Gloves are awkward
Preston, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,184 Posts
Discussion
PA Addiction, night flyer part 2

Hello, Last winter i made my first night flyer -

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=853

I was never happy that the tail was not lit up and have been thinking how to solve the problem without external lighting. Thanks to bsbauman who has been slowly fitting out his X, i thought i could do something like that and here i am now.

First problem was the tail was not wide enough to accept the 8mm wide LED's. I ordered 8 x Balsa Strip 36in x3/32x1/4 thinking i would have loads to spare to beef up the tail but only ended up with 6 inches left

Next thing was whether to go with solite as per the rest of the plane or solarfilm? My LHS made my mind up for me when they had no solite in so its now got a solarfilm tail. This was the first time i got to try my new proper iron (ive been using a clothes iron till now) and wow, what a difference, it was loads easier. Also this was a good thing as solite on a plane this big requires very careful handling, the rest of the plane will be covered sometime.

Lastly im really glad my scales are broke as i hate to think what weight ive added but i think its worth it, it was awesome before, will be mega now! Also when i took the covering off i was quite surprised how beat up the surfaces are - loads of cracks etc, the tail is rock solid now.

P.S also took the time to re-hinge the ailerons with proper hinges. I tried the PA tape method when i rebuilt last time but could not get it right. All surfaces taped to!
ipjodan is offline Find More Posts by ipjodan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2011, 05:52 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,092 Posts
My addy has always been tail heavy without lights. Did you struggle to get it right in this version?
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Oct 30, 2011, 08:49 AM
It's All About Having Fun!
Joined Jul 2008
336 Posts
awesome
The Hitman is offline Find More Posts by The Hitman
Old Oct 30, 2011, 02:22 PM
Gloves are awkward
Preston, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
My addy has always been tail heavy without lights. Did you struggle to get it right in this version?
Since i did the first lights ive been using a 2200 3cell, now with this addition and the battery pushed as far forward as i dare the CG is about 15mm behind where i want it. Im going to build a little deans to deans lead to go inbetween the ESC and battery with a mini deans coming off it for the lights (using the balance plug up to now for the lights) and then see where im at. Think i will make it up with a bigger battery i hate adding dead weight.

Thinking of flying it as it is though for now, i think i can handle the rear CG. I love hovering this plane in the dark.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:57 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,516 Posts
Fantastic job... makes me wish I put more lights in my rudder Did you also add more lights to the cowl as well? Great job

I just finished my light installation tonight and hope it shines through the covering as well as yours. Ill have some more pics up tomorrow night before I start covering.

As mine comes together, I have two questionable areas left that I have not addressed; hopefully you might "shed some light" on the situation

1st issue was the undercarriage. As you have flown your Ad at night and I have not, I was curious how well the underside of your plane lights up the ground when you are coming in for landing. I was wondering if I want to add additional landing lights on the landing gear... at this point, I am kinda tired of futzin with it and dont want to do much more.

2nd issue was the canopy and hatch. Clear canopy is great, but I am thinking I might make a few lightening holes in the forward sheeted section to allow for light to shine onto the covering. Can you think of any other way I might light up that section of the top part of the fuse?
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:30 AM
Gloves are awkward
Preston, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,184 Posts
Thanks bsb the inspiration came all from you!

Quote:
Did you also add more lights to the cowl as well?
Yeah threw a few in there, it all helps with the CG!

Quote:
I was curious how well the underside of your plane lights up the ground when you are coming in for landing. I was wondering if I want to add additional landing lights on the landing gear
Mine has white lights on the bottom, i love doing slow passes (10 ft) and lighting up the ground. In fact since you named yours ive been trying to think of a name for mine!

Remember the C47's with the massive machine guns! did they have some big lights on to called "day breakers" or "dawn Breakers"?

Also did the helicopter in blue thunder have a big spot light on with a name to?

Also the addition is so tame to land anyway i would not even think about adding anything extra - not needed.

Quote:
Clear canopy is great, but I am thinking I might make a few lightening holes in the forward sheeted section to allow for light to shine onto the covering. Can you think of any other way I might light up that section of the top part of the fuse?
Thats what im looking at now, think that will be part 3! It never bugged me before, it was just the tail. In fact i need a new canopy so might use this as an experiment - i like the lightning hole idea. I might even make the lighting system totally seperate in the hatch with its own little battery - It could help with the CG thing.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 07:32 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipjodan View Post

I might even make the lighting system totally seperate in the hatch with its own little battery - It could help with the CG thing.
Thats brilliant, I did not even think of that and will keep it in mind when I get to measuring the CG
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks