HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2003, 07:31 AM
Product Manager at Hobbico
United States
Joined May 2000
5,156 Posts
yes, I normally go to the RCACF "airshow" the weekend after christmas, but the guys in our club set this date for the electric event, so I'll be in Melbourne this year. Heard the test flights on the above mentioned project went well last weekend, and it will be here this weekend. I was a bit wrong , it's more like 4600 or so watts
From the sound of this thread and the calls and emails I'm getting, I think we're all set to have a VERY LARGE turnout. weather.com predicts high of 74 both days, lows of 58 and 57 and only 10mph winds (quite low for our area)
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:23 PM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
The Peashooter has been fixed....I plan to fly it again on Friday in the hopes that I will have an uneventful event this weekend....
Jeff Meyers is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Meyers
Old Dec 25, 2003, 03:15 PM
Extra 330L
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Joined Apr 2002
979 Posts
Everyone' batteries on the charger?!
Rob Honeycutt is offline Find More Posts by Rob Honeycutt
Old Dec 26, 2003, 05:43 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Batteries a chargin.

We'll be bringing a large group from the Orlando Squadron over there for Saturday at least. We might hit RCACF for their show on Sunday since it is one day only. Mabye not though. I really enjoyed going to this meet 2 years ago. Then I only brought my GWS Zero. This year it will be my Bipe Squadron (Fleet, Albatros, Super Stearman, and Camel) along with my Psycho Slow Stick which is fitted with a 4 mp camera for aerial stuff (air-air and ground) and my Sonic Liner Fighter. I would bring more, but I just have so many batteries. Lipo's just take too long to charge.

I would like to get a bunch of slow flyers in the air for a mass formation shot sometime on Saturday. We've had 12 planes in the air for one here in Orlando. Lots of fun if you get planes that are around the same speed. Get them going in the same direction and mid-air's aren't a problem, not much of one anyway.

Rob

Oops- forgot some - also bringing my Howard DGA-3 Pete, Wright Flyer and GWS Pizza. 9 planes total
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
Last edited by RMason; Dec 26, 2003 at 05:51 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 10:23 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,177 Posts
Someone please take lots of video and pictures. I hate that I am missing this.

Mike
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Dec 27, 2003, 06:59 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
Nice day, plenty of sunshine, 70's afternoon. I had to leave around 3 pm but did get to see some nice stuff. Giant scale Extra (I think) from Ron H. was very impressive, G Wright made a very nice flight, very impressive power and duration, does not give anything away to gas except noise. G Wright also wowed the crowd with his E3d dance, and demo'd his new delta and flying wing jets that use the wattage fan units. Saw a big hotliner a scale Spitfire, the peashooter, and various small foamies. A few nice looking pattern planes, I belive a scat pylon racer, and Chris True's Banshee EDF (very nice and ROGrass). Chris also had his El bandito EDF but I had to leave before getting to see it fly, looked great. I brought my two EDF's the Minx and the micro bandit, as well as the astro 010 equiped stinger pylon racer and my Estreak. I tried the microbandit, but the grass is just to soft and irregular for ROG, the small wheels of the bandit got stuck. I did manage to get a couple of flights on the Minx and the stinger. I told some of the guys the stinger is my parkflyer, I just fly from park to park and back again. Overall a very good day. There was a couple of vendors, with good stuff and good prices, only two that I could see, but this was the first annual event so maybe it will pick up and be more like the SEFF in the vendor area in the future.
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Dec 27, 2003, 07:34 PM
Oviedo,FL
Joined Dec 2000
1,164 Posts
Hey Dave,
Lemme kmow if you get some plans for the Microbandit...I was very impressed with it, wish I could've seen it fly!

I had a great time today...A little windy for most of my planes, but I got some good stick time on my little warbird pylon racer. I also picked up a new charger, and won an E3D in the raffle! Yep, not a bad day at all
On a bad note, I managed to stuff my buddy's Twin Otter into a bush. No idea what happened, I remember making base to final and seeing the starboard prop stop turning, and I have absolutely zero engine-out experience....THAT was pretty embarrassing
R. Carver is offline Find More Posts by R. Carver
Last edited by R. Carver; Dec 27, 2003 at 07:37 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 08:01 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
If you are not going to Melbourne tomorrow, you can get to see the MB at RCACF airshow. I did get a chance to see the mustang fly, Wow, very nice on a stock speed 400.
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Dec 28, 2003, 04:58 AM
Product Manager at Hobbico
United States
Joined May 2000
5,156 Posts
just a quick note on the Extra Dave mentioned. That's the plane I hinted at earlier in the thread. It's a 35% extra from composite-arf.com with a custom 14 color paint job (I'm told 120 hours in the paint job alone by a custom harley painter), it has 2 Hacker C50 acro's with 6.7 gearboxes, then a belt drive to join them together to spin the custom 30X18 composite prop. each motor is fed by 10S4P lipo pack, total wattage is somewhere just under 5000 watts. 33 lbs which is roughly the same as gas. the gas ones ar in the 27 lb range, but have another 4 to 6 lbs of "liquids" (gas and smoke oil) that go into them for flight depending on the power setup. I had the privelage of flying the plane yesterday,.. takeoff and climbout at 1/8 throttle, unlimited vertical at 1/2 throttle. Hover (in the stratosphere due to my nerves ) takes about 1/2 throttle to maintain after you throttle back to stop the plane. Yes, 1/2 throttle is unlimited vertical if pulled vertical from a normal cruise flight, but once stopped it requires about 1/2 to hold in hover also. The only term that comes to mind is "obscene power".
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Dec 28, 2003, 11:00 AM
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,136 Posts
Rob
Congratulations on your Big Extra's debut! I'm sure it was awesome. Sorry I couldn't be there.

-- Kyle
kmashima is offline Find More Posts by kmashima
Old Dec 29, 2003, 05:17 AM
We'll all float on OK
Casselberry, Florida
Joined Dec 2002
1,507 Posts
It was a great event! I was only there Saturday, and I wish I had taken more photo's.

edit note: I had to remove the photo due to bandwidth concerns, sorry.
Tom Korn is offline Find More Posts by Tom Korn
Last edited by akorn; Dec 29, 2003 at 08:05 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 08:01 AM
Extra 330L
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Joined Apr 2002
979 Posts
Gary,

Thanks to you and your club for hosting a great Electric Event. Gary and Dale went out of their way and made dinner arrangments for anyone interested. It was nice to meet Gary's much better half, (Karen) too

Rob
Rob Honeycutt is offline Find More Posts by Rob Honeycutt
Old Dec 29, 2003, 08:54 AM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by akorn
It was a great event! I was only there Saturday, and I wish I had taken more photo's.

edit note: I had to remove the photo due to bandwidth concerns, sorry.
Resize those things and post them . I am dying to see some visuals.

Mike
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Dec 29, 2003, 08:59 AM
We'll all float on OK
Casselberry, Florida
Joined Dec 2002
1,507 Posts
Mike, I used another host to post that photo, and then realized that I could really cause him traffic problems if others linked to the photo. I had already resized the photo for web posting.

When I get home tonight, I'll try posting again. I'm not sure how things work here, can I upload directly from my PC, thereby not using a parking spot on someone else's server?
Old Dec 29, 2003, 09:00 AM
We'll all float on OK
Casselberry, Florida
Joined Dec 2002
1,507 Posts
BTW, you will not believe the paint job on the big thing Gary flew! They said they used 5lbs of paint!!