to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:14 AM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankphan View Post
Ok so im almost finished with my build.... I need to get a bec.... What size 2s lipo or 3s lipo is everyone using and where do you place it ? How many flights canbe expected ? Any pic setups would be very helpful... Or please email some setup pics at. Azzonaples@yahoo.com
Im set up for electric power.
Here's what I run in my 71 Slick and 72 Extra 330SC. I just plug it into the receiver. Have never had a problem with A123 batteries.

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...2&pid=C2126949

Or you could go with with this for around 4 flights without charging;

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...2&pid=C2126944
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Dec 28, 2011, 01:21 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,580 Posts
i'm using the 72 extra manual as a guide. Just noticed it doesn't cover anything related to the motor box installation. Can i use the 68 Velox manual? Velox manual says if using a short electric motor then install the motor box extension using M5 screws. I'm using a hacker a50-16L. So assuming i need to install the motor box extension? Also, what are M5 screws? Or should I just mount directly to the firewall and use extensions?
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Dec 28, 2011, 01:48 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
i'm using the 72 extra manual as a guide. Just noticed it doesn't cover anything related to the motor box installation. Can i use the 68 Velox manual? Velox manual says if using a short electric motor then install the motor box extension using M5 screws. I'm using a hacker a50-16L. So assuming i need to install the motor box extension? Also, what are M5 screws? Or should I just mount directly to the firewall and use extensions?
The 72" Extra never used a motor box extension, though with the second version of it, you had to use really long extensions and bolts (the first ones that came out were designed to use the side carb, DLE30, the second version used the rear carb DLE30). I would assume yes, you need to install the extension as the main motor box is designed to mount a gas engine directly... (make sure you pay attention to the markings on it to put on the correct way)...Without the motor box extension, I would imagine you will need really "long" extensions and bolts...and...

M5 screws= five millimeter diameter screws....also seen as 5MM..

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:16 AM
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Jan 2011
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzed View Post
Here's what I run in my 71 Slick and 72 Extra 330SC. I just plug it into the receiver. Have never had a problem with A123 batteries.

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...2&pid=C2126949

Or you could go with with this for around 4 flights without charging;

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...2&pid=C2126944

Please bere with me ! But do you need to install an extension wire with deans on rx or did you change out the plug on the 6.6v battery ? Maybe a phot of your setup please ? Azzonaples@yahoo.com Thanks for your help.
yankphan is offline Find More Posts by yankphan
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:23 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,168 Posts
Quote:
use the motor box extension.
See these pics, yours will be similar:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4429126
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4442509
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4447464

When mounting the motor box extension it appears that you have the choice of using blind nuts and the supplied bolts, or they also gave you regular nuts if you don't want to use the blind nuts. I did the blind nuts, and then used blue loctite on the bolts to secure them.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:40 AM
USA, MI, Livonia
Joined Nov 2004
812 Posts
okay, I have a question about BEC and radio batteries, why do some of you guys use both? the whole reason a BEC is used is to eliminate the the radio battery (a 2S or any battery that powers the Rx and servos)...

I flew my 68" Velox for an entire season (about 200 flights) with out a radio battery to power the servos/Rx and used a Castle Pro BEC. Power from the main flight pack (6S 5000mAh LiPo) powered the motor and the radio system. The BEC took care of getting the power needed to the servos and Rx

Am I missing something???????????

Cheers
Hosam
hosam is offline Find More Posts by hosam
Old Dec 28, 2011, 08:23 AM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,814 Posts
Quote:

You'll need to the extension box. Use the DLE30 template to mark the holes on the firewall for drilling and installing the extension box. Two ways to do it.
You can mount the blind nuts inside the fuselage motor box or the extension box. It's easier to put the blind nuts on the extension box and screw thew the box on from inside the fuselage. You need to remove wood from the triangle bracing if you install them inside the fuselage motor box. I did that, and can upload pic's later tonight. Put washers under the screws from which ever side you do. M5 is 5mm wide.

Cory
RC4x4 is offline Find More Posts by RC4x4
Old Dec 28, 2011, 08:28 AM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorton View Post
So i ran about 12 oz of gas through my DLE 30 today, closest I have come to flying my 74. The factory settings on the High and Low jets seem to work well. That said my HiTech 7955 servos are quite chatty and I did not expect so much noise from them. Can anyone tell me if this is a normal sound? attached a small clip with the noise in question. Also here is the first run of the DLE 30 with 1/8 turn on High Needle running 6300 RPM with the 20A prop

http://youtu.be/aKi9TtsM_zc http://youtu.be/9Gy502VYdck
I can't quite see with your engine vid, but make sure you are putting your wings on when you are running the engine. That way the vibrations won't be just confined to just the fuse, b/c the wings will dampen the vibes
joshet89 is offline Find More Posts by joshet89
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:22 AM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankphan View Post
Please bere with me ! But do you need to install an extension wire with deans on rx or did you change out the plug on the 6.6v battery ? Maybe a phot of your setup please ? Azzonaples@yahoo.com Thanks for your help.
I did a little soldering on mine. But if you buy these, there is no need to. Just plug the JST connector directly into the receiver.

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...F3954056&img=l
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:37 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Joined May 2010
2,580 Posts
Cory, Ryan,

Thanks for your help. I'll have to look through my kit again, but i don't recall seeing a DLE 30 template. Does the kit come with the hardware to mount the extension box?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:37 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Joined May 2010
2,580 Posts
does this seem about the correct amount of gap you expect to see on the rudder?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:43 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Joined May 2010
2,580 Posts
buzzed -what would you say it the ideal way to go about charging one of those cheetah packs? All my charging equipment is only setup for Deans and PowerPoles.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:13 PM
Gas Monkey Vic
Snohomish, WA
Joined Jan 2005
1,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosam View Post
okay, I have a question about BEC and radio batteries, why do some of you guys use both? the whole reason a BEC is used is to eliminate the the radio battery (a 2S or any battery that powers the Rx and servos)...

I flew my 68" Velox for an entire season (about 200 flights) with out a radio battery to power the servos/Rx and used a Castle Pro BEC. Power from the main flight pack (6S 5000mAh LiPo) powered the motor and the radio system. The BEC took care of getting the power needed to the servos and Rx

Am I missing something???????????

Cheers
Hosam
People have to do what makes them comfortable but I'm with you. On all my 30cc size planes I run a CC BEC Pro powered from the main flight pack with no issues or added weight of an extra battery. Even if the ESC has a total melt down you still have power to the BEC to safely land the plane. Here are some photos of my BEC tied into the Deans plug of my ESC.

Vitter
Vitter is offline Find More Posts by Vitter
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:46 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,166 Posts
Quote:
does this seem about the correct amount of gap you expect to see on the rudder?
looks fine to me
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM