HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:34 PM
3D Wanna Be
Oahu, Hawaii
Joined Jul 2009
3,296 Posts
I lurk all the threads

Hope I can make it to Nall, I may have work conflicts. If not, then FLI may be on the list.
sk8rob is offline Find More Posts by sk8rob
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:16 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
19,912 Posts
So I've been burning gas through my OSGT33 as fast as it will gulp it down. Had some flyable weather on the weekend, some great mornings recently... been getting up early and taking "the walk"...

...few gallons missing for sure.

Anyways, AMainHobbies have brought out a new range of props for both gas and electric, I'm steadily working my way through the stash that I bought. Some very nice props. The 18x8 is revy, 18x10 if you want to load up with more speed, etc etc. I'm loving the 20" props though... currently have a 20x6 on there, it's a stump puller, knocked a little off the top speed which I didn't mind, need a few more flights with it 3D'n around.

Engine has always been a horse though... even mis-tuned on a 20x10 falcon (video posted the other day) was hauling the plane effortlessly (great prop, but a little much for break-in... I think that after a few more gallons it may be the prop of choice). It's weird to see a gurgling engine happily motivating a plane in the vertical direction.

I'm pretty darned happy with the setup... working my way though a few more setup fiddlings, and more props. Going to try a different prop of what I wont say, don't want someone to assume it's a good idea and copy to have a mishap.

Anyways, will find a favorite prop and make a new video... the plane sure is good for throwing around, there's no doubt about that. Love it. Have been really enjoying winding up a KE spin and then dropping the throttle to idle to have a super lazy but still very straight KE spin to the deck... so nice. violent maneuver into a graceful one.

Falcon was the prop in the video (they're such a light prop, I need to get me some more sizes of them for sure to play with)...

Breaking In - 3DHS 74" Edge 540 (7 min 13 sec)

theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:37 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
GT33 gets my compliments. No fear on the "understanding gas"......Remember.....at one point you didn't know electric power well either.... If you go GAS...I'll help you out all I can...give me a PM with your phone number and we'll talk some....

You coming to FLI in Missouri?
Very true... I'll PM you tomorrow. Yep, I'll be at FLI The one thing is I'm upgrading to a DX8 in the next sale, so a big plane will be delayed a bit. It'll be in summer though I'd probably go for a DLE30 'cause I can get 1 for $200 instead of 190 for motor, and $100 for ESC...

EDIT: ADC has a good deal... I'm confused -.-
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Last edited by Park_aviator; Apr 10, 2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:38 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,114 Posts
sa weet!
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:32 PM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,767 Posts
Nice video Arron. The O.S. motor seems nice.
I'll have to check out those props from AMain.

Cory
RC4x4 is online now Find More Posts by RC4x4
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:42 PM
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Jan 2011
296 Posts
You have some serious skills !

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
So I've been burning gas through my OSGT33 as fast as it will gulp it down. Had some flyable weather on the weekend, some great mornings recently... been getting up early and taking "the walk"...

Anyways, AMainHobbies have brought out a new range of props for both gas and electric, I'm steadily working my way through the stash that I bought. Some very nice props. The 18x8 is revy, 18x10 if you want to load up with more speed, etc etc. I'm loving the 20" props though... currently have a 20x6 on there, it's a stump puller, knocked a little off the top speed which I didn't mind, need a few more flights with it 3D'n around.

Engine has always been a horse though... even mis-tuned on a 20x10 falcon (video posted the other day) was hauling the plane effortlessly (great prop, but a little much for break-in... I think that after a few more gallons it may be the prop of choice). It's weird to see a gurgling engine happily motivating a plane in the vertical direction.

I'm pretty darned happy with the setup... working my way though a few more setup fiddlings, and more props. Going to try a different prop of what I wont say, don't want someone to assume it's a good idea and copy to have a mishap.

Anyways, will find a favorite prop and make a new video... the plane sure is good for throwing around, there's no doubt about that. Love it. Have been really enjoying winding up a KE spin and then dropping the throttle to idle to have a super lazy but still very straight KE spin to the deck... so nice. violent maneuver into a graceful one.

