HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2011, 07:53 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Sep 2011
162 Posts
Question
Blade CX2-Play in inner shaft

Hello all. I need some help. I recently purchased the boomtownhobbies outdoor conversion kit for my CX2. I put the shafts back together and before continuing, I check to make sure I didn't have any play when pulling on the upper rotor head assemble connected to my extended inner shaft. Unfortunately I do have some up and down play and I can not for the life of me figure out where I went wrong. Any input would be greatly appreciated
lawguy14 is offline Find More Posts by lawguy14
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2011, 08:28 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy14 View Post
Hello all. I need some help. I recently purchased the boomtownhobbies outdoor conversion kit for my CX2. I put the shafts back together and before continuing, I check to make sure I didn't have any play when pulling on the upper rotor head assemble connected to my extended inner shaft. Unfortunately I do have some up and down play and I can not for the life of me figure out where I went wrong. Any input would be greatly appreciated
Here is a break down of your model. Hope you didn't forget that brass washer. I've done it a couple times..
http://www.dacaur.com/heli/bcxhelp/BladeCXAssembly.pdf

PDF file. this will help you

There is a CX2 thread BTW...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...07057&page=422

Mike.

BTW, welcome
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:21 PM
Joined Sep 2011
162 Posts
Thanks Chap. I did remember the brass fitting. I will check out your info and let ya know how it goes. I can't wait to get this thing up and flying
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:34 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Is the lower gear pushed up tight to the upper gear? I place the helicopter upside down so it rests on the upper rotor head, then push the gear on and tighten it down. This way there is no play when it's installed. The inner shaft may have moved up some when you pushed the gear on leaving a little play.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:48 PM
Joined Sep 2011
162 Posts
I will give that a shot too. I thought I had pushed them together, but I may not have done that good of a job. I was reading another forum on here about a spacer or bearing between the upper and lower gear, but I don't have one. Is there supposed to be a spacer/bearing between the gears. If there is I guess I misplaced it somewhere. The exploded parts view in the manual is less than helpful on that area
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:51 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,683 Posts
Quote:
I will give that a shot too. I thought I had pushed them together, but I may not have done that good of a job. I was reading another forum on here about a spacer or bearing between the upper and lower gear, but I don't have one. Is there supposed to be a spacer/bearing between the gears. If there is I guess I misplaced it somewhere. The exploded parts view in the manual is less than helpful on that area
Maybe they are talking about that brass washer I mentioned but, I don't see anything here...
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=123920

Scroll down a bit for a blow up..

Mike.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 02:34 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,511 Posts
There is no spacer between the gears. What they may be talking about is the bearing that sits in the bottom of the upper gear. The lower gear fits up against the upper gear and rides on the race of that bearing. Lawguy, just set the helicopter upside down on the upper rotor head, loosen up the set screws in the lower gear, and push the lower gear against the upper gear and tighten the set screws of the lower gear. (your good to go!)
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
6 Posts
Also make sure you have the gears right-side up. I first installed the bottom gear upside down. Just a thought.
JackGist is offline Find More Posts by JackGist
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:45 PM
Joined Sep 2011
162 Posts
Evening everyone. Thanks for all your input. That helifreak page is very useful. So I got most of it working. I still have one issue. The fixed issues with the play were the set screw in the upper rotor head was loose. I also determined my lower gear was screwed up where the screws go through holding the collar to it. I purchased a new lower gear and that took all the play out of it.

I put it all back together and spooled it up. The upper rotors spin very smoothly. My lower rotors have a terrible wobble in them. Not sure what the issue is. I also just put a new outer shaft in so I know its not bent. Any more ideas. You guys have been great so far so I know surely you can pull through for me again
Old Oct 31, 2011, 07:54 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,683 Posts
Make sure your blades are balanced. IMHO ...very important! Click on my user name and that will take you to my blog on blade balancing. It doesn't take long to check them and well worth the effort. My blades track and fly perfectly

Mike.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:05 PM
Joined Sep 2011
162 Posts
Well Chap, I think I got it, however I won't be able to confirm this until tomorrow morning when the LHS is open. I knew I should have picked up a pair of blades tonight when I was there. I have 4 sets up upper, but no lower. I really had no clue how a pair of new lower blades with the same numbers on it could be so out of balance. My uppers balanced perfectly. Not so much with the lowers. I placed them between two cups. I set the blades horizontally, when I let go, they were so unbalanced that they were vertical. Yes, thats right, completely vertical. Think that could be causing the violent wobble and shake I was getting
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:09 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,683 Posts
Yes, quite possibly. You would be surprised! Just follow my instructions to balance them. Very easy! BTW, I always check every set of blades before they even go on my heli.

Mike.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:34 PM
Joined Sep 2011
162 Posts
Well a trip to the hobby shop in the morning and hopefully I will be good to go. I bought the outdoor conversion kit for this heli and have been eargerly waiting to give it a go. Maybe that will happen tomorrow
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:41 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,683 Posts
You don't need new blades. You just need to balance the ones you have.. Follow my instructions. You just need some sandpaper.

Mike.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:23 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,944 Posts
If I read what is and isn't in the Boomtown "Outdoor" kits, they do NOT include pivoting blade holders. Lawguy, when you talk about going to the LHS to get blades, are you refering to stock blades or pivoting blades? If you're talking about stock blades, the pivoting blade holders should have been your very first mod. You'll go broke trying to learn to fly this heli with blades that don't fold in a "mishap". I guess they assume you already did that mod.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack