SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:34 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
Bump up the idle a bit when your trying to start it.

Helps a lot.
didn't that first bigfoot have a gt33 that kept starting backwards?

just watched a show on PBS called The Aviators, had some red bull stuff.

neat seeing the red edge 540 v3. cooling tube up front, racing canopy. cool stuff!
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:18 PM
fly low be happy
United States, CA, Shasta Lake
Joined Sep 2009
138 Posts
Quote:
Bump up the idle a bit when your trying to start it.

Helps a lot.
thanks for the info I will try that tomorrow, right now i am finding it hard to keep from flipping the prop
lb.man is offline Find More Posts by lb.man
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:23 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
didn't that first bigfoot have a gt33 that kept starting backwards?

just watched a show on PBS called The Aviators, had some red bull stuff.

neat seeing the red edge 540 v3. cooling tube up front, racing canopy. cool stuff!
Yes it did. Its a irritating issue.
It seems that increasing the throttle some when starting it helps alot.
Some people have retarted the timing to solve the problem but at a cost, reduced power and hotter temp. Just make sure who ever is holding your plane knows it could start backwards so they are holding it. Once you get use to starting it and figure out the correct throttle setting at startup, then it usually cooperates.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:15 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,442 Posts
Gets better as you put more time on it and things run in a little. At least mine did. I love my 33.
Bivens is online now Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:12 PM
Righteous 87
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jun 2009
1,654 Posts
Hey anybody got an electric motor box extension they would part with for the 74?
Randidly is offline Find More Posts by Randidly
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:43 AM
fly low be happy
Joined Sep 2009
138 Posts
so i made it out to the rc club to run the engine and set the needles. advanced the throttle a little more and it seemed to help, after restarting it seemed to only want to start backwards, so after using an electric starter and advancing the throttle from about 1/3 to 1/2,and after letting it run long enough to warm up. it for some unknown reason decides to start running backwards would have sucked if it was in the air. got home and went completely trough my set up and the on ly questionable thing i could find was that i had the bec for my ignition set at 5volts and after going thru 2 switches and some wires it ends up being 4.97 voltls. i am asumming that most of my proplems could possibly be cureds by turning up my bec to about 7.4 ? any thoughts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:49 AM
fly low be happy
Joined Sep 2009
138 Posts
Quote:
Yes it did. Its a irritating issue.
It seems that increasing the throttle some when starting it helps alot.
Some people have retarted the timing to solve the problem but at a cost, reduced power and hotter temp. Just make sure who ever is holding your plane knows it could start backwards so they are holding it. Once you get use to starting it and figure out the correct throttle setting at startup, then it usually cooperates.
not willing to change the timing, os spent a lot to develop this, and i am sure that they know a lot more about the timing than i do. i am positive that all of my problems with this engine are my set up and will go away when properly set up.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:26 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb.man View Post
not willing to change the timing, os spent a lot to develop this, and i am sure that they know a lot more about the timing than i do. i am positive that all of my problems with this engine are my set up and will go away when properly set up.
Sounds like you need to do some carb adjusting. 5v is fine
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:22 PM
fly low be happy
Joined Sep 2009
138 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like you need to do some carb adjusting. 5v is fine
thank you for the info,if at first you dont succeed try try again. third time is a charm i am sure i will get it straightened out. after all it is an inanimate object, i think i am smarter than it.could be wrong thogh
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
thank you for the info,if at first you dont succeed try try again. third time is a charm i am sure i will get it straightened out. after all it is an inanimate object, i think i am smarter than it.could be wrong thogh
"That GT-33 is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. "

Ok so I changed the movie line a tad.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:20 AM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,293 Posts
Quote:
"That GT-33 is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. "

Ok so I changed the movie line a tad.
"I'll start back"

ugh that was bad...I am going to go back to work now
joshet89 is online now Find More Posts by joshet89
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:07 PM
fly low be happy
Joined Sep 2009
138 Posts
thanks robj, i needed that, good old side busting laugh. so i made it back out to the rc field, and tried yet again. but this time i upped my voltage to 7.4 all else being the same the engine was much easier to start. and tune. after tuning the carb and getting a stable idle and 7600 rpms i tried changing the voltage back to 5v. just to see what happens. wouldnt idle, ran rough. set it back to 7.4 and its like an entirely different engine.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
What's the range for that motor? I think my DLE is something like 4.8-6.0 on the input
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:29 PM
fly low be happy
Joined Sep 2009
138 Posts
Quote:
What's the range for that motor? I think my DLE is something like 4.8-6.0 on the input
the manual says its good for 4.8-7.4 rated . when i tested my output after 2 switches and 2 wires connections, it was down to 4.89. that was with the voltage set at 5volts.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:46 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,442 Posts
Quote:
thanks robj, i needed that, good old side busting laugh. so i made it back out to the rc field, and tried yet again. but this time i upped my voltage to 7.4 all else being the same the engine was much easier to start. and tune. after tuning the carb and getting a stable idle and 7600 rpms i tried changing the voltage back to 5v. just to see what happens. wouldnt idle, ran rough. set it back to 7.4 and its like an entirely different engine.
THAT'S good information.....I bet a LOT of older gas guys would have a hard time ever believing that an ignition for these newer engines likes 7.4v. Nice work.
Bivens is online now Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member