HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:13 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,398 Posts
Sam
Yes there is spongy-ness in the arm and it is by intent to some extant . Of course too much will make it hard to track, but some degree helps to save the servo from getting stripped. I fly off grass mostly and the nose gear takes a lot of bumps and side forces as it goes over higher grass and low pot holes. I have not found it to be a problem in tracking, but it does require tightening every few flights. Use of a metal vs a nylon arm will reduce the spongy-ness if desired.

Also I like to run the steering on a different channel slaved off the rudder channel. This allows me to trim the steering independant of the rudder trim.

Fahim
awrightbrother is offline Find More Posts by awrightbrother
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:02 AM
OUCH!!!
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Sep 2008
481 Posts
I have my nose wheel set up the same way, and mixed so that when the gear switch goes up, the steering returns to neutral and stays there until I select gear down. Now that I have a few AR12000's on the way, I get to dig out the 921 Rx and rest everything with the new Rx.

Any suggestions on a scale sized pilot for this bird? I want to start a cockpit, but I need a pilot to center everything around. I have this figured at 1:9.5 scale, and as we are all well aware, that is a tough size to find. Maybe at Toledo coming up I'll find something, but suggestions are more than welcome. My gf thought I should get a Barbie and put a nice uniform on her.

The changesun 12 bladers sound great, and have more power than I want, so I know it'll get into the air. What are the thoughts on aileron/elevator throws? I know what the manual says, but real world settings would be nice to hear about.

Jay
Jayray123 is offline Find More Posts by Jayray123
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:09 AM
Sometimes it work some don't
╔mirats arabes unis, Ras el Kha´mah, Ras Al-Khaimah
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
This A-10 is definitly part of my to-do list... I'll build it in Depron as I'm a foam guy... I love it's design! Will be following this thread. Popcorn
RCSquale is offline Find More Posts by RCSquale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Sparrow
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:03 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,398 Posts
Jay
I have a cockpit with a built-in pilot that is the right size. It is not the most scale setup, but good enough for most. Perhaps you can modify it some to get it more scale if that is what you are looking for. Details are at:

http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...aed17215c45ec9

I outfitted mine with the CS 12 blade fans and flew it. I could not feel much difference in thrust, but it sure sounds more like a turbine.

I like to set the throws at max on high rate and 70% on low rate. Both with 30% exponential. It does require some up elevator to fly level especially if the CG is set at the point specified in the manual. On subsequent flights I moved the cg back a little and was able to almost neutralize the elevator.

RC Squale,
You don't need depron, I have a kit with your name on it and we do ship worldwide.
Details at : http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...aed17215c45ec9

Fahim
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:11 PM
Fly more Foam
United States, IN, Sellersburg
Joined Jun 2004
709 Posts
Thanks Fahim on the steering arm insight. Will try to solder an arm of either brass stock or aluminum somehow. If all else fails, ill throw in the nylon arm for now. Reason is i would like to still use the stock eflite steering arm or at least the style since it has a centering spring to nuetralize the strut while retracting. As is seen by my earlier post of the nose wheel well, there isnt much room to have the wheel cocked when retracting or extending.
Gear door will be actuated by a VERY VERY small servo, DS35 from parkzone, and i mean small. I might have to end up installing a gear door sequencer just for the nose door but it is turning out to be a truly ALL ELECTRIC jet.

Jay, I have both a 1/9 and 1/10 pilot bust from Century Jet and i am favoring the smaller size. When looking at the pics of inflight A10's, the pilot really does have alot of office space and even in the pics the size varies per each pilot.

