HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2011, 06:47 PM
Joined Oct 2011
5 Posts
Help!
Skyartec Cessna 182 Motor Problem

Hi,

I recently bought a Skyartec Cessna 182 (the brushless 7 channel version), since it's long been my dream to have a RC aeroplane, but I haven't had much luck with it yet (i.e. it has yet to leave terra firma!).

This morning I attempted a flight, taking off from an artificial cricket pitch (for those unfortunate enough not to be familiar with the wonderful game of cricket, this is a astroturf surface about 22 yards, or 20 metres long) which I would have thought would have been ample length to get airborne but the aircraft never left the ground. I noticed that the motor seemed a bit sluggish so I took it home.

Testing it at home all the motor would do is twitch when throttle was applied and now it doesn't move it all! I've checked as many connections as I can, my battery is fully charged and there are fresh batteries in the radio. All the control surfaces seem to be working fine. Ominously I've noticed the normally deafening rendition of "Oh Sussanah" when the battery is plugged in is a LOT quieter.

Any ideas what might be wrong? Have I somehow fried my speed controller or motor (and is there any way to test this?). Also: how does one get the prop off? This would enable me to check the motor itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
paddles78 is offline Find More Posts by paddles78
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:11 AM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddles78 View Post
Hi,

I recently bought a Skyartec Cessna 182 (the brushless 7 channel version), since it's long been my dream to have a RC aeroplane, but I haven't had much luck with it yet (i.e. it has yet to leave terra firma!).

This morning I attempted a flight, taking off from an artificial cricket pitch (for those unfortunate enough not to be familiar with the wonderful game of cricket, this is a astroturf surface about 22 yards, or 20 metres long) which I would have thought would have been ample length to get airborne but the aircraft never left the ground. I noticed that the motor seemed a bit sluggish so I took it home.

Testing it at home all the motor would do is twitch when throttle was applied and now it doesn't move it all! I've checked as many connections as I can, my battery is fully charged and there are fresh batteries in the radio. All the control surfaces seem to be working fine. Ominously I've noticed the normally deafening rendition of "Oh Sussanah" when the battery is plugged in is a LOT quieter.

Any ideas what might be wrong? Have I somehow fried my speed controller or motor (and is there any way to test this?). Also: how does one get the prop off? This would enable me to check the motor itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
First remember to turn on transmitter first, then connect airplane battery. You need to do this in that order for safety. Always remove airplane battery first THEN turn off the transmitter when you are finished.
OK
First try to reset the ESC. Turn on the Transmitter; put throttle all the way up or on high setting. Plug in the airplane battery. Wait for a couple of beeps. Put the Transmitter throttle to lowest position (including the trim). Wait for the tune or song to finish. Unplug airplane battery; plug airplane battery back in; wait for tune to finish and see if you have throttle. Again, make sure both silver top switches are in the up or normal position.

Now if this does not resolve your issue, yes you may have a bad ESC or more likely a bad motor.
You will have to contact your dealer for repair or replacement. Your post does not say what country you are in; We are the USA Distributor for the product. Contact us OFFLINE if we can help. You can contact here:
max@parkrcmodels.com as we do NOT use the private message system here to communicate with buyers.

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
Parkflying is online now Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:59 PM
Joined Oct 2011
5 Posts
Thanks for your suggestion, Max. I tried to reset the ESC but without success so I'm thinking I've either got a stuffed motor or an ESC (it's possible a drop or two of water got in there, I guess). Is there any way of telling which? I'd like to find out, since I'm in New Zealand and there are no dealers here so I'd have to order parts from overseas and this won't be cheap. Any suggestions as to how to get the prop off? Then I might be in a better position to check stuff.
paddles78 is offline Find More Posts by paddles78
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:43 AM
Australia, TAS
Joined Oct 2011
5 Posts
To remove the prop you first need to remove 2 small screws on the nose, then there is a nut that sits inside the prop which you loosen by turning the prop (may or may not have to hold the section behind the prop while your trying to turn).
If you haven't already figured it out by now, that is...

As for replacing the parts, I know some Australian dealers that ought to have a lot cheaper postage then where ever you've been buying from.
I don't think I can link it here without it being advertising to send me a PM if you'd like it.

I can't be much more help because I'm just as new to the RC plane world as you are and also bought the Skyartec Cessna as my first.
Howling Jackal is offline Find More Posts by Howling Jackal