HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:10 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2006
124 Posts
Mine arrived today..Is very nice.Looks exactly like yours lol.. I got a tow hook with mine but absolutely no build instructions at all. Are there any available on the web?
Cheers
Ian
Ian Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Thompson
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:09 PM
F3X Lover
Madriz (Espaņa)
Joined Feb 2006
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Thompson View Post
Mine arrived today..Is very nice.Looks exactly like yours lol.. I got a tow hook with mine but absolutely no build instructions at all. Are there any available on the web?
Cheers
Ian
Directly from RcRcm...but the link has an error!!!???

TobaSetupRCRCM.pdf
oteinRc is offline Find More Posts by oteinRc
Old Nov 23, 2011, 05:10 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,771 Posts
Ian-
No instructions, sorry.

I may start on the Toba this weekend, if not, next weekend for sure.
I'm waiting on the tow hooks I ordered.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:28 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2006
124 Posts
if this works there should be a pdf of the settings for Toba
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:14 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,771 Posts
Thank you, Ian!

Its interesting that the airfoil is stated to be from JH, and the plane design from Carlos.
I had seen this in a magazine somewhere, but I still really am interested in just how far back the CG has been tried on this plane, if for no other reason, the placement of the tube in the fuse.

In other news, I have recieved the tow hooks that I have ordered, and since my other build customer isn't getting back to me on the fuse ballast he wants for the Tracer I'm working on, the build of the TOBA may start soon.

R,
Target
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:09 PM
Leicestershire
Joined Sep 2006
1,184 Posts
Hmmm I wouldn't set too much by those settings. Inverse differential on the ailerons? Perhaps not.

Z
Zimodile is offline Find More Posts by Zimodile
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:21 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimodile View Post
Hmmm I wouldn't set too much by those settings. Inverse differential on the ailerons? Perhaps not.

Z
+1.....

I'm really much more interested in the CG.... Especially since I have to slot out the fuse for tow hook installation, it would be prudent to know what the range of the hook needs to be, right?
I would likely never have reverse diff in the ailerons. That could be a misprint.

R,
Target
Old Nov 25, 2011, 02:04 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Thank you, Ian!

Its interesting that the airfoil is stated to be from JH, and the plane design from Carlos.

R,
Target
James' foils are freely available from him for anyone to use.
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Old Nov 25, 2011, 03:53 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,771 Posts
Thats not really what I meant, I was more referring to the fact that a lot of designers develop their own wing profiles based on what they want the plane to do, even if they start with a known profile, and modify it to their needs.
I wonder if this profile was by Carlos' own choice or if RCRCM had some input.

Also, I know that there has been some drama between James and RCRCM in the past.

Whatever profile it uses will be tested soon.....

R,
Target
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:51 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2006
124 Posts
I have had an email from Carlos, I will reply & ask him about the aileron settings & CG.. If 98 mm is the correct CG the wing ballast is centered about 15mm behind the cg.. Would it be a good idea the have the fuse tube more forward so the CG wont change too much when fully loaded ? I am a novice at F3B & have had very little experience using ballast in any glider ...
Ian
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:34 PM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2007
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Thompson View Post
I have had an email from Carlos, I will reply & ask him about the aileron settings & CG.. If 98 mm is the correct CG the wing ballast is centered about 15mm behind the cg.. Would it be a good idea the have the fuse tube more forward so the CG wont change too much when fully loaded ? I am a novice at F3B & have had very little experience using ballast in any glider ...
Ian
You don't want the CG to shift when loading the plane up. In some planes you can use the wing and the fuse ballast to keep the CG the same but it looks like the Toba has the Wing Ballast chamber behind the CG and that won't work.

you can also use spacers or shorten the tube to get it ballasted correctly. But first make sure the 98mm is the right CG.
fcbflyer is offline Find More Posts by fcbflyer
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:16 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,771 Posts
I agree that its better not to play the balast juggling game; its much safer to have the ballast centered on CG if possible.
That being said the wing ballast MAY be usable in concert with the hollows in the joiner, to keep the same relatative CG....

I'm thinking that the fuse tube alone may be enough for this plane.

R,
Target
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:29 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2006
124 Posts
Just had another email from Carlos. He uses the joiner & the wing tubes for ballast. Doesn`t use the fuse tube at all. 98 mm is where his CG is..he told me 94-98 mm for the CG. He also uses a 2 cell lipo & regulator..
Ian
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:52 AM
Joined Jul 2004
147 Posts
Any recommendation of an appropriate fuselage servo for TOBA? I tried JRDS3421/3401, too tight!

For the fuselage ballast system, I tend to keep it but change to a smaller diameter. Yet I will see if the wing /wing joiner ballast sytem shift the CG.
polar bear is offline Find More Posts by polar bear
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:41 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,498 Posts
Windrider.com.hk. Airtronics 94761 50usd. Best value or mks mini if you pay a little extra.
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro