HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2011, 05:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8 Posts
Discussion
Just tell me what to buy (tr

I've been reading but this is really overwhelming! I want to get into the hobby and want to start with a Simulator then get a trainer plane and then better planes. I like the idea of getting one transmitter that I can use with the sim, my starter plane and then an intermediate plane. I never plan on being an expert, rather I want to have fun and get my 10 year old into it too. I think I've decided on Phoenix for the sim. I plan to learn on the sim and then buy an easy star type plane or a HZ Champ or other beginner plane before getting into other planes. Phoenix can be bought with software only for $130 or with a Dx5e for $175. So my question is should I get the version with Dx5e or am I going to want to replace it with something better? If so, I'd rather get the better transmitter now and buy the $130 sim version.

Which transmitter should I get that will work with Phoenix and my ready to fly starter plane and whatever RTF plane I graduate to from there? Budget? I'm fine with teh $130 sim and another hundred or so for the transmitter (all before plane costs) but I don't want to under or over buy.

Thanks for any replies, truly appreciated!
wahoo67 is offline Find More Posts by wahoo67
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2011, 06:03 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo67 View Post
I want to have fun and get my 10 year old into it too.
Buy two Champs, a handful of spare batteries and hit the field with your son one evening in dead calm winds.

You'll have more fun than you can imagine. My sons (10 and 12) were doing touch and goes after a few batteries worth of flying.

You can skip the sim and the DX5e and grab a DX61 when the hook is firmly set. I'm not some technophobic old timer, but the sim stuff is overrated unless you're trying to learn 3D or collective pitch where you'll destroy stuff trying.

A Champ will stay in the air for you and teach you everything you need.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Last edited by ausf; Oct 29, 2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 06:07 PM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
Quote:
I've been reading but this is really overwhelming! I want to get into the hobby and want to start with a Simulator then get a trainer plane and then better planes. I like the idea of getting one transmitter that I can use with the sim, my starter plane and then an intermediate plane. I never plan on being an expert, rather I want to have fun and get my 10 year old into it too. I think I've decided on Phoenix for the sim. I plan to learn on the sim and then buy an easy star type plane or a HZ Champ or other beginner plane before getting into other planes. Phoenix can be bought with software only for $130 or with a Dx5e for $175. So my question is should I get the version with Dx5e or am I going to want to replace it with something better? If so, I'd rather get the better transmitter now and buy the $130 sim version.

Which transmitter should I get that will work with Phoenix and my ready to fly starter plane and whatever RTF plane I graduate to from there? Budget? I'm fine with teh $130 sim and another hundred or so for the transmitter (all before plane costs) but I don't want to under or over buy.

there are sims out there that come with the DX6 i would get that one. as for beginer plane i would go with the RTF HZ Champ it comes with a 4 channel TX that you can buddy box to your DX6 for when your 10 year old flies with you. I learned how to fly with the Champ and i love the plane, i just stepped up to the Nitro Planes 55" sky trainer (cessna 182) i am still scared to fly it . i have also heard allot of good stuff about the HZ super cub! good luck and have fun!
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Old Oct 29, 2011, 06:13 PM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
HZ Champ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HobbyZone-Ch...ht_2832wt_1029

this is the store i got my champ from best deal i think because you get 3 batteries as well as the TX and charger
Old Oct 29, 2011, 06:20 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,171 Posts
Hold it! You can buddy box the stock Champ transmitter? I thought it was the same transmitter that comes with the Vapor!

Although they're fine if you keep the Champ within decent range, lots of people are flying their Champs out of range of the stock transmitter. I don't know why! Seems to me a couple hundred feet is enough distance away for such a little plane and the range of the stock tx should be fine, just as it is with my Vapor. But possibly not!

Your range with a DX6i will be much longer than with the stock transmitter.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 29, 2011, 06:33 PM
United Kingdom, England, Poole
Joined Nov 2010
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Hold it! You can buddy box the stock Champ transmitter? I thought it was the same transmitter that comes with the Vapor!
Speaking as a Champ owner, I'm afraid it is - and you can't. The transmitter has no connectors of any kind, so it can't be used with a simulator or a buddy box. Having said that, I haven't had any range problems with mine, perhaps because I use good quality rechargeable AA batteries and keep them well charged.
SoaringOstrich is offline Find More Posts by SoaringOstrich
Old Oct 29, 2011, 06:53 PM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringOstrich View Post
Speaking as a Champ owner, I'm afraid it is - and you can't. The transmitter has no connectors of any kind, so it can't be used with a simulator or a buddy box. Having said that, I haven't had any range problems with mine, perhaps because I use good quality rechargeable AA batteries and keep them well charged.

