HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2012, 03:08 PM
Wingman II
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2011
1,262 Posts
hacker motor

Ok so I have a 50-12L motor that I was going to put in my 74 edge. I have had the motor for a while. I have noticed that there is the smallest of play in the motor shaft. First, what does this mean? Second, what are your suggestions?
diggity2424 is online now Find More Posts by diggity2424
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2012, 03:54 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksextra View Post
why do I always miss out on the good deals?
I know the feeling...they happen either five minutes before I sing on, or five minutes after I sign off!! Oh well, C'est La Vie!!

Steve
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 01, 2012, 05:44 PM
United States, TX, Carrollton
Joined Dec 2009
259 Posts
Having a gap here is a bad thing right? Should I have counter sunk the holes for no gap instead of just glueing up to the joint on the hinges?
jhorton is offline Find More Posts by jhorton
Old Jan 01, 2012, 05:56 PM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
Unless your a perfectionist its not the end of the world. As long as the surfaces move freely you can always tape the hinge line. A roll of blenderm is always good to have. Either medical supply or dubro sells a roll marketed as electric hinge tape but it has 3m blenderm tape written on the inside of the roll.
lammbn is online now Find More Posts by lammbn
Old Jan 01, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Dec 2009
259 Posts
Ok found this post on Blenderm if anyone else is interested in finding some. Thank you for the quick reply sir.

Also on the CG measurements there were not that many replys on where the CG was on others planes. I'm at 6" with no gas in the plane. would really like to know where others are and if anyone has added weight to make the 5 1/4 that KM suggested.
Last edited by jhorton; Jan 01, 2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:40 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorton View Post
Having a gap here is a bad thing right? Should I have counter sunk the holes for no gap instead of just glueing up to the joint on the hinges?
wow looks like a lot but i suspect maybe less in person. my rudder is about a match book thickness, maybe a little more. Elevators a lot less, especially on the outsides. I used tape and such to hold it in place. Always seem to be a little flex there. I've never used the tape on mine. Maybe not to big of a deal at post stall speeds.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Dec 2009
259 Posts
it does look like a larger gap in the pictures, the gap is the size of the joint segment of the hinge (1/8 of an inch). I believe I should have counter sunk the joint segment by drilling a small amount out of the factory holes to counter sink the hinge and eliminate the gap.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 08:00 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Ok found this post on Blenderm if anyone else is interested in finding some. Thank you for the quick reply sir.

Also on the CG measurements there were not that many replys on where the CG was on others planes. I'm at 6" with no gas in the plane. would really like to know where others are and if anyone has added weight to make the 5 1/4 that KM suggested.
I got my rolls from RCFoam, they had it in stock, (all three sizes) and was ordering some carbon anyway. If you really need it NOW the LHS is always a good place to check, mine carries it same stuff, sold by Great Planes or Dubro can't remember which, of course the cost is about double.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:09 PM
Wingman II
Joined Sep 2011
1,262 Posts
Does anyone have a hacker a50-12L for sale? I am in the market.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:19 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jul 2008
700 Posts
I have a v1 im willing to part with not one of the recent v2s. PM me if interested.
ctunder77 is offline Find More Posts by ctunder77
Last edited by ctunder77; Jan 01, 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 10:32 AM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,865 Posts
Quote:
A phillips screw driver works best for me when enlarging the hole to counter sink the hinges. The closer the better. Just seal the gap and it will be fine. You could do covering and make it look really nice.

Cory
RC4x4 is offline Find More Posts by RC4x4
Old Jan 03, 2012, 02:15 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, OH, New Albany
Joined Jun 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
Jason Noll wrote an article in Model Aviation a couple years ago about hinging. I'll try to locate the article when I get home tonight. Basically, he uses a Dremel with 'A Christmas tree-shaped' bit to countersink the holes, and an old soldering iron to seal the covering around it.

I have used the technique several times with great results.
blaiss is offline Find More Posts by blaiss
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:27 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Just be sure when you are setting the gaps tight that you still have plenty of throw with out binding. Easy to get it to tight and then you are limited in getting full 3D throws.
55*+ on elevator.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:40 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
I really like the flight performance and quality of the 3DHS planes but thelack of a manual is an issue, actually a big issue.

I have several friends that have bought 3DHS planes after seeing mine fly, they are experienced flyers, have been building for years and do not play on the internet. andwith out exception they have all run into issues with the build.

3DHS supplies parts for both the electric version and a gass version, pull pull and push pull rudder mufflers and cans. they have made numerous revisions of each airframe, and they just keep improveing the build and quality.

Haveing said that they just do not all build the same, and if this is your first then it just does not maatter any way because you have not reference.

So listen up 3DHS -provide a manual ,even if it is on line, and take it step by step. change the manual if you change the airframe. For a quality company it should not be too much to ask. If you follow the thread's you will see that their are a ton of questions that are ask about a lot of little things in the build. give a CG and how to measure it. We should not have to read thousand of posts to find out how locate the slot for the rudder horn.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:47 PM
Wingman II
Joined Sep 2011
1,262 Posts
Agreed!!!