 45C 4400mAH Thunder Power packs charged for tomorrow to fly the Edge....along with a bunch of other packs for a couple more planes....and it's supposed to be beautiful here tomorrow!!

SteveT
Huck it! Hopen I can get mine out this weekend if the weather is good.
Colorado has shifted gears on us.


Cory
RC4x4 is online now Find More Posts by RC4x4
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:29 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,875 Posts
Three Words....... "OH HELL YESSSSSS!!!!!!" Got to the field, and by the time I got the plane together just a light wind, put it up and threw it around to the best of my ability.... High Alpha K.E., elevators, pop tops, inverted flat spins, climbing flat spins, knife edge spins...and generally throwing the plane around. Flew it three times, and I must say, I have never felt more connected to a plane in my life.... Even better than my Slick and 72" Extra!! Second and third flights the wind had come up but it still flew great!!

Power system, Hacker A60-5S, Castle 100, 8S 45C packs, and a Xoar 20X10 "W" gas prop.
Servos, HS-7955TG's on BEC Pro set for six volts, (am going to kick the voltage up before I fly it again.)

CG with 3 oz of lead under the front of the motor box and the CG is just very, very slightly nose heavy

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:08 PM
Team 3DHS
Bivens's Avatar
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos268 View Post
Thanks for the link to the photos. They are very helpful.

How did you mount the throttle servo?
I used some aluminum servo mounts from servo city that I had laying in my parts box....but many 3dhs planes also come with little wood boxes for servo mounting....they work very well as long as you hit all of their joints with CA and get then mounted or glued in the plane well. I'm pretty sure the 74 includes one...but it's been a long time since I built mine....
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:13 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,875 Posts
If anybody needs one of those servo mounts, I have three or four of them....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:28 PM
Byron C
3DeltaFly's Avatar
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Three Words....... "OH HELL YESSSSSS!!!!!!" Got to the field, and by the time I got the plane together just a light wind, put it up and threw it around to the best of my ability.... High Alpha K.E., elevators, pop tops, inverted flat spins, climbing flat spins, knife edge spins...and generally throwing the plane around. Flew it three times, and I must say, I have never felt more connected to a plane in my life.... Even better than my Slick and 72" Extra!! Second and third flights the wind had come up but it still flew great!!

Power system, Hacker A60-5S, Castle 100, 8S 45C packs, and a Xoar 20X10 "W" gas prop.
Servos, HS-7955TG's on BEC Pro set for six volts, (am going to kick the voltage up before I fly it again.)

CG with 3 oz of lead under the front of the motor box and the CG is just very, very slightly nose heavy

SteveT
Sounds great Steve. I'm planning on going with an electric set up for my 74" Edge <which is on the x-mas list:->

What kind of flight times are you getting? I'm leaning towards 10S since I have several 5S 4000mAh packs on hand, that and this airframe appears to benefit from a bit of extra nose weight.

ByronC
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:47 PM
FLY ANGRY
FIXXIN2FLY's Avatar
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
4,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DeltaFly View Post
Sounds great Steve. I'm planning on going with an electric set up for my 74" Edge <which is on the x-mas list:->

What kind of flight times are you getting? I'm leaning towards 10S since I have several 5S 4000mAh packs on hand, that and this airframe appears to benefit from a bit of extra nose weight.

ByronC
74" edge? Are you kidding? They just stated that the 92" Edge will be here soon!!!! How can you resist?
FIXXIN2FLY is online now Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The family continues to grow
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:26 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DeltaFly View Post
Sounds great Steve. I'm planning on going with an electric set up for my 74" Edge <which is on the x-mas list:->

What kind of flight times are you getting? I'm leaning towards 10S since I have several 5S 4000mAh packs on hand, that and this airframe appears to benefit from a bit of extra nose weight.

ByronC
10S would probably work...and, though I have no practical experience with the motor, (other than it is in the same series), I would bet the A60-7S would be a great motor for this plane. It is a 215KV 3000 watt (peak) 2500 watt (nominal) motor that draws approximately 68 amps, and will easily run on a Castle HV-80 or higher HV ESC. The watt specs are right in line with the motor I am using....and Hacker is noted for under-rating their motors, so, I have no doubt it could be pushed a bit harder....

As to flight time, I tend to fly a lot of high throttle stuff, so only about 5.5 minutes.....but if I took it easy, or put a Xoar prop on it, I would probably get longer flight times. I am actually using a Xoar gas carbon fiber prop...perhaps a lighter prop would give better times.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:35 PM
lazy 3D specialist
ronbo111's Avatar
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined May 2007
1,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY View Post
74" edge? Are you kidding? They just stated that the 92" Edge will be here soon!!!! How can you resist?
What 92" Edge? ,got a photo or video yet?
ronbo111 is offline Find More Posts by ronbo111
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:40 PM
Byron C
3DeltaFly's Avatar
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY View Post
74" edge? Are you kidding? They just stated that the 92" Edge will be here soon!!!! How can you resist?
It ain't 'gonna be easy Just found the thread for the 92 prototype, watched Joe's flight video..., awesome
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:42 PM
Byron C
3DeltaFly's Avatar
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo111 View Post
What 92" Edge? ,got a photo or video yet?
The new 92" thread is here, photos and youtube vid too -->

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1770838
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:48 PM
FLY ANGRY
FIXXIN2FLY's Avatar
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
4,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo111 View Post
what 92" edge? ,got a photo or video yet?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^here^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
FIXXIN2FLY is online now Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The family continues to grow
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:51 PM
Byron C
3DeltaFly's Avatar
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
10S would probably work...and, though I have no practical experience with the motor, (other than it is in the same series), I would bet the A60-7S would be a great motor for this plane. It is a 215KV 3000 watt (peak) 2500 watt (nominal) motor that draws approximately 68 amps, and will easily run on a Castle HV-80 or higher HV ESC. The watt specs are right in line with the motor I am using....and Hacker is noted for under-rating their motors, so, I have no doubt it could be pushed a bit harder....

As to flight time, I tend to fly a lot of high throttle stuff, so only about 5.5 minutes.....but if I took it easy, or put a Xoar prop on it, I would probably get longer flight times. I am actually using a Xoar gas carbon fiber prop...perhaps a lighter prop would give better times.

SteveT
OK, back from the 92" Edge prototype thread

Ah, thanks for all the details. I'll check out the ESCs'. Yes indeed, and I had already zeroed in on the Hacker A60-7S V2. It's right at the top of my list for a 10S setup. I use heavy throttle management on my EP, so with 10S I'm thinking that I should be able to get between 6 to 7 minutes 3D flight times with a Xoar 20x10.

ByronC
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:48 AM
3D Sunset Flier
Buzzed's Avatar
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,659 Posts
NeverEnough having a blast with the Edge yesterday.

Enjoy!



74" 3DHS Edge (6 min 27 sec)
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion 60 inch edge 540 vs 48 inch extreme flight extra 300 & edge 540 vs 3dhs slick 51 & 59 CRFan1 3D Flying 40 Mar 04, 2012 02:45 PM
Sold 3DHS 41" Edge 540 PNP $225 gonzoman5 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 10 Oct 05, 2011 10:53 AM
Wanted 3dhs Edge 540 47" (red bull scheme) SmokeDogg Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 13 Sep 29, 2011 02:19 PM
Wanted 3DHS Edge 540 47" (Red Bull Scheme) SmokeDogg Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Sep 24, 2011 01:58 AM
Wanted 3dhs edge 540 47" (red bull scheme) vhuang168 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Sep 08, 2011 10:13 PM