HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2003, 06:33 PM
Under tension
Johnstown, Colorado
Joined May 2002
880 Posts
The funniest landing ever.

I don't know about "ever" but this one was too good not to share. I took the switchback out last night but not before removing the Razor 400 brushless and replacing it with the stock 300C. I grabbed two of what I thought were fully charged battery pack, headed out to the middle school and took off. The plane seemed sluggish but I ignored it figuring I was no longer used to the old brushed motor in this plane. Did some loops, they were terrible. I was discouraged, so I tried a roll. Big mistake... As it began to roll I quickly lost half my altitude. I centered the controls to aviod a crash. Now the plane was stuck flying upside down! Oops. To make matter worse I was 30 feet off the ground, the elevator was as far down as it would go, and the plane was losing altitude! Rolling it meant certain death. My only choice was land it upside down. It was sort of a helpless feeling. The plane was losing altitude. All I could do was aim the inverted plane for a grassy field and go for it. Well, It was one of the prettiest upside-down landing you could ever imagine. Flaired perfecty. The canopy skidded on the grass like a landing skid. I ended up with an upside down Switchback and nice little 3 foot line in the grass where the tail dragged it to a stop .

I laughed my butt off. Where's a video camera when you need one! The cause was a battery pack that was more dead that it was charged. The moral here is check the charge on your batteries!

Scott
citabria is offline Find More Posts by citabria
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2003, 06:35 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Re: The funniest landing ever.

Quote:
Originally posted by citabria
...but not before removing the Razor 400 brushless and replacing it with a stock stock 300C...
Oh, the horror! Why would you ever do such a thing?

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Sep 22, 2003, 06:50 PM
Under tension
Johnstown, Colorado
Joined May 2002
880 Posts
Martin, to put in in my CAP 232, of course. When you have only one brushless (hard for many to imagin) everyone has to share .

Scott
Old Sep 22, 2003, 06:55 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
*whew* I was worried that they had put funny things into the water in Loveland I do the same thing, actually. Congrats on a smooth landing, albeit inverted

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Sep 22, 2003, 07:14 PM
wild in the park?
McDonough, GA
Joined Mar 2003
1,614 Posts
Good save Scott, glad there was no carnage.
It's always good when you can laugh after the fact.

Hey Martin?
Shades of Marty Feldman!
I like your modified Flying Circus avatar.
It's good to know that I'm not the only one that still remembers such a great show.

Would this be considered an "innocent thread killer' ???

Bil
wherndon is offline Find More Posts by wherndon
Old Sep 22, 2003, 08:56 PM
Balsa addict
Charlotte, Nc
Joined Dec 2002
726 Posts
I would recatagorize this as "Best Save" You know, All of a sudden, the plane is going the opposite direction you thought it was going, right into the ground, when at the last second, you actually stir the sticks in the right direction for a "Save". Have you ever heard someone at the feild say "Nice Save"?

Here's three of my best saves:
3:Spirit 2m sailplane launches the battery, nose weight and canopy on histart lauch. Battery is hanging on by the connector! I now have a tail heavy glider that I have to get down with out jerking the battery loose. I got it down in one peice without a scratch. I wouldn't have been so lucky if the battery had come loose.

2: FourStar10 takes off beautifully when in the first turn I notice the ailerons are reversed! ahhh. I got it up to altitude flying backwards, and then reprogrammed my radio to reverse the right channel to get it flying properly with an uneventful landing.

1: Hangover takes off with ailerons reversed! Darn those computer radios! Unfourtunatly, my newer Hitec is much harder to reverse channels, so I landed it backwards to a spattering of applause.

I keep telling them I'm just good at making it look hard.

What kind of near misses have you guys managed to get away with?
-CRCM
ClosetRCModeler is offline Find More Posts by ClosetRCModeler
Old Sep 22, 2003, 09:03 PM
Peachtree City, GA
Joined Aug 2000
845 Posts
I don't know if it counts as a near miss, but I rolled the Minflash and you guessed it. I launched the batter when it was inverted. Well it just kept flying in a gentle circle. I chased it, but I couldn't catch it. Probabably a good thing, it landed inverted in the grass with no damage. I really looked dumb chasing that thing.

Bobby
blfinche is offline Find More Posts by blfinche
Old Sep 22, 2003, 09:22 PM
United States, IL, De Land
Joined Jul 2003
642 Posts
Years ago I was flying I think it was my Sig Kadet. I must have had a hole in my fuel line, cause I had her full bore going down the runway until I reached the end of the run way where it drops out of site! Remember when Mr Bond stole the Plitus Porter from the Russian's and the last thing you see is the plane falling into the rocks? Well remember the next frame where you see the top of a hill then a Porter screaming like heck almost vertical? Well that was my Kadet! I did something close to it 3 years before Golden Eye came out We all got a laugh out of that one, plane disapears, then reapears, engine screaming, climbing at a high angle. The rest of the flight was uneventful, but of coarse Q!
RAFguy is offline Find More Posts by RAFguy
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:29 PM
Under tension
Johnstown, Colorado
Joined May 2002
880 Posts
It certainly was a save, but darned funny too. Seeing that thing upside down 20 feet above my head flying just a hair above stall speed and losing altitude fast. It was a thing of beauty . Saves are a great subject. My other saves include:

1) Motor ejecting from the front of the switchback's nose. Landed extremely nose-heavy with the prop hanging 4" from the noes.

2) Taking off from an abandon street, stuck or bent gear on Cessna 180 causes 90+ degree left turn on takeoff. End up on the "short runway". Miss the curb by 1" (one of the nice big concrete ones) and brush the top of some tall weeds beyond that. Made it up in the air, barely.

I'm sure there will be many more.

Scott