HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2012, 04:24 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
My thoughts to. Guess those EF and PA need all the help they can get. Even if it's from cut up pieces of window glass frame.
Notice I did not say anything bad about theirs...just how much I like my planes.... I really enjoy my 3dhs planes and I've got too many other projects going....won't be doing my own vortex generator tests anytime soon....my planes fly nice the way they were designed.
Bivens is online now Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 04:29 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
Heavy!!

SteveT
30cc maybe.... but what about 50cc ultimate? :P (with top wing failures)
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old May 02, 2012, 10:44 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,439 Posts
Quote:
My thoughts to. Guess those EF and PA need all the help they can get. Even if it's from cut up pieces of window glass frame.
Actually... while I do love my 3dhs planes, and God knows I've owned a few (4 42" Slicks, 2 51's, a 59, a 70, an 89, a 41, 47" Edge, 48" Edge, 55" Edge, 74" Edge, 57" Extra, 72" Extra, 87" SHP, 33" EPP Extra, 38" EPP Slick, 46" Yak) I also own that particular EF 60" Edge. I love the thing. I have no vortex generators. That thing flies better than any of the 3dhs Edges that I have owned. Without the SFG's even. That plane is one of the favorites in my hangar. It blows away the older 3dhs 55" Edge. I've not flown the new 58 yet, so I can't comment on comparisons there. The 48" MXS also rocks. The 48" Edge and 48" Extra from EF aren't my favorites, but the 60" Edge and 48" MXS are both sweet planes.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old May 03, 2012, 12:19 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,496 Posts
Too bad it doesn't look like an Edge...I can't get past the double canopy. I know that there is a two seater Edge, but it's rare and just looks wrong IMO. I've asked Chris to make an optional canopy, but he's pretty against it because the extra fuse area of the two seater helps with knife edge (probably why it flys better even without SFG's). I'll take flying ability over looks any day...but only to a point.
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old May 03, 2012, 01:04 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. View Post
Too bad it doesn't look like an Edge...I can't get past the double canopy. I know that there is a two seater Edge, but it's rare and just looks wrong IMO. I've asked Chris to make an optional canopy, but he's pretty against it because the extra fuse area of the two seater helps with knife edge (probably why it flys better even without SFG's). I'll take flying ability over looks any day...but only to a point.
Personally I like the 540T better.....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; May 03, 2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old May 03, 2012, 01:21 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,496 Posts
The real one looks a little better, but it just looks like an Extra with the wrong wings to me. It makes the Edge lose all of its fast hot rod looks IMO. There's a reason that Red Bull two seater Edge is only used for media rides and not for racin'!!!
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old May 03, 2012, 01:33 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,606 Posts
To each his/her own....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old May 03, 2012, 03:13 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,207 Posts
ProtekRC 19x8 electric beechwood prop, on the OS GT33... epic combo, just say'n.

(the disclaimer is a rather long spiel but everything I've done with this prop on this engine is saying that it's not a problem. wood is an amazing material, it can absorb vibration. The Protek electric props seem a little more sturdy than typical electric woody props. The GT33 is a single prop nut without extra holes through the hub weakening the prop. higher pitch props are thicker and naturally more sturdy. anyone considering this does so knowing that it's against "conventional wisdom", and that if for some reason you throw a blade expect the front of your plane to explode with happiness... )
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old May 03, 2012, 03:37 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,606 Posts
Well....my servos didn't explode with happiness.....but about a half hour ago, I had two Hitec HS-7955TG servos go up in smoke...

I had set up my rudder and elevator a few days ago with no problems, and this evening went out to set up my ailerons.. I plugged in one servo which was mounted into the wing, but didn't even have a control horn on the servo. I plugged in my setup pack (a 5 cell nimh pack). and turned the switch to the receiver on, and the bind lights started blinking and wouldn't stop...so, I thought...ok...needs to be re-bound. so, I tried to bind it, and it wouldn't bind, and about that time, I smell something...and felt the plug on the battery getting warm...so I unplugged it. So...since this was a brand new R921...I thought....hmmmm...it worked fine when I set up my rudder and elevator... So... I unplugged everything from it, and it bound fine, and no smells..and no hot battery plug. So...I think....ok...maybe bad servo....so, I grabbed the other wing...and exactly the same thing happened...only this time I see smoke coming from the servo!!! Now... I have never heard of a receiver being bad and smoking servos, so I plugged in four JR DS821 digital servos using the same extensions that were plugged into the aileron and aux one spots....no problems with any of them...all work fine...

