SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:24 PM
fly low be happy
United States, CA, Shasta Lake
Joined Sep 2009
140 Posts
i had a couple of old timers try to tell me that i needed to try a 20 inch prop or bigger so here are a few pics of my first gasser oh how it hurt to have to cut out the sexy red cowling, small sacrifice.
lb.man is offline Find More Posts by lb.man
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:23 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,510 Posts
18.5 x 6W falcon for me. I GAVE away a 20x6 mejlik carbon prop that I'd bought and used some on this plane...didn't like it. I like the fast response and low torque of the 18.5 falcon. Just my opinion of course, but I found the 20 much harder to hover and did not spool up as well.

Please try for yourself and let us know. I did try also a VESS 19a, VESS 20a, Xoar 18x8 beechwood, and Xoar 20x6 laminated.....in addition to the Falcon and the Mej. I found similar results with the DLE30 that was in there before my GT33.

Just my experience and opinion of course.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:58 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb.man View Post
i had a couple of old timers try to tell me that i needed to try a 20 inch prop or bigger so here are a few pics of my first gasser oh how it hurt to have to cut out the sexy red cowling, small sacrifice.
like anything, it depends on the actual prop. 20x6 Falcon is awesome... Edge has crazy roll authority, but it will get even more for post-stall maneuvers, Edge can roll against torque on the 20x6 falcon with the OS, my favorite 3D prop for sure. My favorite all-rounder prop that also happens to save the $$ is the 19x8 Protek Eelectric Beechwood prop from AMain... it's wonderful, more speed than the 20x6, great spool, etc etc.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:17 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
18.5 x 6W falcon for me. I GAVE away a 20x6 mejlik carbon prop that I'd bought and used some on this plane...didn't like it. I like the fast response and low torque of the 18.5 falcon. Just my opinion of course, but I found the 20 much harder to hover and did not spool up as well.

Please try for yourself and let us know. I did try also a VESS 19a, VESS 20a, Xoar 18x8 beechwood, and Xoar 20x6 laminated.....in addition to the Falcon and the Mej. I found similar results with the DLE30 that was in there before my GT33.

if that falcon was what you had on there when i flew it,it was stupid good...loved it.i dont go low like that with other peoples planes usually
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:20 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,510 Posts
Yep. Falcon ftw in every size I've tried so far...33cc, 60cc, 120cc, and 170cc....

On every one of their props it has outperformed other props I've tried before.

Their electric carbon props look killer too...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
falcon props

Bivens

Where the best place to get the falcon props? Thanks for the pull on your big extra, cant wait to get my in the air but have to fix the slick first. What prop do you have on the extra?

Thanks
Duane
mytms is offline Find More Posts by mytms
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:23 AM
fly low be happy
Joined Sep 2009
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post

I'm down with trying out as many props as possible, you never know what you'll like. unfortunatley I have over spent my budget on this engine. and have been informed that if i want to go lodi next weekend,or buy more gas to fly with. i will have to sell my 5320. so I'm guessing the wife wont let me buy new props for a while. hopefully i dont tip the one that i have
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:00 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,510 Posts
29x9 falcon from Bob's Hobby Center on a DA120 on stock pipes.

I ordered 2 of them just last Tuesday...they arrived Friday....great service.

Here's a phone number...

(407) 277-1248
http://www.bobshobbycenter.com/

The Falcon 29x9 is by far the best prop I've had on my 120's and I've had Xoar, Vess, Mejlik, and Vess Stealth.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:42 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb.man View Post
I'm down with trying out as many props as possible, you never know what you'll like. unfortunatley I have over spent my budget on this engine. and have been informed that if i want to go lodi next weekend,or buy more gas to fly with. i will have to sell my 5320. so I'm guessing the wife wont let me buy new props for a while. hopefully i dont tip the one that i have
I'll be at Lodi on Saturday....Look for a fat grey haired old guy....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:15 PM
fly low be happy
Joined Sep 2009
140 Posts
first 4 flights with the GT 33 today and I am really impressed so far with its performance. cant hardly wait to get it broken in and start playing with props.ascending funnel hovers, can you say sweet.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:00 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,510 Posts
I can....SWEET!! Glad you like it! I do too....
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:18 AM
fly low be happy
Joined Sep 2009
140 Posts
Bivens-thank you for the advise on the throttle linkage and the timing. so far testing of the linkage is full stick travel. cant wait to get off of work today and check it out.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:20 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,510 Posts
No problem. Once it's running....curve till it "feels" right to you...then fly, and repeat, until you get it flying just the way YOU want it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:55 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,678 Posts
Finally!!!! My Edge is ready for maiden tomorrow!! Had to buy new batteries as the ones I had (4000mAH packs) had puffed, and, I also needed more weight in the nose, so, went with new 4S 45C 4400mAH Thunder Power packs. And.... I ran up the motor today for the first time. On 8S with a Hacker A60-5S (295KV), I got 2335 watts @ 79.35 amps, using a Xoar 20X10 Carbon fiber wide "gas" prop. Some might think this low on wattage, but this is a 28 pole motor, and you can't compare input watts of a 28 pole motor to those of a 14 pole motor such as an A50-14L or a Motrolfly motor. While I didn't check the thrust with a fish scale or anything, but I can tell you, when I had the stab pulling against the back of my ankles, it hurt, and I haven't even set my ESC yet!!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:18 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Finally!!!! My Edge is ready for maiden tomorrow!! Had to buy new batteries as the ones I had (4000mAH packs) had puffed, and, I also needed more weight in the nose, so, went with new 4S 45C 4400mAH Thunder Power packs. And.... I ran up the motor today for the first time. On 8S with a Hacker A60-5S (295KV), I got 2335 watts @ 79.35 amps, using a Xoar 20X10 Carbon fiber wide "gas" prop. Some might think this low on wattage, but this is a 28 pole motor, and you can't compare input watts of a 28 pole motor to those of a 14 pole motor such as an A50-14L or a Motrolfly motor. While I didn't check the thrust with a fish scale or anything, but I can tell you, when I had the stab pulling against the back of my ankles, it hurt, and I haven't even set my ESC yet!!!

SteveT
Just wait,,,,it gets better!!!! Good luck on the maiden!!!!
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY