SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:39 PM
TEXAS
Joined Oct 2010
874 Posts
Discussion
2w20 fan motor ESC combo

I purchased a 2w20 combo from you guys a couple months ago and i am just getting around to putting it together. Something isn't right. The rotor rubs the housing very bad and i haven't even put power to it yet.. I have moved the motor around every which way but loose and the rotor still rubs the housing.
I don't know whats wrong here but it appears something is out of round or off center.
The clearance between the rotor and the housing is WAY to tight for something made out of plastic. WAY to tight. Clearance like that is for something that comes out of a cnc machine, not a plastic mold. None of my other fans have such a ridiculously tight clearance. For this thing to work everything has to be perfect and clearly something is not.
I purchased this combo because everybody raves about the power it makes and the sound it makes but i can assure you that as bad as this rotor rubs the housing it certainly isn't going to sound good and my guess is it wont make it thru 1 battery cycle before the rotor comes apart. The rotor comes balanced already and i do not have anything i can balance it on so removing material is not a option. As much as this combo cost, i am disappointed that i have now spent about 3 hours of my time simply trying to get the rotor to not rub the housing while assembling it. No way will i attempt to use this in one of my planes. Disaster waiting to happen. What can we do here ? Thank you....
Yort69 is offline Find More Posts by Yort69
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2011, 04:19 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,301 Posts
Yort,
Sorry to hear about your troubles!
Can you post some pics? Maybe we can catch something you might have missed.

This particular combo has been out for many years now, and there are thousands upon thousands of these units out there with happy customers across the globe
That being said, I am a firm believer that no one Manufacturer is perfect. Also, Robert Wagoner has earned EJF a strong reputation for excellent product and customer support.

Please send Robert an email directly: Sales@EJF.com
This is the fastest way to resolve product inquiries.

Regards,
Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Nov 02, 2011, 06:40 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,301 Posts
Everybody knows ^^^this guy^^^ is Curtis... a very grimy character that has been kicked out of several public forums and even failed miserably to create his own.
He occassionally tries to stir the pot but just ends up making an idiot of himself!

Yort, please disregard heatstrokes' comment.
The quality of our Customer Support will be yours to determine.

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Nov 02, 2011, 08:50 PM
TEXAS
Joined Oct 2010
874 Posts
Hi Fellas

Robert is taking care of it and has a new fan on the way for me.
I'm hoping this was just a bad run or something but i checked all possible causes. What i found was the center part of the shroud where the motor mounts up was twisted some causing the motor and fan to sit inside the shroud at a angle. It wasn't rubbing just a little either, it was bad. I took the rear cooling ring off and centered the motor and tightened it up and it was so out of line the rear of the motor pushed against the shroud hard enough that it actually pushed the plastic out some so even with the ring in the rear it was still not enough to straiten it out and keep the fan from rubbing the shroud. I checked for burrs down in there that would maybe be causing it etc but could not see anything out of the ordinary.
I think it is just a bad shroud. Robert said they are all the same but i feel if they were all like this he would have more complaints about it. He said i could open the holes in the shroud up some and align it but i feel as much as these cost i shouldn't have to go butchering things up to get it to work properly and i'm sure most are not like this one is.
I am convinced its just a bad one. We will see, i will post and let you guys know how it goes. I know they have to be good units from what i have read .
Thanks for the help you offered, hopefully this one will be a little straighter. I normally don't complain unless there is somethin to complain about and in this case there was...Thanks again...
Old Nov 03, 2011, 07:44 PM
TEXAS
Joined Oct 2010
874 Posts
WOW, First Class Customer Service from EJF !

Wasn't expecting to get my new shroud for a week or so and got home today after work and there it was at my door 2 days after he said he would send it !
Took the motor out of the problem shroud and mounted it in the new one and even used the same fan that came with the combo and without even trying to line it up it was dead centered! Definitely something' wrong with the shroud i got with the combo. Thanks a bunch Robert at EJF! First Class customer service! Will have no problem giving him my business in the future!