HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:04 AM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
When will the manual be up? (there's no link where is says "click here")

Is it similar to the Slick, where you can do pull-pull or push-pull on the rudder, depending on motor weight?

Is it a fixed horizontal stab like the 71" Slick, or removable?
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:24 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
I knew I wouldn't be able to resist. I've wanted one of these for way too long...
silver ordered.
So for those that have actually flown a production model (has anybody? Team pilots? Ben? Noll?), how heavy are they real world weight, as compared to say a 70/71 Slick?

The 72" SC was about 1/2 lb heavier on the same setup as a 70" Slick. Likewise the 68" Velox is about 1/2 lb lighter than the 70/71" Slick.

The 72" SC was kind of pushing the 6s power system close to the limit, I always thought 8s would have been a better choice on that plane. If this is much heavier than the SC, then I think I definitely should go for 8s, which isn't ideal for me since all my other 68-70" planes are 6s. Would prefere to stay 6s, but I also like a lot of power. I think the 70" Slick is perfect on 2200 watts.

I would love to see bare airframe weights posted on the website, just the assembled plane, no servos/motor/etc. It would make it much easier to plan power systems I think!

as far as I know it's on the lighter side and the development process was in part to make it "less floaty" as it was apparently absurdly floaty with the original larger wings. But will get the info as soon as we have the chance...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:25 AM
Florida
Joined Jan 2010
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam345 View Post
Bout to pre order the red scheme. Thing looks sexy to me. I will be going with an 8s setup. I didn't see the hacker a50-14L on 3dhs and only the 12L is listed for an add on. Would the 12L be ok on 8s and a smaller prop? The only reason I want to get the 12L is because it's $20 cheaper as an add on. Should I just eat the $20 and buy the 14L? This will be my biggest plane to date. Largest now is a 59" slick. Anybody have a link or just tell me how to go about setting up the cc bec pro with receiver and do I use a separate liFe pack to power reciever and servos? If so what cell count and mAh? Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I get all this right being this will be my first big plane and I've always used the internal bec to power everything on all my other planes. Ok I'll go read the 71" slick thread now to see how people set there's up.
Just my $0.02 but I would recommend looking into the Motrofly 4325-310. I have the 280kV motor on my 71" Slick and it is ridiculous. I'm running a CC Ice 100A, Xoar 20x8 and a separate LiFe Rx pack.

As for the Rx/servo power you can either use the internal BEC or a separate Rx pack. If you use a Rx pack you will have to disable the ESC internal BEC by cutting or pulling out the middle red wire. One tip is to plug it into an extension and cut the middle wire on that so you aren't messing w/ the ESC wires.

I personally like using the separate Rx pack because that way if the flight batteries eject or destroy themselves you can at least have power to glide the plane in. For reference I use an 1800mAH LiFe in my Slick and I take out roughly 80-90mAH per 8:30 min flight.
94'325is is offline Find More Posts by 94'325is
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:26 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6Amp View Post
Both schemes are awesome, Arron. Do you have any pics of the bottom of the red Edge?
will get pics of the bottom as soon as my silver one turns up... but it's chordwise stripes like the rest of Scotts planes (my personal favorite for wing bottoms).
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:27 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
When will the manual be up? (there's no link where is says "click here")

Is it similar to the Slick, where you can do pull-pull or push-pull on the rudder, depending on motor weight?

Is it a fixed horizontal stab like the 71" Slick, or removable?
Fixed stab. It builds like the 72. The first batch of builders may be building off the 72 Extra manual until we can get caught up.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:28 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon737 View Post
Looks sweet!

Does it have sfg's I noticed 2 holes in the end of wing for possible attachment?

Mightily tempted with this one!
it does come with SFG's...
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielisrael View Post
subscribed....

Waiting for the 58" version. Hope they use the same red scheme for it.

mebby
Joined Mar 2010
1,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
will get pics of the bottom as soon as my silver one turns up...
Has it changed since the video of Joe flying the prototype?
DFflyer is offline Find More Posts by DFflyer
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:31 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFflyer View Post
Has it changed since the video of Joe flying the prototype?
good point, I don't think so... should be what's in the video afaik.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:33 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan5.0 View Post
Me too, Im hoping for the large checkers like the Slick and the bigger SC's
bigger SC's have the large bars running the chord of the wing... I think the Edge is the same...
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:36 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsmith123 View Post
Is the canopy like the 71" Slick with the long cut-out for the battery?

How is upright and inverted harrier at the hands of a mere mortal?

Joe Smith is from the planet Volton or something.
It has a cowling like the 72" Extra as it's both gas and electric.

Harrier is awesome simply because it's an Edge... that wing is simply the best for harrier, much for forgiving to lazy corrections on rudder and ailerons. Expect that mere mortals will love to harrier the Edge.

...and yes, Joe is from planet Voltron... unsure who he connects with in order to form the massive robot though...
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:39 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,145 Posts
Finally!!!

I'm in for a red one, plus some goddies. Perfect timing with the discount!! And used up some points! I have 5 left now.

Nice job everyone!

Rob
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:43 AM
Intergalctic Coffee Enthusiast
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
Oh Em Gee!!! That is awesome! I just got my 48" Edge in the air yesterday... Now I see this. That is really awesome!
MaddSkillz is offline Find More Posts by MaddSkillz
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:44 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
bigger SC's have the large bars running the chord of the wing... I think the Edge is the same...
I too prefer the Slick's checkers on the bottom of the wings, but bars on the bottom go well with the Edge scheme. I am sure the bottom looks like the proto-type for the silver since it is the exact scheme.

BTW - I changed my mind on the scheme I want.... I want a 58" silver one!
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
Last edited by gabrielisrael; Oct 31, 2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:22 PM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Oh yeah the large bars, those are sweet too.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0