HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:24 PM
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Oct 2011
169 Posts
Ok. This is helping me allot on my decision. I really liked that look of the Edge but I also dont want to go out and spend a ton more money just to get it when I have the power system for the EF Extra.

Thanks everyone for helping me.

cmala,

I also have the yellow/black Hempel 1/4 cub. I was running an 18x8 for a long time about getting about 15 minutes of flight time. With the 18x8 it was pulling a little over 50 amps and about 2000 watts.
RC Erik is offline Find More Posts by RC Erik
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, LA, Calhoun
Joined Feb 2007
99 Posts
Does anybody have any pics of a DLE 30 setup including throtle servo and cowl cut out?

Thanks

Eric
Stratos268 is offline Find More Posts by Stratos268
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:04 PM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
352 Posts
DLE 30 or Electric???

So I starting looking for what I thought was going to be my first gas plane to get those long flight times when I finally settled on gettting an edge. Then I started thinking I have 4S 4000 packs from my 57" Extra that would fly this well on 8S.

Can anyone tell me what to expect as a newbie to a gas plane or should I stick to what I know and go electric.

I had a nitro powered Mustang back in the day but after a dozen or so dead stick landings I when back to electric and never looked back.

Thanks!
smithder is offline Find More Posts by smithder
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:16 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithder View Post
So I starting looking for what I thought was going to be my first gas plane to get those long flight times when I finally settled on gettting an edge. Then I started thinking I have 4S 4000 packs from my 57" Extra that would fly this well on 8S.

Can anyone tell me what to expect as a newbie to a gas plane or should I stick to what I know and go electric.

I had a nitro powered Mustang back in the day but after a dozen or so dead stick landings I when back to electric and never looked back.

Thanks!
i'm running 4s 4000s in an 8s setup in my 74 edge. Motrofly 4325. Love it. Great power and very floaty. I also use the same batts in my 57sc.

That said, if i got a larger plane, I'll try gas for the longer flight times. I used to fly nitro. Used OS motors and I had a lot of success with them. But i'm a complete noob when it comes to gas.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:18 PM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,850 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
I like the electric in this more over the 30cc engine. The DLE30 in my 72'' Extra has given me the biggest headache over the whole time it's been in the plane. One day it runs great, the next day it runs like crap. It gave me the glow engine impression half the time. I'm finally going electric in it. The Edge though is a blast on 8s! I get 7 minutes with 4400mah packs.
Just my suggestion.

Cory
RC4x4 is offline Find More Posts by RC4x4
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:37 PM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC4x4 View Post
I like the electric in this more over the 30cc engine. The DLE30 in my 72'' Extra has given me the biggest headache over the whole time it's been in the plane. One day it runs great, the next day it runs like crap. It gave me the glow engine impression half the time. I'm finally going electric in it. The Edge though is a blast on 8s! I get 7 minutes with 4400mah packs.
Just my suggestion.

Cory
This is my fear. With four kids I don't get much time to fly. I usually don't even bring my charger. I charge 3-4 packs, run out an fly them, and play time is over. No time to mess with a fussy engine. I would like to try gas though.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:54 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos268 View Post
Does anybody have any pics of a DLE 30 setup including throtle servo and cowl cut out?

Thanks

Eric
I first built mine about a year ago with a DLE30 and a can....Here's a link to my build posts....

DLE30 choke setup....http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=229

Plane build photos here...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=289

Now it's got an OS GT33 on the stock muffler...I love it.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:38 PM
United States, LA, Calhoun
Joined Feb 2007
99 Posts
Thanks for the link to the photos. They are very helpful.

How did you mount the throttle servo?
Stratos268 is offline Find More Posts by Stratos268
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:24 PM
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
1,181 Posts
Get the OS GT33 and never look back. Fly till you get bored on a 16oz tank or do 12 minutes on a 330ml Fuji. I did a few on 8s 4000s and I got sick of all the charging and strapping with 8s. I like my 6s 5300 setup on the hacker A60-6XS but 6 mins is all you get.
Enterprise7 is online now Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:28 PM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
352 Posts
So the screw with the motor factor is pretty low with the OS? How does the reliability of the DLE compare? I need to be able to show up and fly like I can with electric. Is that possible?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
test
gelevogel is offline Find More Posts by gelevogel
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:36 PM
Watts is where its at!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2004
1,744 Posts
I see these are back in stock. Can we get the wings added to the spare ARF parts list on the website? I'd like to place an order.
racerxky is online now Find More Posts by racerxky
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:54 PM
fly low be happy
United States, CA, Shasta Lake
Joined Sep 2009
140 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
my first set up with the 74" Edge was with an Motrolfly 5320 @330 kv 8s 4000(2 4s 4000) 18x8 and a 19x8 prop. awesome stupid fun, but limited to about 6-7 min. flight times. 130 flights with this set up, only down side was les than 13 hours of flight time
recently switched over to gas and loving it. currently running a OS GT 33 with a Falcon 20x6 prop. 10 oz tank=15+minutes of pure fun. This was my first attempt at a gas set up, was worried about possible deadstick at first. But once there set properly they just run.So far 32 flights 10-15 min. each. As much wide open throtltle as you want, and back to back. My vote is for gas, there is a learning curve, but if you had success at tuning glow, you should be all right with gas.
lb.man is offline Find More Posts by lb.man
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:00 PM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
352 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the detailed responce! You convinced me gas is the way to go. At first I was thinking DLE but it sure seems like everyone likes the GT33.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:25 PM
fly low be happy
United States, CA, Shasta Lake
Joined Sep 2009
140 Posts
I am loving my GT33, only complaint is that the muffler works to good. Too quiet
lb.man is offline Find More Posts by lb.man