Falcon was the prop in the video (they're such a light prop, I need to get me some more sizes of them for sure to play with)...

http://vimeo.com/39382446

yankphan is offline Find More Posts by yankphan
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:51 PM
President @ Acadian RC Club
Lafayette, Louisiana
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
Thats cool how you dubbed that gas sound over the Electric plane.... But Why???

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post

http://vimeo.com/39382446

jonathan7x70 is offline Find More Posts by jonathan7x70
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:54 PM
3D Wanna Be
Oahu, Hawaii
Joined Jul 2009
3,296 Posts
So he could fly for 20 minutes
sk8rob is offline Find More Posts by sk8rob
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:00 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7x70 View Post
Thats cool how you dubbed that gas sound over the Electric plane.... But Why???
No...what would be funny is if he flew for twenty minutes and dubbed the sound of an electric motor over the flight.....people would be wondering how in the heck that he flew that long!!!!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:36 PM
Team 3DHS
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,183 Posts
OS GT33 is the closest throttle response to E-power I've ever had.....easy to fly.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:42 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
19,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rob View Post
So he could fly for 20 minutes
...and also so I can show that there's no power sagging at the end of the flight, as well as back-to-back flights for all that I can eat
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:33 PM
The worlds largest!!!
United Kingdom, Suffk
Joined Sep 2007
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxjett View Post
I still can't believe that was your maiden trip to the field Scott with your Edge. Excellent flying. That thing does some crazy Lomchevaks.

Mark
Thanks for the kind words Mark! That plane is soo much fun to fly! You should get one!!!

So I'm kinda stuck with this plane. been doing so research and it seems that someone in here noticed that their E-box markings were reversed (top to bottom). The "U" and the "D"? Currently I have the "U" facing UP and the "D" facing DOWN (common sense right). However on the madien I noticed a significant yawing to the left throughout the flight. I'm thinking that if my E-Box was "backwards" that would account for that yawing (p-factor) as it would negate the built in right thrust. Has anyone else had a similar issue or is this just a normal mixing/trim issue? It's really not a big deal to flip the E-Box around, but before I do anything with the thrust angles I want a little confirmation that my logic is sound. Below is a rough video of the 2nd flight (had to add 1.5oz to the nose for balance after first flight). Nothing really going on here, but you can see the yawing on take-off. Any help, suggestions are welcomed! Thanks guys!

IMAC Scott (5 min 28 sec)
giantsnarf is offline Find More Posts by giantsnarf
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:16 PM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,147 Posts
I don't remember what markings were on my E-box but I'm sure I did not put it together reversed in any way, I followed whatever markings were there and I don't have any yaw issues.
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:16 AM
Watts is where its at!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2004
1,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsnarf View Post
Thanks for the kind words Mark! That plane is soo much fun to fly! You should get one!!!

So I'm kinda stuck with this plane. been doing so research and it seems that someone in here noticed that their E-box markings were reversed (top to bottom). The "U" and the "D"? Currently I have the "U" facing UP and the "D" facing DOWN (common sense right). However on the madien I noticed a significant yawing to the left throughout the flight. I'm thinking that if my E-Box was "backwards" that would account for that yawing (p-factor) as it would negate the built in right thrust. Has anyone else had a similar issue or is this just a normal mixing/trim issue? It's really not a big deal to flip the E-Box around, but before I do anything with the thrust angles I want a little confirmation that my logic is sound. Below is a rough video of the 2nd flight (had to add 1.5oz to the nose for balance after first flight). Nothing really going on here, but you can see the yawing on take-off. Any help, suggestions are welcomed! Thanks guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pclhIgnTWU
The box has offset for the right thrust angle and vertical offset built into the 'center' mark that you mounted the motor to. flipping the box means that the motor wont line up with the center of the cowel.

If you have yaw issues carefully inspect the rudder for warps. Mine had a significant bend that would cause yaw to the left. You can try and straighten it out by bending it and using a heat gun to re-shrink the covering. Alternately just trim the rudder do the airplane flies straight. I did a bit of both.
racerxky is offline Find More Posts by racerxky
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:40 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,452 Posts
any one know when the red Edge will be back in stock? id like to pick one up for my birthday but they have been out for a wile
Elios000 is online now Find More Posts by Elios000