HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2011, 08:09 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Discussion
Control Line Team Racer plans and pictures

I've been finding, and posting, Team Racer plans, drawings and photos in various places. Just yesterday I found some material that is totally new to me, and thought it would be nice to have a lot of that stuff in one place. So now I'm starting this thread.

I mainly like the look of designs from 1950s to 1970s, and will mainly be posting material from that period.

Please feel free to post what you have, whether it is from those decades or not.

EDIT:
Some of the links that I've been visiting:
Barton Model Flying Club: UK, forum and gallery, worldwide participation
Control Line Aircraft Modellers of Frankston: Australia, rules, descriptions, pictures, newsletters...
Australian Control Line Nostalgia
Andrew and Lance’s Classic T/R Site
Lance's Control Line Racing Site
Göran Olsson's CL site
Microaeronautics: old site is getting worn out: parts are falling off along the edges!
National Control Line Racing Association: USA
U-Control 2000: Italian
AŃOS DORADOS DE CARRERAS: Spanish TR thread on RCModelistas.es

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
What is Team Racing?
"""""""
Race three or four models simultaneously in one circle, limit the size of their fueltanks to force refuelling stops during the race, and the result is a Teamrace.
"""""""
http://dkd.net/clmodels/racing.html

After a countdown from 5 seconds, the "pit men" start engines and launch models. During flight, passing must be done over the slower ones. Once fuel runs out or pilot activates a cutoff, the pilot lands hot enough not to waste time but not so hot that the pit man cannot catch the plane. Refuel, restart, launch. Repeat until you have flown the right number of laps.
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Now, a few pretty pictures to get started.

1965 FAI class racer by Gerry Hand of Ireland

Australian Classic B class "Galaxie" owned by Rob Fry

British Vintage 1/2A class racer. I have no more details on this one.

I'll be back.
perttime is online now Find More Posts by perttime
Last edited by perttime; Nov 01, 2011 at 04:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:03 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Plans...

Team Racer plans, or drawings, often have very little detail. I'll start with some that are exceptionally detailed.

1950s Class A racers "Elliptical" and "Original William Henry", CAD drawn by John Horton, and 1962 Class 1/2A "Leveret III" from Model Aircraft Magazine.

(please check dimension if you want to build: I'm not quite sure about scaling)
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:26 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Just a couple of pictures now. Classic B racers, or whatever it is called in each country: modern interpretations of the rules from times when Team Racers still looked like "proper" airplanes. Class B means max 5 cc / .30 ci engines.

John Hallowell's "Rocket" (Australia)
Mick Orchard's "Cleaver" (Great Britain)
Dave Dawson (USA), I don't have a name for the airplane
Old Oct 29, 2011, 08:32 PM
United States, OH, Ashtabula
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
vintage 1/2 a

Perttime,

Thanks for posting. Not racing here but decided to build a couple over the winter for Sunday flying. Nothing nicer looking than a well finished team racer or proto..

Thanks,

Rick
carrier flyer is offline Find More Posts by carrier flyer
Old Oct 30, 2011, 08:01 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Roger Reese with a Tigress, and what looks like a 1/2A P-40 to me. Some other photos with Tigresses. Ken Long designed a series of Tigresses; these look like 1960s iterations. The drawing is a magazine scan from Aeromodeller: 1959 version of the Tigress.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:07 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Speaking about Ken Long...

In late 1950s he designed the Dalesman for Class B racing.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:39 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
A plan for Ken Long's Tigress was published in Model Aircraft Magazine, January 1963. It is not the first or last Tigress design...

I patched a plan together out of pictures found at http://clamf.aerosports.net.au/categ...I-Articles.htm
The wing is not quite perfect, but I think this version of my file should at least print close to the correct size.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 04:16 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
I have a picture of one more Ken Long design: the K31 from 1957. Once I'm posting, maybe another picture too...

Both pics found at http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/portal.php
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:40 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,500 Posts
Good stuff "perttime". Keep up the good work please.

Your welcome to put up the ones I put up some time ago elsewhere if you wish to.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:00 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Thanks, gossie.

I've been saving a lot of stuff on my computer but might also have missed some things. I haven't been quite systematic either: sometimes I just pick the ones that appeal to me most. I plan to post just about everything I can find, but others are more than welcome to add what they have, too.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:41 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
For some Team Racing, or Speed, fun you don't necessarily need an elaborate aircraft and engine made out of unobtanium. Profile fuselage, simple wing, and a garden variety engine will do it, once you manage to agree on some rules to somewhat level the playing field (that could be the hard part...). In a few places in Europe, at least, people have been flying Mini Team Racing and Club 30. In Italy, people took an old plank design and ran Proto Speed contest with it: a certain number of laps timed from launch.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:16 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Proto Speed

It looks like it could be fun, and the airplanes used in it look nice too.

In Australia, they run a Proto Speed class where "Models must conform to the model size, engine size and relevant minimum line size specifications for the Class II team racer." Control Line Aircraft Modellers of Frankston has the Australian rules and other information.

In USA, North American Speed Society has information on their 21 Proto and 1/2A Profile Proto classes, among others. In US usage 1/2A is interpreted as .05 ci engines.

"stwilk" has posted pictures of a variety of American Speed and Team Race events: http://community.webshots.com/user/stwilk
Last edited by perttime; Oct 31, 2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:47 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Larry Rice of Blackhawk Models has been running an interesting "Speed" event for some years: a postal race using the Perky design. The unusual thing is that extreme speeds are not encouraged: the winner is the one whose speed is closest to everybody's average.

The Perky is not designed for modern hot engines. The moderate speeds also make it feasible to fly without a "pylon", or a post in the center of the circle, where the handle is placed in faster classes.