my coach linked our TX together for my first 3 flights no wires i do not know how he did but he definitely was able to take control when i got into trouble like he binded his TX to the HZ TX he said he was able to do it because the HZ TX has dsm2 spectrum technology . i also have had no problems with range i can fly until its hard to see then i turn and come back
Last edited by stoopidmonkey; Oct 29, 2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: add information
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:26 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Oct 2011
168 Posts
only problem with this setup is that the champ comes with a 150mah battery stock. those 120mah batteries wont last long at all. best deal for batteries is here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Turnigy-Na...item4cf84e9c6f

they last about 1 minute more with those batteries then the stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopidmonkey View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HobbyZone-Ch...ht_2832wt_1029

this is the store i got my champ from best deal i think because you get 3 batteries as well as the TX and charger
some87 is offline Find More Posts by some87
Old Oct 30, 2011, 07:32 AM
RC Addict
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,259 Posts
If it helps at all with your decision, and if you're in the continental US, I have an unopened copy of Phoenix 3.0 (without transmitter) that I won at a fly-in, that I will sell you for $100 + $5 to cover shipping and Paypal fees.

I would also agree with the others about getting at least a DX6i if you plan on being in this hobby for a while.
anatoly is offline Find More Posts by anatoly
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:12 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! I think I will get the HZ Champ but also want the sim just because it will give me (and my son) more practice/tinker time on the harder planes. I think I will end up getting the DX6i but not right away. Any chance I can use the Champ's radio with the sim? In other words does the cheapo radio have an outlet that I can buy a cable for to connect to the computer?
wahoo67 is offline Find More Posts by wahoo67
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:41 AM
RC Addict
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,259 Posts
AFAIK, the toy-looking radio that comes with the micro RTF's doesn't have a port. I believe you need at least a DX4e to work with the sim, which is fine because you can also use it as a buddy box when you get a computer transmitter later.
anatoly is offline Find More Posts by anatoly
Old Oct 30, 2011, 07:08 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Oct 2011
168 Posts
you have got to find out how to buddy box that radio because i would love to learn how to do that so i can teach my nephew how to fly my champ w/o getting a new spektrum radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopidmonkey View Post
my coach linked our TX together for my first 3 flights no wires i do not know how he did but he definitely was able to take control when i got into trouble like he binded his TX to the HZ TX he said he was able to do it because the HZ TX has dsm2 spectrum technology . i also have had no problems with range i can fly until its hard to see then i turn and come back
some87 is offline Find More Posts by some87
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:32 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,171 Posts
Now you'll find the toy transmitter that comes with the plane is surprisingly good with dual rate and decent range IF you watch the battery levels. As others have said, it will get you out there 300' and that's getting uncomfortably far away to fly a micro. Watch the batteries and you'll be fine.

HOWEVER, if you just put a DX5e in the picture, much less the DX6i you SHOULD be considering, suddenly you're in a whole different world as the response is so much smoother and the sticks have more travel. You can fly twice as good with the big radio as you can with the stock radio, or at least it sure feels like it. The experience just feels more quality. And it is.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:44 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,581 Posts
The transmitter with the Champ is a decent unit, and the range it works with is well within the sight range of the Champ. For $90 you get the plane, TX and battery, cannot go wrong for that.
Loads of fun and easy to learn with.
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:27 AM
Joined Aug 2011
163 Posts
Quote:

I'm going to have to go in the opposite direction of what everyone else is saying here. Skip the champ for now, get a sim.

Go with the simulator. Phoenix is a great simulator. I haven't been flying long, but its helped me immensely. I've gotten about 5 other people flying with me, and we have an ad-hoc club going... pretty much all of them feel as if the Phoenix sim completely prepared them to go out and fly.

The problem I have with the champ is that it will only teach you flight with 3 channels. Unfortunately, IMO, 3 channel (rudder only) flight isn't really that fun. Ailerons is where its at, and its probably what most people have trouble with - it adds another axis of rotation.

3 channel flight is also pretty easy. Want to go left? Rudder left? Want to go right? Rudder right. With 4 channel flight, it gets much much harder. You roll left, now rudder and elevator turn you in completely different directions (depending on how far you rolled). THIS is what you need to get used to.

I guess my point is... what happens after you want to move up from a champ? Are you going to take a 4 channel plane up and keep crashing it? This will happen a lot more than with a 3 channel plane. You can put 100 hours in with a 3 channel, and its still not going to prepare you for ailerons at all. It doesn't make much sense to me. I think people over prepare on 3 channels. I'd do the learning you'd do with the champ on the sim, then buy a decent sized plane (3ch or 4ch, depending on your progress).

I also don't like the size of the champ. It looks far too easy to get blown around. Take your local weather into account, as I have very few days by me of "dead calm" - most are a light 5 mph winds or more. I'm not saying its a bad plane, and it might have its place for those who can't use a sim... but I think considering its price, a simulator would have far more value if its one or the other.

The good thing about jumping into a sim first, you'll have a good idea of how fast or slow you'll need to go. You'll have a much better idea of what to expect..
AgentSmith27 is offline Find More Posts by AgentSmith27