HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:26 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Rob,

Thanks for the side by side comparison pics. I was curious on the size compared to the Extra and the Slick. That red scheme on the Edge makes it appear bigger when the other two aren't around.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:36 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,440 Posts
Quote:
Those were another head scratcher, in the bag with the gear there were some small phillips screws and 4 black allen machine screws. There are holes in the CF gear to mount from the bottom. machine scres a no go so I used the phillips, little long and one slight poked through. Left the others a little lose. Never saw any other screws.

Wonder how Bevens did his?

CF gear on the SC is shaped a little different, but they look pretty universal if they will fit over the gear. Looks like fiberglass with rubber edges. They nicely hold on the gear cover plate. First time I've ever used that.
I used the black cap screws (looked metric, a pretty fine thread) to mount the gear cuffs....they threaded into the carbon fiber gear's pre-drilled holes easily if you line up the holes.

I also put a small squirt of gorilla glue beneath my gear cover plate to keep it from rattling around...but I think the cuffs would hold it just fine with no glue if you like it that way....I think that's how I have my 104....no glue on the cover plate, it's been fine.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:38 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,150 Posts
For some reason they all appear huge when I open them up and compare them to my trunk plane, 51. But the old 70 may be turned a bit, I remember it being a lot bigger "looking" side by side to the SC, it stands taller than the SC like the Edge does. Biggest surprise is how much shorter the Edge is and the smallish rudder. The slick has a massive rudder. Not saying that's good or bad...just saying.

I was to tired to lay the wings out.

To me the red is the "sexy" scheme, the silver is the racey scheme. I'm a happy camper!
robj is online now Find More Posts by robj
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:40 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Are the edge wings deeper (longer fwd to aft) at the root than the slick or Extra? They look really deep (or wide, whatever) when just looking at the Edge.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:47 AM
Joined Nov 2008
8,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
I used the black cap screws (looked metric, a pretty fine thread) to mount the gear cuffs....they threaded into the carbon fiber gear's pre-drilled holes easily if you line up the holes.

I also put a small squirt of gorilla glue beneath my gear cover plate to keep it from rattling around...but I think the cuffs would hold it just fine with no glue if you like it that way....I think that's how I have my 104....no glue on the cover plate, it's been fine.
Thanks for the comment, you screwed them in from the bottom right? I could not get the holes to line up on those. Pressed hard up and just could not get them to start. I may give them another shot tonight.

BTW, do you know what the gear allen size is? Looks like a 5mm screw, maybe a 3.5mm or 4mm allen? I didn't have one long enough to go through the E-box. I need a T handle.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:55 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Thanks for the comment, you screwed them in from the bottom right? I could not get the holes to line up on those. Pressed hard up and just could not get them to start. I may give them another shot tonight.

BTW, do you know what the gear allen size is? Looks like a 5mm screw, maybe a 3.5mm or 4mm allen? I didn't have one long enough to go through the E-box. I need a T handle.
Uh....see photo above....screw heads are visible on the bottom of the cuffs...

I think I used a 3mm allen wrench on the main gear bolts......I used the DLE 30 standoffs and not the E-box so I don't know what size blind nuts and screws were included for E-box mounting....I'd guess you'll need a 3 or 4mm wrench to reach through the E-box to the firewall...that's how my 68velox was set up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:42 AM
Denver Colorado
Joined Jan 2010
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinhigh025 View Post
Nice Steve! Good speed building once again.

How about some video?!

I can possibly get some video tomorrow! Depending on who is with me when I go out.
grubby is offline Find More Posts by grubby
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:16 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
Are the edge wings deeper (longer fwd to aft) at the root than the slick or Extra? They look really deep (or wide, whatever) when just looking at the Edge.
I'll get a couple shots this evening. The stripes might make them look deeper(know what ya mean).

The airfoil is more like the SC, the slicks airfoil is much thicker.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:52 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,597 Posts
Grubby - where are you flying tomorrow? Cherry Creek?
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:37 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,440 Posts
5 flights on the edge today.....no engine trouble....runs nice....

Yesterday I had it lean and that's the reason for it dying....when I tuned it yesterday I noted that there was a WIDE range on the top needle that gave me similar RPM.....so I went to where it got a lean bog then backed off. Of course....that was bad....

So I talked with a little engine angel and she told me to try the rich-side of the "good-running" range of the top needle....so when I got here today I started by richening the top about 5/16 of a turn.....and I kept going richer each flight till the midrange started a "burble"......overall, I am about 1/2 turn rich compared to yesterday....

Of course, with each top-end adjustment came a bottom adjustment to get idle right....and with that came a throttle low EPA adjustment.

I have a lot of gasser experience an it was embarrassing to make that mistake yesterday but I thought you all would learn from the mistake if I shared it.

I did have isenbed take a video on the third flight today.....including a cold start after a 10min cooldown period. I'll try to get this video processed tonight.

This airframe is an excellent aerodynamic package.....the best Harrier I've ever seen, smooth but very responsive roll.....very low KE coupling at the center 1/2 of rudder stick with just a little more roll on full travel of the rudder....easy to KE with zero mix......locked into a hover....and flew light.

Video coming soon....
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:44 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
cool. In your defense, yesterday it was cold, windy, and raining.

Glad it's running well.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:46 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,440 Posts
Oh yes...I checked CG..... Almost 3D neutral.....just a TINY bit of drop inverted. It would be easy to make it tailheavy.....for SURE, put the rudder servo as pull-pull!!!! And take it easy on throws.....this plane is VERY responsive.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2011, 06:35 PM
Check Your Bolts!!
Grove, Ok
Joined Feb 2005
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
5 flights on the edge today.....no engine trouble....runs nice....

Yesterday I had it lean and that's the reason for it dying....when I tuned it yesterday I noted that there was a WIDE range on the top needle that gave me similar RPM.....so I went to where it got a lean bog then backed off. Of course....that was bad....

So I talked with a little engine angel and she told me to try the rich-side of the "good-running" range of the top needle....so when I got here today I started by richening the top about 5/16 of a turn.....and I kept going richer each flight till the midrange started a "burble"......overall, I am about 1/2 turn rich compared to yesterday....

Of course, with each top-end adjustment came a bottom adjustment to get idle right....and with that came a throttle low EPA adjustment.

I have a lot of gasser experience an it was embarrassing to make that mistake yesterday but I thought you all would learn from the mistake if I shared it.

I did have isenbed take a video on the third flight today.....including a cold start after a 10min cooldown period. I'll try to get this video processed tonight.

This airframe is an excellent aerodynamic package.....the best Harrier I've ever seen, smooth but very responsive roll.....very low KE coupling at the center 1/2 of rudder stick with just a little more roll on full travel of the rudder....easy to KE with zero mix......locked into a hover....and flew light.

Video coming soon....
Engine Angel?? She??
Glad it went well today. Can't wait to get mine here and put together. I love Edges.
You just wait Mrs. Bivens, I'll get ya.
JClark is offline Find More Posts by JClark
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:41 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
So send me the three NIB kits and then you will have an excuse to get a new one!
But none are available...and I don't think I would want to trade them for an Edge, even though I am sure it is a great plane. I have a NIB 68" Velox, a 48" Edge, and a (excuse the brand X) Great Planes "Mr. Mulligan" (1930's era race plane)

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:47 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jul 2008
700 Posts
That 68 velox is a 3d monster it doesnt get a lot of credit compared to the slicks and extras. Hope you get to enjoy yours soon steve
ctunder77 is offline Find More Posts by ctunder77