HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2011, 02:12 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,186 Posts
A few images I've saved. From 1970-71, or so.

A couple of unusual designs, models traded for an engine, and a magazine page (I think Aeromodeller)
perttime is online now Find More Posts by perttime
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2011, 08:19 PM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,017 Posts
Some team racers from Ireland 1965 and Canada 1968.
one is of Con Carroll with Gerry Hand's model from post #1
Joe Devenish with 1/2 A racer now flies F2C for Brazil.
Others are Stan Cussen with 1/2 A racers (Aeromodeller plan -possibly from Wharfedale source.
Canadian model is by Ken Parent and Dave Kelly and is probably the best finished F2C I've ever seen
John O'Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
Old Nov 01, 2011, 05:49 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,186 Posts
Thanks for posting those photos: I like them! In those years, designs were getting more streamlined.

The 1/2A models in the Stan Cussen and John McNally photo (red and blue) look a lot like the Dick Place designed "Countdown", published in Aeromodeller, January 1963. At least myHobbystore seems to be selling full size plans for it.

Theres a drawing for a Parent & Kelly racer at http://clamf.aerosports.net.au/categ...I-Articles.htm
The photo there shows #9 on the wing, so it is probably built a little later than the one in your picture.
(there's much more on that page, and I plan to post most of it here, unless someone else beats me to it...)
Old Nov 01, 2011, 02:28 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,186 Posts
Almost half done with the CLAMF stuff... I need a bit of color now.

Some Italian models, and one photographed in Holland.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 06:42 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,186 Posts
More from the CLAMF site.

I think some of the drawings may be good enough to enlarge and build from. On the other hand... I saw a comment from a guy who was there, that he did not recognize his model from Aeromodeller drawings He also said that people did not build their racers from plans. If there was interest, plans might be created afterwards. But: "Who wants to fly a model that someone else designed, anyway?"

Old Nov 02, 2011, 10:36 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,186 Posts
The rest of the things I found at CLAMF go here.

Many of the articles that go with the pictures contain construction notes and even construction photos. These may be very useful, as Team Racers are somewhat different from most types of miniature aircraft that most of us encounter nowadays.

Some of the drawings here will be included both as a small picture and a PDF file.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 10:49 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,186 Posts
I like the lines of the Zolotoverch & Kobets 1963 model. Somebody mentioned that it may have been an inspiration for style in other designs in mid 1960s. Gerry Hand's 1965 model (pictured in my first post and John O'Sullivans post above the CLAMF material) looks like it has somewhat similar proportions.

The Timeta (previous post) is one design that has been built in recent years, at least in Australia:
Old Nov 02, 2011, 01:17 PM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,017 Posts
Hi perttime:
I am coming close to getting my Claim Jumper 1/2A CAD drawings done and will post full size pdf drawings when done.
The inspiration for the Claim Jumper was the 1963 Criterium which I attended as a spectator on the way home from the Free Flight WC in Austria.
As primarily a free flight flier, I was totally impressed with the team race in Ghenk and as soon as I got home I put pen to paper on the Claim Jumper. Two versions were built, one a high aspect ratio straight tapered wing model (inspired by Dick Edmunds) and the other was the Claim Jumper. They served me well through 1965, after which I emigrated to Canada.
I had basically ceased CL flying at that time, concentrating on FF and RC Sailplane.
However, A telephone call from Joe Devenish from Brazil earlier this year got the juices flowing again when he asked if I had the drawings of the model. I had the original drawing and had planned for many years to redraw it in CAD.

Sadly, there is no active CL of any significance here in Nova Scotia Canada, but in the hours I have put into the re-draw, I could have built and finished a model.
I still have the original Oliver Cub, so I have no excuse now not to build one. I had a major house fire about 7 years ago, so the motor got smoked badly as did the original plan.
I am totally impressed with the number of team racer plans that have been preserved and thank you for collecting them.
Copyright be damned, the preservation of these drawings is very important. I have quite a number of designs, from Free Flight to RC Sailplane and Electric which I have made available as free PDF plans on my web site ( www.windandwavemodels.com ). Note: I have a model listed as Claim Jumper which is a 60" Slope Racer I designed in 1995, and as I had little to do with TR at that time I re-used the name for the glider. I work in mining exploration and can verify that Claim Jumpers have no ethics.
Let's face it, nobody is going to get rich selling plans, so we might as well make them freely available to everyone to promote the preservation of the hobby.
John O'Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
Last edited by John O'Sullivan; Nov 02, 2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 04:23 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,186 Posts
To be honest, my hands-on experience in building and flying anything is in no way in proportion to the number of posts I've made at various forums Lately, I've found - again - that the lower tech (as in non-computerized) forms of flight are highly fascinating.

Having browsed the net for more of the fascinating things, I've managed to save some on my computer, seen some sites disappear, and suffered some computer problems of my own, too. Quite a lot of information is out there, but for how long? Roger Reese posting his drawings at the Hippocket site pushed me over the brink, into posting the TR material that I have, here.

... Some photos that I've found. Class B designs, a few old, and some fairly recent ones done in the spirit of "simpler times".
Old Nov 03, 2011, 06:45 AM
Joined Nov 2008
287 Posts
Here's a scan of the plan for the Vintage B class team racer called the "Double Dice". Current Australian and UK rules allow the wing position to be moved up or down as required. Moving the wing down about 20mm allows a tank to fit above it within the crutch. This is the optiminal position for it.

Ray
locktite401 is offline Find More Posts by locktite401
Old Nov 03, 2011, 07:04 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,186 Posts
Thanks! That is a nice plan!

I thought leadouts would be inside the wing, but apparently not in 1955, at least on the Double dice.

I just found a few photos on a Finnish forum: one from 1978, and a couple of B racers that look more recent. Unfortunately, I don't know much more about who and what. I love the look of the second one that I titled just "Finnish B racer"

There's no racing scene here and C/L in general is small. I was happy to see that some people have built racers anyway.

edit:
I found out a little more about the B racers in color pictures: they were built by Mr. Olli Jovero of Porvoo, Finland. Apparently, he has also built model boats and knives, and designed a composite military helmet. The purple racer has a rear induction/side exhaust Super Tigre .29, and the Good Year racer behind it has an MVVS .15 diesel.
Last edited by perttime; Nov 03, 2011 at 11:18 AM.