HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2011, 09:57 AM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
I've seen designs with bent bellcranks but will be interested to see your solution. I suppose burying the bellcrank in the wing might cause other problems.

Take your time...
If nobody has an objection (and it does not contravene any old-timer rules) I will modify to fit the bellcrank in the wing.
I am currently cleaning up my old Oliver Tiger Cub and will build a Claim jumper over the winter.
John
John O'Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2011, 10:38 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John O'Sullivan View Post
If nobody has an objection (and it does not contravene any old-timer rules) I will modify to fit the bellcrank in the wing.
I don't think there's any official rules to break. Besides, I'm told even the strict British and Australian "Vintage" classes allow things like moving the wing up or down.

If you think having the bellcrank in the wing is the best solution, you have every right to draw it that way.

Is there room to run the pushrod above the wing? Or maybe it gets in the way of the tank?
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Nov 08, 2011, 08:59 AM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,022 Posts
I have updated the Claim Jumper plans which now have the Bellcrank located in the wing.
The leadouts are plastic coated braided multi-stranded braided fishing leader.
A single piece is threaded through one of the bellcrank holes (two wraps) then to the other hole (two wraps) and then back out the wing.
Visited the model shop yesterday and got some beautiful grain 1/4" balsa for wing and very light 3/8" for the fuselage top.
John O'Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
Last edited by John O'Sullivan; Nov 08, 2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 01:59 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,355 Posts
John, I'm impressed. By the plan and by your will to draw and share it!

Pertti

I have another photo from 1971...
Last edited by perttime; Nov 08, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 08:55 PM
Hartsville, SC
Joined Apr 2006
902 Posts
What about Class "C"?

Hi Perttime
I think that there was also a "Class C" for 10 cc engines. A few years ago I bought an oversize Dalesman with a ST 60 Rear Intake engine off ebay. I think the wing span is about 30 inches or so. I can post pictures if there is an interest.
Best Regards
Joshua
N99JH is online now Find More Posts by N99JH
Old Nov 09, 2011, 04:09 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,355 Posts
Any post on Racers is welcome here!

I haven't seen or heard much about Class C racers. I saw an article recently on a scaled up Dalesman, but that's it.... Found the article again: it is in a "Torque Roll" newsletter from http://www.nclra.org . Here's a copy:
Old Nov 09, 2011, 04:11 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
417 Posts
John,

Build it as you wish and go have some fun. Regrettably as a 1960's model it doesn't make our Vintage 1/2A cutoff date of 1957.

Pity because that's a lovely looking model, would be a rocket with a good Olly or one of Steve Rothwell's R150's.

Our local V1/2A scene is dominated by Pawprints, although my pitman like to build different models. Current one is a Lil Warrior. Fast and beautiful to fly.

Regards

Greg
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Nov 09, 2011, 04:41 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggles47 View Post
Our local V1/2A scene is dominated by Pawprints, although my pitman like to build different models. Current one is a Lil Warrior. Fast and beautiful to fly.
I like the proportions of the Lil Warrior. It looks ... muscular for such a small airplane. There's a drawing for it near the beginning of this thread.

Here's a few Lil Warrior photos. They may have been posted originally by "locktite401" or "gossie" (I haven't labeled the files with their origin...)
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:00 AM
Hartsville, SC
Joined Apr 2006
902 Posts
Quote:
Any post on Racers is welcome here!

I haven't seen or heard much about Class C racers. I saw an article recently on a scaled up Dalesman, but that's it.... Found the article again: it is in a "Torque Roll" newsletter from http://www.nclra.org . Here's a copy:
Thanks so much for posting this article. I believe that I now proudly own that exact Dalesman, except that as I said: it now sports a ST 60RI engine. If anyone here knows Mr. Wallick, please show him this post. I would love to talk to him about this model

Joshua
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:11 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,355 Posts
What about the pictures?

The picture in the article is so small... Maybe you have something better.

edit:
Do I sound impatent?
Maybe I do, and am. Please don't let that bother you too much.
Last edited by perttime; Nov 09, 2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:18 AM
Hartsville, SC
Joined Apr 2006
902 Posts
Quote:
What about the pictures?

The picture in the article is so small... Maybe you have something better.
I will post pictures shortly.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 03:30 PM
Hartsville, SC
Joined Apr 2006
902 Posts
Dalesman Class "C"

I measured the wingspan on the Dalesman and it is approx. 46 inches. Here are a few pictures of it.
Joshua
Old Nov 09, 2011, 04:17 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,355 Posts
It does look like the one in the article. The 2003 contact information for the builder is in the article (it is not Mr. Wallick but Mr. Starkey)
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:08 PM
Hartsville, SC
Joined Apr 2006
902 Posts
Quote:
It does look like the one in the article. The 2003 contact information for the builder is in the article (it is not Mr. Wallick but Mr. Starkey)
I stand corrected, thank you. I emailed John Starkey and he confirmed that this Dalesman was his indeed. I will talk to him by phone tomorrow and report back.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:59 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,355 Posts
Here's a FAI Class Racer from 1967: Trident V, designed by David Balch.

I'm attaching the drawing from Aeromodeller July 1967 and Hedley J. Potter's detailed plan based on that drawing.