HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 28, 2011, 06:39 PM
Registered User
Bonestockz06's Avatar
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2011
160 Posts
Trader Rating: 102
Discussion
Never been crashed, Never been hard landed, what a joke

Speaking about used Heli's in particular. I been in this hobby way too long and it still makes me laugh MAO when I see the famous "Never been crashed, Never had a hard landing". Do people think that thats even believable in this hobby? Even with all the years of behind my belt, I still slam my toys once in a while.

Ok, I can believe "never crashed" or "never hard landed", but not both. I'm always lurking in the classifieds and that line for some reason just puts a big Red Flag on ad. Your thoughts?
Bonestockz06 is offline Find More Posts by Bonestockz06
Last edited by Bonestockz06; Oct 30, 2011 at 07:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2011, 06:54 PM
LOOK MOM! TEN THUMBS!
desertdweller's Avatar
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Aug 2009
471 Posts
Trader Rating: 52
Its possible, But Id take the statement "with a grain of salt" unless I knew or trusted the seller.......or if the helicopter was still new in the box.
desertdweller is offline Find More Posts by desertdweller
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:18 AM
Registered User
United States, NH, Suncook
Joined Oct 2010
542 Posts
Trader Rating: 149
well there is another side .I have been selling engines after 40 years and they all run good with no damage.I get questions like how much run time and how many gallons thru it.
I don't keep records and wonder how many really do.I just tell them that an engine can be ruined on a single run if it is too lean so I find these questions immaterial
sagomon is online now Find More Posts by sagomon
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 01:28 PM
top enforcer
kramer's Avatar
LaPorte, IN, USA
Joined Mar 2003
622 Posts
Trader Rating: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagomon View Post
well there is another side .I have been selling engines after 40 years and they all run good with no damage.I get questions like how much run time and how many gallons thru it.
I don't keep records and wonder how many really do.I just tell them that an engine can be ruined on a single run if it is too lean so I find these questions immaterial
I have engines sitting on the shelf that I bought 10 years ago used.I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday,I am suppose to remember rune time
kramer is offline Find More Posts by kramer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 06:04 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
961 Posts
Trader Rating: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestockz06 View Post
Speaking about used Heli's in particular. I been in this hobby way too long and it still makes me laugh MAO when I see the famous "Never been crashed, Never had a hard landing" , W.T.F? Do people think that thats even believable in this hobby? Even with all the years of behind my belt, I still slam my toys once in a while.

Ok, I can believe "never crashed" or "never hard landed", but not both. I'm always lurking in the classifieds and that line for some reason just puts a big Red Flag on ad. Your thoughts?
Its not possible to hover a heli, feel like its not right for you / Cant afford it / want something else , without crashing ?

I've had heli's that have hit the ground at full speed inverted, and I have some that have never even had a blade scrape the ground. Normally its the bigger ones that Im much more carefull with.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2011, 03:14 PM
Plane and Heli Abuser
Pilot in MO's Avatar
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Aug 2010
432 Posts
Trader Rating: 124
Hey Bone,

I hear you, the ones that crack me up usually involve an Rx, Tx, or Lipos.....you know the ones that say "only used for set-up", "only used 3 times" or the Granddaddy..."only used for 6 minutes". Really, do you think we are that stupid? (and I do actually have a receiver that I only use for set-up, it works fine, but has range issues, so it has it's place in my shop).

As for me, I won't sell Rxs or Lipos that have been involved in a crash (without disclosure anyway), but I will sure as use them again if they still work OK.

As for Helis....I do have a couple that "knock on wood", have never been crashed, and to be honest, I would rather buy a repaired, crashed heli then a repaired balsa plane.

Anyway, thanks for the snicker of the day.

Ron
Pilot in MO is offline Find More Posts by Pilot in MO
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2011, 03:35 PM
Registered User
Bonestockz06's Avatar
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2011
160 Posts
Trader Rating: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
Its not possible to hover a heli, feel like its not right for you / Cant afford it / want something else , without crashing ?
Yes is very possible but not for every single person who owns a heli. Are we all born pilots (seriously)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot in MO View Post
Hey Bone,

I hear you, the ones that crack me up usually involve an Rx, Tx, or Lipos.....you know the ones that say "only used for set-up", "only used 3 times" or the Granddaddy..."only used for 6 minutes". Really, do you think we are that stupid? (and I do actually have a receiver that I only use for set-up, it works fine, but has range issues, so it has it's place in my shop).

As for me, I won't sell Rxs or Lipos that have been involved in a crash (without disclosure anyway), but I will sure as use them again if they still work OK.

As for Helis....I do have a couple that "knock on wood", have never been crashed, and to be honest, I would rather buy a repaired, crashed heli then a repaired balsa plane.

Anyway, thanks for the snicker of the day.

Ron
Ohh yea, I forgot about that one, "Only used once" or "Never flown". So why are your skids scraped up? "From sitting on my shelf". lol

I'm with you, I sell anytning and everything but I fully disclose it all. Yes, it's been crashed many times, yes, my batteries have over 100 cycles, yes, is not new, yes, it didn't sit on my shelf but it did sit on my garage floor .
Bonestockz06 is offline Find More Posts by Bonestockz06
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:41 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Nov 2003
554 Posts
Trader Rating: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestockz06 View Post
Yes is very possible but not for every single person who owns a heli. Are we all born pilots (seriously)?


