HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2011, 06:49 AM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2010
199 Posts
Discussion
does electrical tape interfere/block microwave RF?

I was searching and I couldn't find a good answer. Normally my logic in this matter would lead me to believe that only something that conducts electricity could damped the RF signal. But I've read for small microwaves it could be different and actually negatively impact a signal when using electrical tape.

I've searched and all I've read is that electrical tape can block sensitive microwaves BUT not sure if true though?

. Isn't 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz considered microwave? Was wondering because I found that 3m vinyl/electrical tape adheres better and more secure to foam rather than duct tape for some reason. Wanted to use it to tape down my vtx than usual duct tape.

Anyone know if 3m vinyl electrical tape dampens radio frequency in the microwave range? using 2.4ghz and 72mhz. Not to be all "ocd" but I gotta know! hehe.
g3f0rc3 is offline Find More Posts by g3f0rc3
Last edited by g3f0rc3; Oct 29, 2011 at 11:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:02 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2010
199 Posts
bamp
g3f0rc3 is offline Find More Posts by g3f0rc3
Old Oct 29, 2011, 05:58 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
I certainly wouldn't use duct tape.. it has metallic bits in it (at least the silver stuff does). I would use hot glue or double sided tape.

I haven't heard of electrical tape causing issues, but then again are you going to be taping your antennas?
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Oct 29, 2011, 08:22 PM
Thou who know not
USA, MI, Mason
Joined Jul 2010
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3f0rc3 View Post
I was searching and I couldn't find a good answer. Normally my logic in this matter would lead me to believe that only something that conducts electricity could damped the RF signal. But I've read for small microwaves it could be different and actually negatively impact a signal when using electrical tape.

I've searched and all I've read is that electrical tape can block sensitive microwaves BUT not sure if true though?

. Isn't 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz considered microwave? Was wondering because I found that 3m vinyl/electrical tape adheres better and more secure to foam rather than duct tape for some reason. Wanted to use it to tape down my vtx than usual duct tape.

Anyone know if 3m vinyl electrical tape dampens radio frequency in the microwave range? using 2.4ghz and 72mhz. Not to be all "ocd" but I gotta know! hehe.
3GHz and above is considered microwave. Kinda odd as most of our "microwave ovens" are 2.4GHz.
Use thin strips if packing tape that would be less mass and you'll be fine.
Po73 is offline Find More Posts by Po73