HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Xpress.., who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:35 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Discussion
Poor Jeep

I know this has very little to do with radio control airplanes whatsoever (it is however my only mode of transportation to and from the local slope, which requires a 4x4), but it's my blog so I figured i'll post it anyways.

Was driving to the local slope to get more stick time in on my recently acquired HalfPipe (not mine, but I might as well fly it anyways) when I heard some bad vibrations and noticed smoke coming from my rear left wheel. Was going to pullover as soon as I could to turn around and reluctantly head back home (about 2 miles).

Next thing i know I'm hearing a bad vibration from my rear axle. The next moment I heard a loud SNAP as I see my wheel and axle shaft rolling past me, and then it dawned on me that I was in deep crap when I felt my rear axle hit the ground. Since the wheel was off and it took the brake drum with it, my brakes lost most of their stopping power because the rear cylinder was extending out all the way. FORTUNATELY there was enough stopping power to skid to a stop on the one small stretch of dirt in the road for a couple of miles. Even more fortunate is that it parked itself in a location that most could easily see, but with the speed limit being 55, and everyone not giving a care in the world, it hardly mattered as the not so intelligent residents flew on past me. Even with a police officer there directing traffic, people were still hauling quickly.

Anyways, I plan on doing an axle swap. Jeep for some reason decided to include a light duty rear axle with YJ and TJ Wrangler models (except for rubicons) and my axles time just happened to come yesterday. Going to swap in a Ford 8.8 axle out of an Explorer, hopefully one with disk brakes for more stopping power when offroading. Have yet to find my axle shaft and wheel (it was a decent wheel too, would make a good spare even though it's very close to being bald).
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:36 PM
Joined Aug 2011
38 Posts
glad your ok saw somthing like this going home some guy lost his wheel , saw it bounce away lol was kind of funny . not a everything thing i guess
buggingout67 is offline Find More Posts by buggingout67
Old Nov 04, 2011, 03:01 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
757 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok. Reminds me of an incident with my first Jeep, an 81 CJ7. I was driving down the road and the front wheel came off and shot ahead of me, it hit the kerb, then bounced quite high. It ended up hitting a telephone pole and came straight back at me and bounced off the left fender and over the hood landing in the lane beside me where a large bus had to come to a stop with the wheel just settling down.

I jacked up the Jeep, grabbed a lug nut from each of the other wheels and drove it home. Took a while for my nerves to settle down though.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei