HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:53 AM
Joined Nov 2006
687 Posts
Discussion
School me on b450 upgrades.

I've been away from the RC scene for a while. I had some coin burning a whole in my pocket so I got a Blade 450 from the LHS. I've got 30 flights so far without crashing. I can't believe how stable this is compared to the CP Pro that I learned on a few years ago.

I would say my flying style is "scale-ish." Definitely not hard 3d, but a few flips and rolls mixed in.

So here I am thinking about getting CF blades, but I have no idea which ones are good. Ebay has some pretty cheap, but are they any good?

I figure I'll upgrade parts as they break, but is there anything you all think need upgrading before that?

Thanks
ndb8fxe is offline Find More Posts by ndb8fxe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2011, 04:05 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,302 Posts
The servo's are not the best. For mild 3D no need for carbon blades, if you use decent quality woods, like the Align Pro blades.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:56 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
My suggested order of upgrades:

1. gyro
2. servos
3. carbon blades (I prefer radix, can get the cosmetically flawed ones and save a few bucks).
4. esc
5. motor
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:07 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb8fxe View Post
I've been away from the RC scene for a while. I had some coin burning a whole in my pocket so I got a Blade 450 from the LHS. I've got 30 flights so far without crashing. I can't believe how stable this is compared to the CP Pro that I learned on a few years ago.

I would say my flying style is "scale-ish." Definitely not hard 3d, but a few flips and rolls mixed in.

So here I am thinking about getting CF blades, but I have no idea which ones are good. Ebay has some pretty cheap, but are they any good?

I figure I'll upgrade parts as they break, but is there anything you all think need upgrading before that?

Thanks
The components of the B450 are quite excellent... quality Carbon blades are always a nice upgrade (but the woodies fly very well).

I suggest you fly it and enjoy it!

David
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:33 PM
Quads Helis Planes Cars
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Aug 2009
421 Posts
I love my Blade 450 just as is.
I am by no means an expert heli pilot but I can fly this one just fine.

Can't wait for the inevitable Blade 120CP. Come on Horizon. Let the cat out of the bag
Nerm is offline Find More Posts by Nerm
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:54 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,259 Posts
My order of upgrades went more like this. Slightly different than what Druss posted.
Blades Cheap 3D pro cf 325s, then 335s for less than $7 a set.
Second was to replace the constantly stripping servos, This happened on week #2. (HS65mg's on cyclics, I went through dozens of tail servos until I ended up with the MksDs95i)
Then I went after the tail gyro (Quark). Then the Esc. (Ice50)
Next, the tail gear upgrade. Then the canopy mod so I could run 2200ma batts.
Motor was good for Multiple hundreds of flights until I lost the lower bearing. Finally settled on the Scorp 2221-2010 6s version.
keep in mind mine was the cheapie B400 and along the line I also had to upgrade to the metal head and tail. I also had to upgrade the gears to microhelis since the stockers wobbled so badly.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis