SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Terry, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:37 PM
TDI Abuser
Joined Sep 2002
4,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestUser01 View Post
That is the difference between your generation and mine. We still value actually speaking with our family members and friends. Especially the ones that are still alive.

Ignorance? Sounds close to being an attack to me. But at my age, it does not bother me.
Then by all means I invite you to report me. Never in my post was there any "attack" or harsh words.
Mike
flyinghigh is offline Find More Posts by flyinghigh
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2011, 06:22 AM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Quote:
...We still value actually speaking with our family members and friends.
I am in my 50s, and use facebook regularly, yet I also value actually speaking with family and friends. Using facebook doesn't stop me from actually speaking to them. Neither does not using facebook enable actually speaking to them. Two very separate issues.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:09 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobermei View Post
Sounds like a good feature.

What i'd like to see is the ability to either "like" or "thank you" for a post or blog in rcgroups. I don't want to necessarily publish my thoughts about a post to facebook, or google plus, even though I'm active in them, but I do like to show appreciation to some posts.

This is a feature I have on other rc forums.
+1 much better idea
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:56 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Guys, it's a face book like button.. they're not asking you to format your drive, install UNIX and create your own device drivers for your mouse and printer.

As much as I hate Facebook, everyone and their mom is on it and rcgroups just wants more visitors.. and why not? visitors = revenue, and they provide a good website so they should make profit.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:04 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Wrote up a big rant about facebook, but erased it.. not the place for it here
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Last edited by binaryclock; Nov 01, 2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 05:17 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
This is my internet!

YOU PEOPLE need to get out of it.

That is my response to the negative responses in this thread. I mean, really? Why don't you go out and yell at some 3D flyers or something.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Nov 01, 2011, 07:21 PM
NEVER GIVE UP!
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Nov 2010
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckert View Post
jbourke,
Jim, for me it's not about being able to turn something on or off. I'm just wondering on the 'why' it's needed. Desired maybe, needed is another question. I quit coding websites 10 years ago because I got tired of the 'I want/need this' BS from customers that added nothing to their sites and dragged the upload speeds to a crawl. Granted, a LOT of users now have at least DSL or better dn/up speeds. But I still see and experience the added 'fluff' to a website that doesn't add anything substantial to the use of the site. I'm not implying RCG is in that category.

But as I said, to what end are the changes better for the end user. Square corners, round corners, lighter/darker borders, different colors etc etc. Now, if you tell me it reduces the loads on the servers, reduces the bandwidth needed, I can relate to that. Respective of the 'like-dislike', I could care less what ANYONE I don't know or even KNOW chooses. That's their opinion. And as we all know, opinions differ so where's the value? (or need)

Z06 Tony,
I fit perfectly into the womans descrition of old guys. I'm old and set in my ways and those ways have worked for a LOT of years. Not everything has been or was perfect. But at least I don't HAVE TO HAVE instant gratification nor be tied to something that will give me instant gratification. I relate it to building a kit vs. buying an ARF. Both give me pleasure but one gives a LOT more satisfaction then the other.

I'm NOT opposed to changes that better a site. I am opposed to changes for the sake of change. Bear in mind I don't do any of the latest-greatest-gotta-have-it-now bs things. Hmm, I guess those old cuddgers that build from scratch must need to go by the wayside.. Just being sarcastic!

RickSide,
The statistics are interesting but I would ask, would those stats you quote translate into more usage with respect to the RCG community? How or where would it benefit RCG members? Per you, "RCG uses Tapatalk and I can access it in one touch on my iPhone." In the club I belong to, 70% of our members are over 60. Some have cell phones but they sure don't use them for doing anything web related. I'm pretty sure younger members will help evolve RCG into something else other then what's active today with respect to social media and I'm sure it will be for the better.

99.5% of my online RC time is spent here @ RCG. If it goes into something stupid, I'll drop away. Until then, keep looking up and progressing into the future. I still appreciate this site over the others.

Dan
The next generation of modelers are very tech savvy, myself included. RCGroups is doing what any other institution is doing to ensure its survival; adapting to the times, either change or be replaced.

If you dont like it you dont have to use it, it doesn't effect you because you can turn it off if you like.

For those of us who are tech savvy, it not only is a God send, but it enables RCG to basically get the best kind of advertisement, the free kind
Brooklynstar23 is offline Find More Posts by Brooklynstar23
Last edited by Brooklynstar23; Nov 01, 2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 11:39 PM
Meh close enough.
United States, TX, Longview
Joined Dec 2010
558 Posts
Good - just in time for an answer to a question I had. (about the original post)
Was looking over my profile when I accidentally clicked the "like" button. Thank goodness there was the "unlike" option, or else I'd be breaking my #1 rule - never, ever like something you yourself posted, as it's like high-fiving yourself...
minivation is offline Find More Posts by minivation
Old Nov 04, 2011, 02:09 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
If you just can't stand the sight of these two buttons we have a solution for you too! They can be disabled by going to mycgroups -> edit options, then go to the forum display options in the thread display options section and click the disable social media buttons check box. It's just that easy!

Now click that like button up there...you know you want to!

Terry o-[ : ) ]

Terry, (if i can call you that, we are friends?), where is a "mycgroups" thing? I know that you are infallible, so that must be a new feature beyond the existing "myrcgroups" thing.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Nov 04, 2011, 03:31 PM
Mascot
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Apr 1996
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
Terry, (if i can call you that, we are friends?), where is a "mycgroups" thing? I know that you are infallible, so that must be a new feature beyond the existing "myrcgroups" thing.
I was merely testing all of you, and YOU PASSED! Great job!!!

Thanks for pointing out my mistake! I fixed it!

Terry is offline Find More Posts by Terry
Administrator
Old Nov 05, 2011, 01:29 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I was merely testing all of you, and YOU PASSED! Great job!!!

Thanks for pointing out my mistake! I fixed it!

Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Nov 06, 2011, 01:25 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
HAHA I love the new looks!!
And Ive had a bowel movement today. Some of these folks might want to get some activia.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Nov 06, 2011, 08:37 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
It will certainly bring more people through RCGroups on a day to day basis. I'm sure it will bring lots of new members to RCG, but will they be active members, or will they be the kind of members that sign up and post once, then never to use the site again?

Its basically like free advertising for RCG, so from their stance i would say its a "why not" situation.
Energy is offline Find More Posts by Energy
Old Nov 06, 2011, 06:59 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,198 Posts
'Like' buttons and '+' buttons don't bother me either way.

If you really want to improve RCG make all users pass a spelling and punctuation test before allowing any posting. At least make them know how to use spellcheck.

Seriously, my son is a mod on a Honda forum and if you don't spell and punctuate correctly, you're told about it.
My 2 cents.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Nov 07, 2011, 09:30 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
this Hole thred; makes me Chuckle,

i think we should make anyone who posts information include a list of references so that we, I mean the experts, can evaluate the source of their information
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala