HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:44 PM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
dang, i would really like to have a 72 to complete my 7x collection too. I love my 57, second only to my 71, and i really need to fly a 72 to see if i like it as much. too bad i'm so far away from all the huckfest events this year or i might have gotten that chance. there is one in WA but it seems like even though the huckfest tour is sponsored by 3DHS hardly any one who flies 3DHS or is affiliated with them will be attending really so i'm not pushing too hard to make it. i will if i can though.
lammbn is online now Find More Posts by lammbn
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:14 PM
Goes to eleven!
Bellingham WA
Joined Mar 2009
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammbn View Post
dang, i would really like to have a 72 to complete my 7x collection too. I love my 57, second only to my 71, and i really need to fly a 72 to see if i like it as much. too bad i'm so far away from all the huckfest events this year or i might have gotten that chance. there is one in WA but it seems like even though the huckfest tour is sponsored by 3DHS hardly any one who flies 3DHS or is affiliated with them will be attending really so i'm not pushing too hard to make it. i will if i can though.
I'll be there with several others flying the flag with many examples of 3DHS Awesomeness!

I'll have the 38, 48, 57, 71, 72, 87 and 104" - woohoo!

(disclaimer-may be some attrition between now and then)

Last year was a fantastic event and it looks to be bigger this year.

This is a really great event at one of the best flying facilities around.

Joe
JK13 is offline Find More Posts by JK13
Last edited by JK13; Apr 23, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:54 PM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
Thats good to know! I've asked on flying giants and around here before but i didn't get a very positive response from the 3dhs crowd about attending. I wish i could plan that far out right now so i could secure accommodations but regardless i am going to make a good effort to make it. I would really like to attend an event of this size. If i can find a trailer i will be there in full force with my 33, 48, 57, 58, 71, and 74.

quick question, I know they have RV spots separate from the parking area but do you think they would frown on me crashing in my vehicle at night? I'm a country boy and can handle sleeping in the back of my truck just fine. we don't need no campers or RV's

option two is to leave the 7x planes at home and pack the rest of my fleet in the cessna 172 and fly down there. maybe get a rental SUV or work something out with someone attending.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:09 AM
Goes to eleven!
Bellingham WA
Joined Mar 2009
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Thats good to know! I've asked on flying giants and around here before but i didn't get a very positive response from the 3dhs crowd about attending. I wish i could plan that far out right now so i could secure accommodations but regardless i am going to make a good effort to make it. I would really like to attend an event of this size. If i can find a trailer i will be there in full force with my 33, 48, 57, 58, 71, and 74.

quick question, I know they have RV spots separate from the parking area but do you think they would frown on me crashing in my vehicle at night? I'm a country boy and can handle sleeping in the back of my truck just fine. we don't need no campers or RV's

option two is to leave the 7x planes at home and pack the rest of my fleet in the cessna 172 and fly down there. maybe get a rental SUV or work something out with someone attending.

I doubt they would care - some of the people putting it on are members of our club and are very cool to deal with.
There were a number of people sleeping/camping in tents last year too - right along the flight line.
They will have the big sets of lights for night flying too - fun party!

Joe
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:20 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
dang. now i'm getting exited that i need to make it. I will have to talk to my flying buddy to see if he might want to split a uhaul trailer and head down there with me. If not i have no problems showing up by myself if i can afford it. I hope to make it and see you there!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:41 AM
Goes to eleven!
Bellingham WA
Joined Mar 2009
1,068 Posts
Quote:
dang. now i'm getting exited that i need to make it. I will have to talk to my flying buddy to see if he might want to split a uhaul trailer and head down there with me. If not i have no problems showing up by myself if i can afford it. I hope to make it and see you there!
Yes - it would be great to meet you and have more addicts to hang with!

Last year some of the best pilots around were there too - great to see them fly and get to know them also.

This is such a fun event I can't wait

Stay in touch!

Joe
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:53 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,467 Posts
Do it...I've never been to a huckfest that wasn't tons of fun....
Bivens is online now Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:06 AM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Anyone have any advice for me on installing the hinges on the rudder or elevator? I've only had trouble installing these types of hinges in the past on foam models.

Thanks!

Gary
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:52 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
Anyone have any advice for me on installing the hinges on the rudder or elevator? I've only had trouble installing these types of hinges in the past on foam models.

Thanks!

Gary
HI Gary....

Lets start with the rudder and vertical fin...

I'm "old school", so I like epoxy...and it is simple as can be....

