HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:42 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I was told that the Edge had alittle wing rock over the Slick which has none.
I was a bit disappointed upon hearing this because I think the Edge is so much nicer looking plane than the Slick.
I'm getting ready to buy one or the other and am just weighing all the options.
I need a plane that can Harrier really easy. And do harrier landings easy as well.
Edge's are generally very very good in harriers due to the wing shape. They don't generally rock in my experience. My 74" doesn't. It does however have a large and effective rudder, and when you start turning a harrier if you don't give proper corrective aileron input you do induce some wing rock. Like others have said, it's pilot induced... once you get used to the plane a bit you find that you automatically learn to give the proper amount of corrective aileron to prevent a rock from ever starting and the harriers become very very smooth.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:38 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
For me it's the rudder. I use to play with my 51 in a harrier, maybe it wanted to lean one way or the other, used the rudder trim only to straighten it out. After that it would look like it was hanging from the ceiling. But for whatever reason, upright harrier trim would be a little off for non stalled flight.

Working the trim switch ensured small movements! Unlike my thumbs.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:09 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Yeah in my 42" when I first started flying it I (,notice i said "I" because it's not the plane it's the pilot ) had soooo much wing rock two months later there is none at all even on turns and turn arounds.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:12 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
i just finished mounting the 4325 310 on the 74. It fits, barely. In case anyone needs to know, 3/4" spacer with 1/2" diameter will give you a perfect 1/8" clearance from the back of the spinner to the cowl's opening.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:25 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,511 Posts
No rock on my 74 as long as I don't cause it with "shaky" inputs. Don't forget...any of your inputs can induce Rick if not smoothly coordinated with what you need.....un-smooth throttle use and torque of some power packages require a lot more aileron attention to keep flat.....all of that goes away if you fly smooth....

This airframe is Rock free... If you see rock it's pilot induced.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:36 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
I hear you on ke trimming and weird "not steady" behavior.

how do you typically trim the rudder? I fly directly away from myself and do an upline test. sometimes I feel like I am trimmed to crab...

uplines and downlines. I like the downline test from idle, it will show the plane's tracking through the full speed range from slow to fast without effects of the engine. uplines will show effects of thrust angle and engine power, etc etc...

...the article by Pete Goldsmith is lengthy, but if you do it all the plane will be tracking absurdly well... but he goes into mixes for rudder at different throttle settings, throttle/elevator mixes, etc etc...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:36 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,030 Posts
As to trimming, something I was taught....

To tell the difference between the need for aileron trim and rudder trim.....if a plane is rolling to...say the right, and you don't know if it is being caused by aileron or rudder, roll it inverted....if the direction of roll is still in the same direction, then it is aileron, if not, then it is rudder.....as the rudder reverses when inverted...the ailerons do not...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:58 PM
Old Dog learning new tricks~~
United States, PA, East Stroudsburg
Joined Jan 2011
351 Posts
Just ran 4 packs through this plane again tonight gotta love it
bradhoke08 is offline Find More Posts by bradhoke08
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:23 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,706 Posts
thanks for all the trimming info.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:12 AM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
552 Posts
Motrolfly 4325-310

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
i just finished mounting the 4325 310 on the 74. It fits, barely. In case anyone needs to know, 3/4" spacer with 1/2" diameter will give you a perfect 1/8" clearance from the back of the spinner to the cowl's opening.
DenverJayhawk,

That's how it is supposed to fit, "barely", and you are spot on. For the new guys that are tuning into this thread; please post the pictures of the install.

I've been following and you're getting good with this.

RCMC
RCMC is offline Find More Posts by RCMC
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:59 AM
Joined Jan 2011
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
Your going to love that set-up That's what I have in mine, and yes the cowl clearance is very close. I am currently running a 18x8 prop what are you planning on running on yours? Also mine is a 8 cell batt, (2-4cell 5000mah 30/40c)
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Jan 2011
351 Posts
Here are some pic's of how mine look's and battery location for my set-up anyway...
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Jan 2011
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irg View Post
thanks for all the trimming info.
+1
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:22 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhoke08 View Post
Your going to love that set-up That's what I have in mine, and yes the cowl clearance is very close. I am currently running a 18x8 prop what are you planning on running on yours? Also mine is a 8 cell batt, (2-4cell 5000mah 30/40c)
i'm running a 19x8 xoar for the elevation. Using 8cell 4000mah Gens Ace 25c. My battery location is nearly the same as yours. Maybe just slightly more forward. But there's still good clearance from the front of the batts to the firewall.

I thought about selling these and getting a heavier battery, but I want to see how they work out in the 57sc first.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:23 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhoke08 View Post
Here are some pic's of how mine look's and battery location for my set-up anyway...
well done on the cowl spinner clearance! looks awesome
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick