Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:01 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2009
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
does this plane have wing rock?
Depends who's flying.....

In my experience, No, it does not have any more wing rock than any other 3DHS plane. So thats to say none under the right conditions.
NeverEnough is offline Find More Posts by NeverEnough
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:12 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
Quote:
does this plane have wing rock?
there's no wing rock created by the airframe... but we've had people say that some of our most steady planes (like the 103 Extra) have wing rock, so you'll probably get different answers... but, "no wing rock" is my experience...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:06 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
Nvm.....
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Jun 14, 2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:11 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
What are some of the causes of wing rock? CG
I'm looking to avoid any of the self induced pitfalls
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:13 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Your thumbs.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:29 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
Quote:
What are some of the causes of wing rock? CG
I'm looking to avoid any of the self induced pitfalls
CG, not so much actually... change the CofG for other things, changing it for wing-rock will get you a plane that may not be trimmed well for overall performance.

Skarface is generally right... most wing rock starts from nervous touches to the rudder or ailerons, pilot induced. Many people find that increasing expo greatly reduces or eliminates this effect on the rudder with respect to rocking.

Wing rock as a problem with airframe design is from momentary attachment and detachment of the airflow to the wings, the air movement on the wings (spanwise flow, etc) and various effects of the spiral slipstream of the prop not being symmetrical. These are the things out of pilot control of course and all up to airframe design. When an airframe is without wing rock, generally the airframe has managed to mitigate these issues due to its shape alone.

Edges, due to the wing planform, have very adept harrier performance in general all else being equal...
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:35 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,662 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong here, but it seems like the issue of "wing rock" as a general airframe flaw isn't really applicable to any of the high quality 3D/aerobatic arfs from 3DHS/EF, or PA even. it's something that doesn't really seem to be a concern with today's airframes.

more pertinent to my needs/wants are:
-knife edge coupling (or hopefully a lack thereof)
-stability at both high and low speeds (precision and 3D capabilities)
-enough pitch authority to get violent (usually more a matter of proper equipment selection and setup)
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:49 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
correct me if I'm wrong here, but it seems like the issue of "wing rock" as a general airframe flaw isn't really applicable to any of the high quality 3D/aerobatic arfs from 3DHS/EF, or PA even. it's something that doesn't really seem to be a concern with today's airframes.
in general, pretty good... and I'll avoid any tense conversation that may come from getting into specifics, but there are some airframes in this group that have rock or weird "not steady" behavior when in harrier or harrier turns

KE coupling is the one that I'm really not worried about... computer mixes come into play, and getting a plane to fly straight regardless is an important enough trim step. Happily if you use CofG's close to the designers preferences these days it's not much of a step to worry about...
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:49 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,662 Posts
I hear you on ke trimming and weird "not steady" behavior.

how do you typically trim the rudder? I fly directly away from myself and do an upline test. sometimes I feel like I am trimmed to crab...
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:47 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
There is an article floating around somewhere about trimming your plane. It is pretty old and very involved and would probably take me a week to work through it step by step.

If I remember correctly, I thought correct rudder trim was achievied by going straight down with no power.

Feel free to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:37 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
KE coupling is the one that I'm really not worried about... computer mixes come into play, and getting a plane to fly straight regardless is an important enough trim step.
I thought the same after flying 3DHS exclusively for the past couple of years. I got a bipe from another manufacturer this spring that has a whole lot of KE coupling (pitch and roll) though. No problem I thought, I'll just mix it out. Now when I do rolling circles and other rolling manuevers, the roll rate slows down and speeds up dramatically due to the excessive rudder mixes. I'm either going to have to put the mixes on a switch, or just get rid of them and fly it out with my thumbs.

It's very disappointing flying it back to back with my Edge!
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:54 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I was told that the Edge had alittle wing rock over the Slick which has none.
I was a bit disappointed upon hearing this because I think the Edge is so much nicer looking plane than the Slick.
I'm getting ready to buy one or the other and am just weighing all the options.
I need a plane that can Harrier really easy. And do harrier landings easy as well.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:06 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
+1 to the notion that most wing rock is pilot induced. Many times I have gotten a new plane and found that I can't seem to keep it steady in a harrier. Then after many 'getting to know you' flights, the plane and I become acquainted and the wing rock goes away.

I've not flown the 74 Edge but I am very confident in saying that the airframe has no tendancy to wing rock.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie