HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:32 AM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy78 View Post
I have a motrofly 5320-300kv with a castle ice 100 for sale. Just pulled it out of my edge and replaced it with a mintor 33.
whatcha askin for the MF setup?
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:28 AM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY View Post
whatcha askin for the MF setup?
I am asking $265 for the motor an speed control shipped in the U.S. I have someone who sent a pm earlier so i will let you know if they take it or not.
skippy78 is online now Find More Posts by skippy78
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:36 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
...(and for some reason I keep thinking about an 8S setup...)
Put a gasser on it and you won't have any time to spend thinking of electric setup, you'll be flying...

Yesterday at the Chattanooga 3D Jam, we played pass the box on the 74....about 10 people kept my 74 in the air hot-lapping through 4 straight back-2-back 12 minute flights while I was busy packing up some planes when a storm was expected to blow through....everyone loved the GT33/18x6W/7955's on 2s lipo setup. It's a perfect combination for sure.

In all fairness, the electric setup flies really great....but I tend to heat up 6s power setups, having to fly 5min flights and wait for motor cooling between flights. With the gas setup, just FLY anytime, all the time, wide open for an entire flight if you want to...then tank it up, flip it and repeat. There's no way to compare the flight time you can get with Gas vs. electric on this size of plane.

It's not like a 48" that you can take a box of batts and fly back-2-back...or at least I couldn't on 6s due to motor temps. I kept heating up motors or batts on my 6s 70-slick, so this 74 replaced it. On my 65, I fly then wait for motor cooling....on my 62, the batts come down pretty warm every time. For me, if it's bigger than 60", it'll be gas.

Skippy, how's that mintor 33? How many engines do they make between 30 and 40cc? Good to have a choice of the 33 and 38 I suppose. I can't wait to fly Hosam's 38 in Ohio...hint, hint...
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:52 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
Put a gasser on it and you won't have any time to spend thinking of electric setup, you'll be flying...
....yeah, up high!

No waiting between flights with my Motrolfly 5320 on 8s. No limit to the amount that I can fly back-to-back with my Powerlab 8 parallel charging up to 6 packs in less than 20 minutes either.

My gas experience on the other hand involved tonnes of time on the ground getting things running right, way too much time flying up high while things broke-in, way too much time repairing the airframe due to unexplained engine flameouts, way too much time flying up high to gain confidence in the power system (which never happened), way too much time constantly repairing the airframe due to wear and tear caused by the vibration, way too much time getting the gas smell out of my SUV/basement, and way too much time driving to the field since it was too loud to fly gorilla style close to town. On top of that a gasser couldn't do anything for it's lack of power due to my altitude. With electric I can just prop up.

Other than flight times (which is a non-issue since I bought a Powerlab with the money from my gas engine), there wasn't much benefit of gas for me. Guys love to preach about the flight times of gas, but always fail to mention any of the negatives.

They each have their own pluses and minuses depending on personal situation and expectations.
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:56 AM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,494 Posts
Quote:

Skippy, how's that mintor 33? How many engines do they make between 30 and 40cc? Good to have a choice of the 33 and 38 I suppose. I can't wait to fly Hosam's 38 in Ohio...hint, hint...
I haven't got to fly it yet. Hopefully get to put some time on it this week.
skippy78 is online now Find More Posts by skippy78
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:07 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,511 Posts
Agree that gas has a smell. Agree that altitude robs power from gas. Agree with flying high on an engine that you haven't got confidence in (the OS took care of that one for me, I did not enjoy that other engine I had first because of this reason). I haven't had any vibration damage to repair though. I did have an ignition switch fail on me, causing a deadstick drop from 8ft, lucky on the damage though, but I even agree on the damage when you get an unexpected engine stoppage, although I've had deadsticks on electrics when I loosen magnets and seize it up.... And...I also have a PL8....I love it. See, we agree on more than you may think of at first.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:09 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,343 Posts
Quote:
Learn gas...then go 60cc....or just put it off longer...you'll do it someday...
I am real glad I moved to a DA60 30% 3DHS plane. I enjoyed my 71" Slick a lot but the next size up is really a big jump in how well they fly. My Extra SHP is a big foamy. The sound adds to the flying experience too.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:26 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,511 Posts
Wait till the next move to 120cc... Actually, I'd love to see a 120cc version of this 74...I think that'd be really fun.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:56 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:

Yesterday at the Chattanooga 3D Jam, we played pass the box on the 74....about 10 people kept my 74 in the air hot-lapping through 4 straight back-2-back 12 minute flights while I was busy packing up some planes when a storm was expected to blow through....everyone loved the GT33/18x6W/7955's on 2s lipo setup. It's a perfect combination for sure.

In all fairness, the electric setup flies really great....but I tend to heat up 6s power setups, having to fly 5min flights and wait for motor cooling between flights. With the gas setup, just FLY anytime, all the time, wide open for an entire flight if you want to...then tank it up, flip it and repeat. There's no way to compare the flight time you can get with Gas vs. electric on this size of plane.

It's not like a 48" that you can take a box of batts and fly back-2-back...or at least I couldn't on 6s due to motor temps. I kept heating up motors or batts on my 6s 70-slick, so this 74 replaced it. On my 65, I fly then wait for motor cooling....on my 62, the batts come down pretty warm every time. For me, if it's bigger than 60", it'll be gas.

Yeah Setup's looking like OS GT33, 7955s all around... not sure about the rest. Lol, I'll learn! Ray, you can teach me about gas when you come to see / fly my 40" EPP with lights!
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Aug 05, 2012, 03:05 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:
Wait till the next move to 120cc... Actually, I'd love to see a 120cc version of this 74...I think that'd be really fun.
here's hoping for a 50-60cc version...soon!
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:41 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,022 Posts
Done!!!

All I have to do is solder some Deans on six new 4400mAH packs, and it will be ready for maiden!! I had to add two ounces of lead under the motor box extension to get it to balance at 4.75"...and the packs are all the way to the firewall...

A60-5S on 8S (2X4S 45C 4400mAH Thunder Power packs. Ice 100 ESC, BEC Pro.. Hitec HS985MG's on ailerons, HS-7955TG on elevator, and HS-7985MG on rudder. Xoar 20X10 PJT carbon prop (gas prop)

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:49 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Beautiful plane steve! Have a happy, fun maiden!
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:57 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
All I have to do is solder some Deans on six new 4400mAH packs, and it will be ready for maiden!! I had to add two ounces of lead under the motor box extension to get it to balance at 4.75"...and the packs are all the way to the firewall...

A60-5S on 8S (2X4S 45C 4400mAH Thunder Power packs. Ice 100 ESC, BEC Pro.. Hitec HS985MG's on ailerons, HS-7955TG on elevator, and HS-7985MG on rudder. Xoar 20X10 PJT carbon prop (gas prop)

SteveT
Man Steve, that turned out great! That prop is just beautiful.

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:32 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Nice looking airplane Steve! Are you going to leave her naked, or are you going to throw some Vinyl on?
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:50 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,022 Posts
After my lathe purchase my hobby funds are verging on zero, so, it will just stat naked for a while as will my 71" Slick.....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...