HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:32 PM
SVX
Joined Oct 2002
638 Posts
Discussion
What Do I Do? (Aurora 9 Issue)

I guess I am just seeking advice. I purchased my Aurora 9 last December...loved it, still do. But right out of the box I would lose the signal to the optima 7 receiver that came with it after 5 minutes. Every time. So I sent it in and the Hitec guys gave me a new module which has worked flawlessly to date.

Well Yesterday, I put that same receiver in my Top Flite At-6 which has had 4 flights before. I had one good flight, then on the second flight I was banking left and lost all control. I watched it roll slowly left into the ground as I was holding full right. I have gone over every inch of the wreckage and can find no problem. All servos work, and in the right direction. I took the same battery and did a field check both using the 90ft range check feature of the radio and without. Everything works perfectly. But I definitely lost all control and all aspects of the plane to my knowledge were complete i.e. I did not lose an aileron or anything.
So do I send in the radio again to have them look at it? Buy another Receiver (the one in the plane was damaged) and try again? I hate to lose another plane...especially one that I built i.e. not ARF. Also I have not updated the software since I sent it in in February. Should this matter?

Do I trust this radio again? I am not bashing Hitec in any way in fact I love this radio but I need it be able to count on it.

Dust
SVX is offline Find More Posts by SVX
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:42 PM
Happy on 72
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Jul 2005
495 Posts
I would send the radio AND receiver in to Hitec for a checkup. If anything, they will ensure that you have the latest firmware updates and that the radio is checked out.

Mike
mwhitman is offline Find More Posts by mwhitman
Old Oct 29, 2011, 05:44 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX View Post
I guess I am just seeking advice. I purchased my Aurora 9 last December...loved it, still do. But right out of the box I would lose the signal to the optima 7 receiver that came with it after 5 minutes. Every time. So I sent it in and the Hitec guys gave me a new module which has worked flawlessly to date. Well Yesterday, I put that same receiver in my Top Flite At-6 which has had 4 flights before. I had one good flight, then on the second flight I was banking left and lost all control. I watched it roll slowly left into the ground as I was holding full right. I have gone over every inch of the wreckage and can find no problem. All servos work, and in the right direction. I took the same battery and did a field check both using the 90ft range check feature of the radio and without. Everything works perfectly. But I definitely lost all control and all aspects of the plane to my knowledge were complete i.e. I did not lose an aileron or anything. So do I send in the radio again to have them look at it? Buy another Receiver (the one in the plane was damaged) and try again? I hate to lose another plane...especially one that I built i.e. not ARF. Also I have not updated the software since I sent it in in February. Should this matter?
Do I trust this radio again? I am not bashing Hitec in any way in fact I love this radio but I need it be able to count on it.Dust
Always sorry to hear of a model going down. Unfortunately there are many reasons that could have caused such an experience.
. Did failsafe kick in? Not mentioned, thus suspect battery.
. What was the High/Low reading on the battery telemetry?
The lowest voltage seen may be a telling point, provided the failure was a not sudden loss of power on board between the transmit cycles, as with LiFe/Eneloop. Many with models over .40 size have stopped using LiFE, especially with digital servos.
. Battery for a model of that size, using 2.4Ghz should be 5 cell minimum, and if NiMH not less than sub c size (and certainly not eneloop), or Lipo regulated 5A+ UBEC to 6.0v.

. Many brownouts occur during high current drain manouvres such as a diving turn.
Batteries can recover almost instantly, but sometimes to late when close to ground.

Suggest refer email full details of the on board system to
Hitec Warranty & Service and ask for advise as to how to proceed and what they require, include details of:
. Battery pack type and capacity.
. Brand and type of every servo in use, especially if other than Hitec.
(some cheap units are cheap because they have cheap motors with a high current drain)
. All Hitec or any aftermarket accessories?

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 07:31 AM
The truth will prevail
Westbury, NY
Joined Nov 2009
682 Posts
@AT

I would simply say your statement is not correct!

A LiFePo4 fully charged and used only 80% of its capacity without any BEC is the best battery for large scale models. Between fully charged and 20% rest capacity the battery will not be the route cause for a brownout. I personally have it in all my large scale models and think it is the AHFSS system which has especially in crowded 2.4 GHz areas a systematic design problem as it is using only 20 channels for hopping.

Have a look on Dave Horvath's article and understand why : http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...he-discussion/

The ball is in Hitec's field to solve these problems whether it is a crowded 2.4GHz environment, the 20Ch issue, lockouts with gassers and kill switches or brownouts.

Juergen
skyrock is offline Find More Posts by skyrock
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:49 PM
SVX
Joined Oct 2002
638 Posts
Thanks for the comments gents, unfortunately I am still at a loss.

Alan T. Thanks for taking the time to write in and give me some things to check. The battery (4.8V 2300mAh) was good, the day after it tested 5.5 volts and 2100 mAh. So do you really feel that a 4.8V Battery is too small? Iíve always used them in the past and is listed in the manual as an acceptable battery?

Anyway more evidence to suggest that the battery was good was that some dummy (me) didn't turn on the Fail Safe. Not sure that it would have saved it as I was in a turn when I lost it, but it would have been much better to go in at idle vs. full throttle. I take responsibility on that one.

Anyway that leaves me with the only other possibility of losing the signal. My buddy who also fliesí with an Aurora and has never had a problem asked me whether I updated the firmware. Not since February have I updated it. Should this matter? It has worked flawlessly since then?

I will compile all the on board set up and shoot the support guys an email as you requested. I appreciate your help.

Dust
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:46 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,075 Posts
I would not fly on a 4 cell pack regardless of the brand radio on 2.4 Ghz it's too close to the brownout voltage.use a 5 cell 6v and also use the SPC port.I'll bet your problems come to an end and you will be able to see your Rx battery voltage on the screen.Very few people are having problems so you must be doing something wrong.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Oct 30, 2011, 04:08 PM
SVX
Joined Oct 2002
638 Posts
Okay question, I plugged the old battery into the spc and am not getting anything on the display of the transmitter. I'd like to have this feature, what else do I need to do?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 04:14 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
What receiver you using? That voltage telemetry is not available on some... But on the Optima's you should see that even when using the SPC port.
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2011, 04:40 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX View Post
Okay question, I plugged the old battery into the spc and am not getting anything on the display of the transmitter. I'd like to have this feature, what else do I need to do?
Battery voltage will not display on screen if there is a mismatch of the Aurora and Spectra firmware,
which have separate data ports for update or amendments.
Please check for latest firmware on both the Aurora 9 and the Spectr 2.4GHz module.
. Aurora 9 Receiver Battery Voltage Not Displaying on Transmitter
. Hitec 2.4 GHz AFHSS Equipment Updates

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 07:00 PM
SVX
Joined Oct 2002
638 Posts
Well I am all sorts of behind huh?

I'm actually a little relieved, there is something I can do to correct what happened and hopefully use my radio with confidence. Think I'm going to order me a new receiver as the one in the crash was damaged, get a Sub C 5 Cell battery and give it another shot. Oh ya, and complete all my updates. .

Thanks guys,
Dust
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:34 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
Errrr No.
Being out of date on software should not cause a crash, unless you are running Windows :/

I have not been exposed to the A9 much since only two people I know own one each, but both have experienced some unexplained crashes. Two losses were in striaght and level flight with the plane only 50m away. Send the lot in for a check up. there could be a software glitch which may or maynot be repaired with an update.
TimBle is online now Find More Posts by TimBle