Ohh yea, I forgot about that one, "Only used once" or "Never flown". So why are your skids scraped up? "From sitting on my shelf". lol

I'm with you, I sell anything and everything but I fully disclose it all. Yes, it's been crashed many times, yes, my batteries have over 100 cycles, yes, is not new, yes, it didn't sit on my shelf but it did sit on my garage floor .
I agree with you but if everyone told the truth then nobody have anything to Bitch about.
warbirdguyn951 is offline Find More Posts by warbirdguyn951
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:54 AM
Registered User
crash8384's Avatar
United States, OK, Erick
Joined Aug 2011
843 Posts
Trader Rating: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun600 View Post
I agree with you but if everyone told the truth then nobody have anything to Bitch about.
aint that the truth
crash8384 is online now Find More Posts by crash8384
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2006
2,627 Posts
Trader Rating: 65
The one that always gets me is "RTF" condition.
Toker is offline Find More Posts by Toker
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 01, 2011, 10:22 PM
I am 5' 8" the Taube is 7' 4"
Clancy Arnold's Avatar
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
627 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
Toker

Does RTF mean "Ready To Fly" or "Ready To Fix"?
Clancy
Clancy Arnold is offline Find More Posts by Clancy Arnold
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2011, 11:48 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Mike_Then's Avatar
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,026 Posts
Trader Rating: 107
It's unfortunate that dishonest sellers have ruined it for honest sellers. I have two helis that really have never been crashed, and I guess I'd have a hard time getting people to believe that if I ever tried to sell them.

I understand you wouldn't know me from a hole in the wall (using me as an example), but please remember there are still stand-up and honest sellers out there. Like someone said earlier, take it all with a grain of salt...
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2011, 04:31 PM
Registered User
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy Arnold View Post
Toker

Does RTF mean "Ready To Fly" or "Ready To Fix"?
Clancy
For me, it was "Ready to [insert swear word rhyming with 'cluck' here] you over".

Been had twice with this so far. The guy even left me a negative for it, for selling me a "RTF" Trex 450 that was nothing more than a box of parts and a frame - albeit with a broken gyro, stripped servo and blown ESC.

Still to this day can't figure out why RCG let him get away with it, but meh - he must've been desperate for the $200 he took from me.
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2011, 04:24 PM
micro mechanic
aerohawk1's Avatar
Oz, Kansas
Joined May 2004
2,303 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
I usually look up their posts to see if any history of the model/pilot is available. If they say heli has never been crashed, and their posts are primarily in the fixed wing section, I'm calling bs. Same if their posts show that they are new in helis. Low post count? Sorry, not enough info, so I'll pass.

As for myself, I haven't flown for more than a year and was considering selling off my fleet...most of which have never even had a hard landing. However, I don't even want to mention that because it has become a heli selling catch phrase. Thanks noobie heli crashing lying scammers!!!!
aerohawk1 is offline Find More Posts by aerohawk1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2011, 01:22 PM
Suspended Account
United States, PA, Grove City
Joined Jan 2011
751 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestockz06 View Post
Speaking about used Heli's in particular. I been in this hobby way too long and it still makes me laugh MAO when I see the famous "Never been crashed, Never had a hard landing". Do people think that thats even believable in this hobby? Even with all the years of behind my belt, I still slam my toys once in a while.

Ok, I can believe "never crashed" or "never hard landed", but not both. I'm always lurking in the classifieds and that line for some reason just puts a big Red Flag on ad. Your thoughts?
I get a bigger kick out of seeing something that appears to have been ran flat over, and the seller states that "all repairs have been properly done".
I'm the kind of person that would likely rather put something back together that has been heavily damaged, than have something with even a single rig job repair, done by another. To each their own.

I'm guessing that you feel more as I do, in that "it is what it is". Just describe it, and any damage as accurately as possible. I also get a kick out of statements such as "runs great". Now seriously, it either runs or it doesn't, for the most part. Some of the pitches from folks would lead me to believe that they would do just "great", in an interview to pitch midnight infomercials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
It's unfortunate that dishonest sellers have ruined it for honest sellers. I have two helis that really have never been crashed, and I guess I'd have a hard time getting people to believe that if I ever tried to sell them.
Good point. It is hard to convince people to believe things. That's one advantage of going LPU....
on second thought, better not get that one started here

Bill
Onna Vakkation is offline Find More Posts by Onna Vakkation
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Quadcopter Service? What Service More Joke! Photodrone Vendor Talk 3 Dec 18, 2014 03:00 PM
For Sale 2 New Byron Fans, Rossi 81's & Pipes Never been fueled inpieces Aircraft - Fuel - Jets (FS/W) 2 Oct 08, 2011 12:40 AM
Sold AXE 400 heli...flown twice and never crashed or hard landing crosby Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 12 Feb 15, 2011 11:09 AM
Sold **PRICE REDUCED** Park Zone F4U Corsair - Never been Crashed! guapoman2000 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 9 May 03, 2009 05:42 PM
Funny Shows that never should have never been made! Arrow Humor 3 Oct 01, 2003 02:16 PM