HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:28 AM
Yeeah buddy!
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2010
2,451 Posts
Connector wars? You mean there is something other than deans?!
PinkYakRC is offline Find More Posts by PinkYakRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:56 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkYakRC View Post
Connector wars? You mean there is something other than deans?!
yea Power Poles they rock
no soldering!
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:48 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,525 Posts
Deans.....don't have to buy a crimper!! Rock even more...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post

SteveT
till you try putting them on 10awg wire and making a series cable with power lead off the low side for a BEC.....

no really try doing 10AWG and 14AWG to the SAME deans >.> ill take Power Poles oh and Power Poles can take a much higher amp load i wouldnt use deans on a 14S setup and im really thinking of going to on my 12S
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:53 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
till you try putting them on 10awg wire and making a series cable with power lead off the low side for a BEC.....

no really try doing 10AWG and 14AWG to the SAME deans >.> ill take Power Poles oh and Power Poles can take a much higher amp load i wouldnt use deans on a 14S setup and im really thinking of going to on my 12S
Do the BEC pro differently. What I do is peel back some of the insulation, use a pick to make a hole in the strands, slip the bec pro in there. Solder on both sides. Be sure to slip on some shrink tubing. Lock it all down with that. Less stress IMO than being on the connector. So far so good!

I also reied some little deans helpers, you solder the round wire into a round connector, then slip the connector on the flat deans and solder. They worked pretty nice. I use 4mm bullets to. I think there is less spark when connecting the bullets.

Rob
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
i hate soldering in general so im going to go to power poles i think the summer any when i build my new 1500w 24v charging setup with 2x HP server psus and a power lab 6 might get an 8 dont know the 8 would work if i ever built a 700 and went 14S
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:38 PM
Yeeah buddy!
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2010
2,451 Posts
Actually, I have plans to switch to power poles.

(delete)
Last edited by PinkYakRC; Apr 26, 2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: This is the 74" thread...
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:03 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,443 Posts
Quote:

SteveT
My solder irons keep burning out, but my crimper has never burned out!
G.P. is online now Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:15 PM
Yeeah buddy!
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2010
2,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
I think there is less spark when connecting the bullets.

Rob
When I connect the deans plugs on my 89" Slick it seems like a small explosion...
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:38 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkYakRC View Post
Actually, I have plans to switch to power poles.

(delete)
I'll never look back after switching to powerpoles. Set up a parrallel board the other day, 12 power pole halves, took me 20 minutes tops. Would've taken me hours to do with Deans. Course I'm lousy at soldering also.
stevelmaa is offline Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:02 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,443 Posts
I'm liking that the area on the Power Poles that first makes connection (and therefore gets the arcing and sparking) isn't the main contact area.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:26 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. View Post
I'm liking that the area on the Power Poles that first makes connection (and therefore gets the arcing and sparking) isn't the main contact area.
Isn't on Deans either, as they arc at the tip, and then are slid past that point...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:09 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,000 Posts
Well, I thought I had a cg issue with my 74. Toyed around with it a bit before resorting to adding unnecessary weight to the nose and it turns out both ailerons were down ever so slightly and wow what a difference it made. Trimmed them up to where they should have been to begin with and voila....no climbing when inverted and zero coupling on knife edge. Ive set up alot of planes but never would have dreamed that less than 1/8" of "flaps" on a plane of this size would have made that drastic of a difference. I guess its just another testament to 3DHS planes...Soooo well engineered and balanced that millimeters of adjustment make a world of difference. Gotta love this one!!!!!!!! Back to the site to order another one, (not the 74 till back in stock) smaller one to keep in the backseat for lunch hour flying
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:16 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,443 Posts
Quote:
Isn't on Deans either, as they arc at the tip, and then are slid past that point...

SteveT
My high voltage Deans always seemed to get connection issues over time. I assumed it was due to the arcing. I just switched to PP's on my larger birds this season though, so time will tell....
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:14 PM
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Jan 2011
474 Posts
Anyone have pics of the fuselage with a gas setup ? I'm assuming the throttle servo will be pretty close to the firewall ?
yankphan is offline Find More Posts by yankphan