I then pulled the two Hitec servos out of the wing...and both had melted spots on the bottom of the servos!! So...it looks like two out of the three servos that I bought for this plane are bad....right out of the boxes!! The third seems to be fine, as does the other servo I had...but I don't trust the third one I bought...and the problem is that I don't know which of the two that didn't melt/smoke was the one I had, or the new one....so...ok to Hitec for all of them!!!

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old May 03, 2012, 08:59 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Your comment is just wrong. I own a 71" Slick, a 60" EF Extra EXP and a 48" EF Edge EXP and I love them all. Quite honestly, the best flying plane in the group is the 60" extra with the Slick a close 2nd....yes, that EXP Extra is THAT good. I love both companies and they both make a great product. IMO the the sub 70" planes from EF rule and the 70" and up planes from 3DHS rule but really, they are both so good it is a matter of what a person likes but please don't say EF planes need help unless you have actually built and flown one
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old May 03, 2012, 09:28 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. View Post
I also prefer the look of the regular edge over the T version. The reason that EF modeled the T version is for knife edge performance they have said. Gets slightly more fuselage area and improves knife edge characteristics. Oh well... it flies nicely so I got over the gigantic plain looking canopy. Now the racing canopy on the 74" 3dhs edge is awesome. Definitely the best looking canopy on any plane I've seen!
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old May 03, 2012, 09:36 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Your comment is just wrong. I own a 71" Slick, a 60" EF Extra EXP and a 48" EF Edge EXP and I love them all. Quite honestly, the best flying plane in the group is the 60" extra with the Slick a close 2nd....yes, that EXP Extra is THAT good. I love both companies and they both make a great product. IMO the the sub 70" planes from EF rule and the 70" and up planes from 3DHS rule but really, they are both so good it is a matter of what a person likes but please don't say EF planes need help unless you have actually built and flown one
No plans to buy one, no plans to fly one. And I'm not the one saying they need help, the owners that add the VG plastic do.

And I thought I was overly brand loyal....

robj is online now Find More Posts by robj
Old May 03, 2012, 09:49 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
No plans to buy one, no plans to fly one. And I'm not the one saying they need help, the owners that add the VG plastic do.

And I thought I was overly brand loyal....

LOL..you are calling ME brand loyal?? I own both I haven't added anything to my EF planes so not sure what the heck that's about, lol. Have you actually seen how an EXP series plane is constructed? I am guessing not

My point was don't knock em till you try one. That being said, they are both great plane makers and great people to deal with. And just to keep things on track, I did fly the 3DHS 74" edge (a guy in our club has one) and it is a very nice airplane that I would like to build some day.
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old May 03, 2012, 10:19 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,174 Posts
Quote:
Whew, thats old way of thinking post right there bro. . I think the feller who put those on his extra was just tinkering. Its what some folk do in the hobby is tinker. Needed? No, neat? Yep me thinks.
Also Id put 3dhs and EF in sentence about similar awsomeness, but only those two.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old May 03, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
LOL..you are calling ME brand loyal?? I own both I haven't added anything to my EF planes so not sure what the heck that's about, lol. Have you actually seen how an EXP series plane is constructed? I am guessing not

My point was don't knock em till you try one. That being said, they are both great plane makers and great people to deal with. And just to keep things on track, I did fly the 3DHS 74" edge (a guy in our club has one) and it is a very nice airplane that I would like to build some day.
Actually I called myself out for being overly brand loyal. You inferred it, then implied it.

It's all good, really, my comments were based solely on the little stick on things. It's not something I would do to any plane I own, even if RJ or AJ did it.
robj is online now Find More Posts by robj