First....fold the hinges and give the actual hinge part a good coating of Vaseline petroleum jelly. Fold the hinge the other way and do the same thing....

Now...make yourself a tool to insert the epoxy into the hole out of a piece of thin dowel rod, or a piece of bamboo skewer (as used for cooking). You may have to sand it down where it will go in easily,

If you don't already have some, get some alcohol from a hardware store, (Acetone could also possibly be used, but might damage the plastic hinges) and have that an some paper towels handy. Rubbing alcohol will work, but not as well, as it has a lot of water in it. The alcohol that you buy at a hardware store has a lot less...and can also be used to thin most epoxies for finishing purposes...

Mix some 30 minute epoxy, and using the tool you just made, insert a generous amount of epoxy into each hole. wipe any excess off of the vertical fin using alcohol.....Then pick up a hinge, and put a little bit of epoxy on the barbed part of the hinge and insert it into the hole. Do this for all of the hinges in the vertical fin. make sure that once they are in, they all fold to 90 degrees to the side of the fin, so there will be no binding when the rudder moves...

Then insert epoxy into all the holes in the rudder and slide the rudder onto the hinges...Make sure you have minimal gap, but also make sure the rudder will move to it's maximum. Again wipe any excess epoxy off with alcohol.

Make sure you have any excess epoxy wiped off, as once it cures, it doesn't come off.

Straighten out your rudder, and put a bit of tape over the vertical find and rubber balance tab on both sides, just to keep it from sagging as the epoxy cures

The Stab/elevator is similar, except that you also have the joiner to do....everything is the same, except for the joiner....

Before you do anything...put it all together "dry" and see if the elevator lines up with the stab, if it does....good, if not, then you can carefully cut a little balsa out of the grove into which the joiner sits, to allow the elevators to line up. With the left elevator balance tab taped to the stab, the right elevator balance tab of mine was a bit high.. so I cut a bit out the whole length of the bottom of the slot at the back on the right elevator, and a bit off the whole length of top inside at the back back . This gave the joiner just a bit of play to allow proper alignment.

One you get everything set....you can start gluing. Again, I used epoxy, but if you do it all at one time like I did, you still have to work quickly....(Hobbypoxy brand, used to make a one hour work time epoxy that was great for this type of thing, as it gave you more working time, and it was also great for using to glass wings and fuselages etc..) And...funny thing...I searched for some online, and found two places in the U.K. that had 1 hour work time epoxy, but none in the U.S...strange...

You use exactly the same procedure, except you also need to put epoxy in the slot for the joiner...do one side...then quickly move to the other side and do the same thing....Again...make sure you get as small a gap as possible, but you also need to make sure you can get full movement...

Using Gorilla glue, is essentially the same...except you don't have to mix the epoxy, and you need to use a Q-tip to get a bit of water into the holes. For smaller planes, you could use "Slo-Zap" for the joiner....I still prefer epoxy..
And..when using Gorilla glue, you need to keep an eye on any glue that oozes out, and wipe it off for about the first 20 minutes or so.....

This is how I do it....others may have other techniques they wish to share...

If you have any questions, you are more than welcome to call me, you have my numbers....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Apr 24, 2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:05 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,496 Posts
ok really want to get one but its still out of stock and looks like 3DHS phone people are closed till the 1st

any one have a red and white airframe for sale ?
Elios000 is online now Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:13 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,126 Posts
Did you check with Esprit or ADC Hobby store???

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:24 AM
Joined Jul 2010
3,496 Posts
both are out of stock oh well
Old Apr 24, 2012, 05:33 AM
United States, MI, Lambertville
Joined Feb 2011
801 Posts
I spoke to Ben at the Toledo show and they don't know when they will be available, best guess from them was end of August.
Balsa Breaker is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Breaker
Old Apr 24, 2012, 05:40 AM
Joined Jul 2010
3,496 Posts
well that sucks might just wait till next winter
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:36 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
HI Gary....

Lets start with the rudder and vertical fin...
Good write up SteveT!

One thing that I do different from the 3DHS manuals is that I do the elevator before the rudder. This allows me to clamp the two elevator halves together while the joiner glue drys. I use a long piece of wood on the top and bottom of the elevator halves and clamp them together for a proper alignment.

Also, don't use CA on the joiner as the manuals (used to?) suggest. One of the most common problems that I read about on here is misaligned elevator halves. Using a glue that gives you time to work, and clamping the halves together while it drys will give you a better chance at getting it right the first time.
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Last edited by G.P.; Sep 01, 2012 at 09:00 PM.