RCSquale; Depron would be great i think for a smaller size plane but Fahim has done a great job on the cnc foam parts for this kit that a lot of work of shaping and such is already done saving great amounts of time in the build. The reason mine is taking so long is all the extra detail and mods i have incorperated. Jay has build his fairly fast even with the three piece wing and has done a very good job if it.
Yes im plugging for Fahim and tooting my horn but hey, it is a very good kit!
If your interested in another thread of this very kit, Fahim has his original build thread on here and myself and another builder has another thread over on rcscalebuilder.com. More of different variuos ideas that have been done to the builds is well documented in either thread and as always, we will be glad to answer any questions. Enjoy the reading!
http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...nes&PN=0&TPN=1
sam51401 is offline Find More Posts by sam51401
Last edited by sam51401; Mar 21, 2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: reply to rcsquale
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:50 AM
Fly more Foam
Joined Jun 2004
709 Posts
i finally found my servo connetor crimpers and was able to change the micro connector to a standard servo connector and try out the gear door actuation and nose retract.
The servo is a very very small digital but after hearing it buzz at rest and such i think i may need an analog servo instead. Not many of that type that are this small but its still work in progress.
Servo is a Parkzone DS35 on a 4cell radio pack (4.8v) and a cheap servo tester. The humming or seeking that the digital does at rest may be the old battery pack im using but not sure. The Jomar gear door sequencer is great but wish i could program this through the radio without adding additional equipment but oh well.
VIDEO0007.3gp (0 min 59 sec)

This is my first YouTube upload so if it doesnt work, ill try again and also it was taken with my phone!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:46 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,398 Posts
Very nice Sam.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:20 AM
OUCH!!!
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Sep 2008
481 Posts
Getting closer....Many thanks to Brad for the graphics, they look awesome! I concealed the hatch pin under an antenna, and the nacelle hatches use one hidden pin to hold in place, I'll take detail pics if anyone would like to see them. Only things really left to do before maiden is grind flats on all the LG strut pins, and make a battery hold down apparatus. I'll do the gear doors after I know it flies and get some temps off the ESC's. I can see needing some additional air getting into the fuse for them.

Jay
Jayray123 is offline Find More Posts by Jayray123
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:25 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,398 Posts
Wow Jay, she is looking beautiful.

BTW Getstencils.com sells a dry transfer set of graphics for this model, if you need more.

I like to check all the temps on the bench before the maiden. Since EDFs do not have a prop wash I simulate airflow with a leaf blower pointed at the nose, and then run WOT for 1 or 2 minutes, and if all is well, for as long as the batteries run down.

Just my 2 cents worth. I really want your maiden to be a success.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:50 AM
Fly more Foam
Joined Jun 2004
709 Posts
Looks Fantastic Jay! Im off work taking vacation this week and still debating on whether to go up to Toledo but plan on getting items caught up on the Hog also. I really hope you get someone to video the maiden for all to see
Pics of your ideas on your build are alwasy great to see. Please post them when able.

Sam
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:06 AM
Fly more Foam
Joined Jun 2004
709 Posts
The pylons, stock per Fahim's instructions? The simplest idea to date so far i have seen.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:29 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrightbrother View Post
...I outfitted mine with the CS 12 blade fans and flew it. I could not feel much difference in thrust, but it sure sounds more like a turbine....
Interesting

Do you have any flight vids of this?!

Regards
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Last edited by erh7771; Apr 09, 2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:40 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Interesting

Do you have any flight vids of this?!

Regards
No sorry I did not make a video with the CS fans. I have asked a friend to fly it too. He was the pilot in the videos I have on my website with the Midi fans. This way I am hoping to get a second opinion on the CS vs the Midi. Hopefully I can schedule it soon and will make a video.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:09 PM
Fly more Foam
Joined Jun 2004
709 Posts
I did a test of my LSII stock that i had ordered with the kit..........year and a half ago!!!! It's still good so more to come!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:55 AM
Fly more Foam
Joined Jun 2004
709 Posts
Cant wait for the maiden video and flight report Jay. Looks really great.
I have updated on my build over on the other site and will be posting more soon. I figure why double post everything.
http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...78&PN=1&TPN=35

Here are a few teasers