HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:19 AM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy78 View Post
Gyro i have a motrolfly 5320-300kv lightened version that is perfect for the edge. Check your pm.
Skippy78, thanks for the great deal on a new motor to minimize my downtime!
I really appreciate it.

-Gary
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:26 AM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
Skippy78, thanks for the great deal on a new motor to minimize my downtime!
I really appreciate it.

-Gary
You are welcome.
skippy78 is online now Find More Posts by skippy78
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:49 AM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined May 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
Mine does not balloon...but it floats for a while. The incidence questions always make me chuckle a little. It's not easy to mess this up with laser-cut locating pin holes and tight fitting stab openings. I assure you.....most of the people building THOUSANDS of ARF's by 3dhs each year wouldn't even know what an incidence meter is used for, nor possess one.

The thrust angle and incidence are set by the designer and laser cut. Of course, everything is a compromise....right thrust for example helps upright flight but means more left rudder is required when inverted harrier...

The bottom line, check that your CG is "nice", the plane should not baloon if you set it up slightly noseheavy...but may baloon a little if you go for "3D neutral CG's"....I like noseheavy because it's more precise....My edge land's itself without much help.

Also, make sure your linkages are all free from binding and the elevator servo is centering properly.
Thanks for your input. I have moved my CG way forward and no change. This is why I was leaning towards an incidence issue. I just recently went threw this same problem on my Pilot 35%. The stabs were 2 degrees off when I put a incidence gauge on it. I was having the same kind of flying characteristics with my Pilot as this Edge. I will keep playing with it. I might just end up doing a mix and fly the crap out of it.
gapple12 is offline Find More Posts by gapple12
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:59 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapple12 View Post
Thanks for your input. I have moved my CG way forward and no change. This is why I was leaning towards an incidence issue. I just recently went threw this same problem on my Pilot 35%. The stabs were 2 degrees off when I put a incidence gauge on it. I was having the same kind of flying characteristics with my Pilot as this Edge. I will keep playing with it. I might just end up doing a mix and fly the crap out of it.
Have you reset your elevator trims after each CG change? This is something a lot of people forget to do, and you must do this....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined May 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Have you reset your elevator trims after each CG change? This is something a lot of people forget to do, and you must do this....

SteveT
Oh yes, and Im still flying right now with the CG forward and my elevators are still showing a little down trim in them.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:28 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,083 Posts
Hotay....just thought I would check....as many people forget to do that....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:45 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapple12 View Post
What motor you running? Hacker A50 to light IMO. I had an 12 at first.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:56 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,372 Posts
How far forward......nose heavy does NOT balloon. What does "way forward" mean to you? Also, saying you have had it way forward makes me think you did not stay that way.

What components arenyou running. Any RX pack? Where is your rudder servo mounted? What flight pack and where is it normally sitting?

As for "Improper" incidence.....I don't think it is safe to say any of us except Scott Stoops or Ben would know their intended design incidence.....and I'm not second guessing them. Mine drops the nose when inverted...and does not balloon. When I used to set up planes more tail heavy (near neutral)...they would always balloon.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:21 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
4,962 Posts
I dont understand how anyone can get the cg too far forward as my 6s 5300 is against the firewall on mine with the A50 and castle ice100 mounted on the side of the cage. (and pull pull ta boot)
And I love my planes on the tail heavy side
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:38 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,083 Posts
My plane is going to be flown on 8S, and with a Hacker A60-5S, two Thunder Power 4S 45C 4400mAH packs, a Castle ESC and a Castle BEC Pro... I still had to put two ounces of lead under the motor box to get it to balance at a bit behind the suggested initial CG point for the first flight. Once I have a chance to fly it, I am sure I will be changing is a bit, but as my packs are all the way to the firewall, I have lots of room to do this....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined May 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
What motor you running? Hacker A50 to light IMO. I had an 12 at first.
A50-12L but I added weight to the front for testing.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined May 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
How far forward......nose heavy does NOT balloon. What does "way forward" mean to you? Also, saying you have had it way forward makes me think you did not stay that way.

What components arenyou running. Any RX pack? Where is your rudder servo mounted? What flight pack and where is it normally sitting?

As for "Improper" incidence.....I don't think it is safe to say any of us except Scott Stoops or Ben would know their intended design incidence.....and I'm not second guessing them. Mine drops the nose when inverted...and does not balloon. When I used to set up planes more tail heavy (near neutral)...they would always balloon.
Im thinking more down the line of a motor thrust issue right now. I guess I should have not said incidence, just was thinking out loud, sorry about that. I'm running A50-12L and Castle HV85 ESC. Two 4S 4000 packs all the way up front and a 2S Lipo for RX right behind the firewall. Running rudder servo on pull pull from the servo tray. Still balloons with few lead ounces upfront as well as the baffling i made for the ESC and motor. I hope to take it apart this weekend and take some measurements. It really fly's awesome in every different CG location, just the landing sucks.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:24 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,083 Posts
Personally, I think with that motor you are still tail heavy...if you slid you flight packs all the way to the front and then put the 2S lipo on top of that you might be closer....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined May 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Personally, I think with that motor you are still tail heavy...if you slid you flight packs all the way to the front and then put the 2S lipo on top of that you might be closer....

SteveT
That is were my packs are now, all the way up front. 2 4S 4000 packs and 1 2S 2000 pack. As far as they can go up as well as a few ounces of lead.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:18 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,372 Posts
Yep...I'd suggest strapping in a third pack or 4 more ounces on the nose...try it and see if the balloon goes away.....just try it and see what it does.

That A50 is LIGHT for this plane.

My OSGT33 with exhaust and ignition are way heavier than an A50....
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member