SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:02 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_MonsterMash View Post
Might be thinking of an electric setup is the tacon really all that good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_MonsterMash View Post
Comparable to hacker or motrofly?
I don't think you'll notice anything in the air performance wise.

I've been flying a Tacon 110 in my 71" Slick for the last year and have over 150 flights on it with either an 18X8 or 19X8 prop. My buddy had a Motrofly in his Slick and I couldn't see a performance difference when we flew together. I think the Tacon may be the heavier of the three motors.

At this time the Tacon still seems to be holding up very well. Bearings are tight and quiet, windings still look clean and bright, no magnet issues, and response/power is like day one. Now, it could go south on the next flight and that to me is the issue with the budget setups. How will the parts (motor, ESC, servos, etc.) hold up over the long run?
Capt. Roll is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:45 AM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Roll View Post
I don't think you'll notice anything in the air performance wise.

I've been flying a Tacon 110 in my 71" Slick for the last year and have over 150 flights on it with either an 18X8 or 19X8 prop. My buddy had a Motrofly in his Slick and I couldn't see a performance difference when we flew together. I think the Tacon may be the heavier of the three motors.

At this time the Tacon still seems to be holding up very well. Bearings are tight and quiet, windings still look clean and bright, no magnet issues, and response/power is like day one. Now, it could go south on the next flight and that to me is the issue with the budget setups. How will the parts (motor, ESC, servos, etc.) hold up over the long run?
I had the motrolfly 5320 in mine before I went "budget" and got the Tacon. I honestly can't tell the difference in flight. I'm running mine with an APC 19x10 prop, and temps are around 20-25 degrees over ambient (I did add some cooling baffles also).
Also, the Tacon being a little heavier helped me to get the Edge balanced nicely.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:02 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Roll View Post
Thanks Bivens. I was hoping someone had some experience with the PTE, good or bad, and would make a post.

Met you and Wamsey last year at the Grapevine, TX 3DHS Fly-In hosted by the 114th club. Bought my first 3DHS there; a 71" AJ Slick.
A buddy of mine has a PTE36 on his 70" Slick...his RCG handle is "brathanke "
PM him or check out the 71" Slick thread for more info.
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:31 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Tacon in my 72 is up to about 40-50 flights. No issues. It is about 22oz, the lightened 5320 is about 20oz. No downside so far. The weight is not that bad as my 74 and 72 like more weight up front.

I've had 2 Hackers(non budget motors) toss magnets in under 5 flights(one on my 74). So you never know. The hackers were replaced for free, tacon probably not but I can buy another motor or 2 and still be sort of ok.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittjeff View Post
Anybody have a pair of sfg's for the silver scheme I can buy?
PM me if you want me to trace mine. you can make them pretty easy. paint them of cover them. Solid piece of 1/8" ply would probably work fine.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:13 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, OH, New Albany
Joined Jun 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittjeff View Post
Anybody have a pair of sfg's for the silver scheme I can buy?
I still need them, but you can trace mine and build a set if you can't find any.
blaiss is offline Find More Posts by blaiss
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:24 PM
Team Hillbilly 🐘💨
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2010
960 Posts
Thanks for the offers guys. I have one I can trace but I was being lazy. I like using sfg's on most of my planes. This one should not be different
bullittjeff is offline Find More Posts by bullittjeff
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:37 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, OH, New Albany
Joined Jun 2006
418 Posts
No problem Jeff.

Looking forward to your impression of the plane.
I have a similar setup as yours, but I'm currently flying on Xoar 20X10. seems to have plenty of pull, but I'm getting ready to switch the prop out to 21X10. My 6s 5000 pack is pushed all the way up to the firewall. It does incredible walls! I''ve only got about 10 packs through it, so I'm still locking in the setup. Can't seem to get rid of wing rocking in harriers.
blaiss is offline Find More Posts by blaiss
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaiss View Post
No problem Jeff.

Looking forward to your impression of the plane.
I have a similar setup as yours, but I'm currently flying on Xoar 20X10. seems to have plenty of pull, but I'm getting ready to switch the prop out to 21X10. My 6s 5000 pack is pushed all the way up to the firewall. It does incredible walls! I''ve only got about 10 packs through it, so I'm still locking in the setup. Can't seem to get rid of wing rocking in harriers.
Try this...

How is your plane balanced(CG). Mine is just slightly nose heavy when inverted for reference.

For wing rock, make sure you are on high rates...go up a bit and do a full upright elevator...using the elevator only of course. There should be no wing rock, this is basically a harrier. When doing a typical harrier, lock it into the AOA you like(my 74 is not that picky), then take your hand off the left stick. If the plane drifts left or right, try and trim it straight. If you can lock it in without wing rock and no left hand then you may have found the problem. Best if you can do this in calm winds so you are not fighting the wind.

If mine starts to wing rock, I lay off the left hand it usually corrects the problem.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:09 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Try this...
......When doing a typical harrier, lock it into the AOA you like(my 74 is not that picky), then take your hand off the left stick. If the plane drifts left or right, try and trim it straight. ...
if you trim for harrier, won't it then be out of trim for all other modes of flight?
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:25 PM
Watts is where its at!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2004
1,748 Posts
Hey Horton, are you busy unpacking lots of Edge 540 spare parts??
racerxky is offline Find More Posts by racerxky
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
if you trim for harrier, won't it then be out of trim for all other modes of flight?
Probably, but point is if you are always on the rudder, you'll get wing rock. But you should be able to trim for a harrier just like other stuff. I don't trim mine that way for all flight, it was something I was just playing with last year when my 51 tended to drift in a harrier. One click of trim made a difference. I know I tend to hang on to the rudder to long, probably taps work better.

The elevator was something I think Ben or km posted some time ago.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:13 PM
Yeeah buddy!
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2010
2,451 Posts
Flying over corn with a camera taped to my cowling.

3DHS 74" Edge Over Corn w/ Onboard Camera (5 min 39 sec)
PinkYakRC is offline Find More Posts by PinkYakRC
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:24 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
I've helped a friend with a PTE36 with it's stock muff on the 74...fits nice...LOTS of power...flies great...FWIW, a PTE36 would be my 2nd choice behind the OS33 I bought.

Why? PTE runs great...Edge flies great on gas, I love mine on 33cc's!

Nice job on inspection. I think all of us that fly really hard should keep things like this in mind.....nothing wrong with routine inspection, no matter what it finds!!

REALLY nice!!! 12-15min of insane power....pull on the throttle ALL you can stand on 8 ounces of gas!!
I've seen your 33 run and it's one fine engine on one fine plane
On the other hand I've known and seen a few guys having problems with the PTE's. Still it's great to know you've had a postive experience with the PTE
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:29 AM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined May 2009
341 Posts
Does anyone know what the size of the wing bolts are for the 540 ? I'm having to buy all new hardware.
gapple12 is offline Find More Posts by gapple12