SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2003, 02:14 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Olathe, KS (next to the Castle)
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
Wing bottom repairs. You can see where the CA backed out of the the needle holes and smeared. A little 600 grit wet and dry will clean this up but I might not bother. The square hole is where I cut into the wing to check the spar. It is OK. I will fill this part of the wing with 2 part foam and reattach the cut out.
Bernie Wolfard is offline Find More Posts by Bernie Wolfard
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2003, 02:17 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
Fuselage repair. Two layers of Kevlar, System Three epoxy covered with shrink tube to supply pressure, squeeze extra epoxy out and give a smooth finish. A little light filler, 400-grit wet/dry sandpaper wet and white paint and this will be almost invisible with little effort. It is over 100% strong with minimal stress risers.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 02:21 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
Assembled before paint. Everyone loves their baby but to my eye it is beautiful!! A plane I never thought I would own. I can hardly wait for the power system. I wouldn’t have to wait if they would quit pretending to pay me at work, but then I would have to quit pretending to work.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 02:53 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
I like that shrink wrap fuse repair trick.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:35 AM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
Note the second wider layer of Kevlar is over the first layer. This gives only one edge to finish. I have been doing this for awhile, learned it from a fellow PASS member. I On this fuse with its flat square sides I wish I had put a piece of EPP foam inside before shrinking to keep the flat sides from bowing in. But as it is it is over 100% strong.

Bernie
Old Sep 29, 2003, 04:12 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,695 Posts
Just put a ShredAir sticker on it. That's what they're for... For picking up all those Pesz pieces and making them work again, I'll sponsor your first F5F plane with a free prop; please invest the money you would have had to spend for it toward a good battery pack.

Dieter Mahlein
http://shredair.com
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Sep 29, 2003, 04:34 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
Wow, thanks Dieter!! I will now have to quit referring to you as the SLS guy. BTW will be getting GP 3300 packs, which should work well.

BTW this plane already had a couple of crashes and a Shredair sticker. This explains why Pesz has all those Shredair stickers. It's a secret sponsorship deal to keep his planes together.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 12:27 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
Received two propellers from Dieter. One is a 15 X 13 for learning to fly. The other is a narrow 15 X 15 for contests. Both are handmade carbon. I will post pictures soon.

Now I am just waiting on the Aveox F12 motor system and my Surprise 10 will be ready to fly. Hopefully there will be enough good weather to test fly before the fields get saturated and too soggy to fly.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 08:45 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
Damn these are pretty

Shredair's contribution to the F5F on the cheap project. I think Dieter is helping so he doesn’t have to see my 100” Mythus with an Endoplasma through a 5.5 to 1 gearbox and a 16 X 10 prop. This think actually flies really well for a thermal ship but it sure isn’t F5F.

These things are works of art. Shown is a 15 X 13 wide prop on the top for learning to fly fast then a 15 X 15 to go really really fast.

I am waiting for the F12 Aveox system, which is on its way. I bought a 25 gauge syringe to finish injecting CA into the wing cracks.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 08:46 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
Oops.
Old Nov 02, 2003, 09:29 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
Motor system

Here is my F5F on the cheep motor system. It is an Aveox F12 with an H260 controller. These where both purchased from ezoner Dr.E for $250, so far the only out of pocket expenses for this project. This is a somewhat dated but very powerful 10-cell system. The dated part makes it affordable for me. The system looks NIB and according to Dr.E was never mounted.
Last edited by Flutterbug; Nov 03, 2003 at 11:01 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2003, 09:30 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
Top view
Old Nov 02, 2003, 09:32 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
I forgot, the other expense was the battery pack. The cells are from Cheap Battery Packs. Michael has been so good to me I didn't have the heart to hit him up for a donation to the project. Besides, CBP prices are so good it is hard to ask for a discount.
Old Nov 10, 2003, 03:26 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
Smooth

I finally got all of the parts, broken and new, together in my Surprise 10 and was ready for the maiden. A recap, this is a broken Surprise 10 that was given to me don Pesznecker to repair. I purchased an Aveox F12 with M260 controller, I purchased CP3300 cells and built a pack, was given a 15X13 and a 15X15 prop from Shredair. I put the Surprise back together with epoxy, kevlar and CA and used a hitec 555 receiver I had in stock. I struggled a bit getting my 9c programmed for the Surprise but finally got it close enough to test fly.

I was more than a little nervous while I was putting the Surprise together for it’s first flight under my control at our sod farm flying field. One of my causes for concern was my experience trying to fly an F5B plane I had downloaded for MFS. On the simulator the minute I hit the throttle switch the plane flew out of site. I could never find it until after it crashed. A couple of times I tired to locate the model by sound by hitting the throttle switch. This made the crashed more spectacular.

Don flew the test launch with Bob, another experienced F5F flyer on launching duties. Don got some altitude, flew around a bit and after pronouncing the plane flyable handed me the Tx. The first thing I noticed was the surprise did exactly where you point it, it literally carves its way through the sky. It would speed up with the nose down, slow with the nose up, turns where very predictably and groovy. There were no surprises  As I was raving about how easy the Surprise is to fly and how cool vertical climbs are Don whispered in my ear, “It is a little know fact how easy F5F airplanes are to fly. If they were hard to fly, at the speeds they travel at, you couldn’t fly them at all.” He did add that they don’t like bad landings so I let Don land it the first flight. After charging the second flight I flew from beginning to end. Besides boring holes in the sky I practice F5F turns until some pilots at the end of the field told me I was making them nervous flying toward them so I switched to practicing thermal flying (there weren’t any). My first landing was a non-event. I was pretty enthused about flying the Surprise. It was fast, predictable and just plain fun.

On the third flight Don timed and I practiced an F5F flight. Most of my laps were long but a couple were short, it sort of averaged out. My previous best, flying my Mythus, was 13 laps. I easily did 24 with the Surprise with pretty sloppy flying. On the thermal task I used quite a bit of motor because there were no thermals. Don did show me the best way to get time in no thermal conditions but I can’t tell you without killing you. Again, the landing was a non-event though not close to a spot because I missed the Oh Sh*t switch by throwing the wrong switch. With Don yelling spoilers in my ear I hit the correct switch with the throttle ˝ way down, the spoilers came on half way, the Surprise ballooned and settled in for a good landing.

I could never have imagined how easy and fun an F5B ship could be. I can hardly wait for F5F season to start and hope to be able to practice some this winter.
Last edited by Flutterbug; Nov 11, 2003 at 03:31 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2003, 06:07 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,867 Posts
Another F5F pilot is born!

Hey, congratulations Bernie! You probably won't stop smiling for days!

Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970