HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2012, 02:14 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2006
124 Posts
Target did you see any problems with the launch? wing flex etc? you`d probably push it harder than i do..
The model thermals well :-)
Where did your CG & hook end up?
I have the carbon rods to redo my pushrods..waiting on the teflon & rod ends..
Im very happy with mine..
Ian
Ian Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Thompson
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:01 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,347 Posts
I didn't notice any wing flex, but the launches were mostly downwind-crossing and light conditions, on braided line, with a retriever line attached.
We did get to disconnect the retreiver line allowing a sweep to the downwind side, then into the light breeze on the last launch, it was fun.

It doesn't launch as high as my Extasy does at this point, but it is heavier too, and no where near setup well.

R,
Target

CG is at 98mm minus 1/2 oz from attop the battery (check pics). This measures in at about 100mm, upside-down on my MPX balance stand...
Back of the hook was at 101mm on the last 2 launches, but it had slipped forward on the last launch, and was at 96mm when I checked this morning. I've been "marking" the position with a strip of tape behind the hook, across the fuse. Works good as a reference, and is movable/removable.
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Last edited by target; Mar 10, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:08 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,347 Posts
Got the ballast plan finalized. Came out fine, I need not have worried.
Check the build pics for details.

R,
Target
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:31 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jun 2008
77 Posts
Has anyone else had the chance for more flying on the TOBA? I'm interested in it's launch and F3B tasks. Is RCRCM going to make any changes that have been suggested by you target?
rc_soarer is offline Find More Posts by rc_soarer
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:41 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_soarer View Post
Has anyone else had the chance for more flying on the TOBA? I'm interested in it's launch and F3B tasks. Is RCRCM going to make any changes that have been suggested by you target?
Beats me....
You could contact them, but their answer would likely be, "The model flys very well."
I'm not in direct contact with them.
I would assume there will be no changes until someone pipes in here with a new model that shows a change. They have made several changes to the Predator, though....

R,
Target
Last edited by target; Jul 06, 2013 at 01:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:16 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,488 Posts
they never changed those servo covers on their models (e.g typhoon) to something less ridiculous.
satinet is online now Find More Posts by satinet
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:43 AM
I do this for fun!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,193 Posts
Target,

which layup is your Toba please?
skyboyken is online now Find More Posts by skyboyken
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:53 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,347 Posts
If you look in the pictures of the tip damage, I would say its the normal Carbon layup.
Since I didn't order this, I have no way of knowing if its a "double carbon", but based on the skins squish strength, I'd say not.

R,
Target
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:37 AM
Joined Sep 2007
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvF3b View Post
I had a lot of trouble with the connectors loosening in the fuselage of my model (too much "precision landing" :-)

Tried cyano, epoxy and even sikaflex to glue them - no luck!

The solution to be tried next is to use double sided circuit board, which has worked well on previous models.
  • Cut a strip of board to match the plug width. Cut this strip to length to exactly match the spacing you need for the plug spacing in the fuselage.Take a notch out of each corner of the board to clear the front and back pins of the connector.
  • Score the copper to form 3 strips on both sides of the strip of board, with a wider center strip. Score the copper from the outer strips in the center.
  • Insert the board between the double pins of the plug. Solder the top 2 pins to the center strip of copper, and the bottom two the other side. Solder the front and back pins to both sides of the board.
  • Add a single power lead to the top, another to the bottom, then 4 signal wires that feed the Rx.

Here's a very crude attempt at a diagram

John
that's a tad complicated ;-)

I glue a wooden bit in the fuse above the connectors: then I use cyano on the ouside to glue the connectors, and a bit of epoxy on the inside to glue the wires to the wooden board: it's hard as a rock (AC/DC quote ;-))

I do this in the wings too: I glue the wooden board on bottom skin, and glue the wires and back of the connector to it.

if that can help,

Cedric,
ced_toulouse is offline Find More Posts by ced_toulouse
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Ojective: TAIWAN!!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:20 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2006
124 Posts
Hi all I didnt mention that when I posted on here that one of the tail horns had come loose I received a PM from someone at RCRCM wanting pics to see how this had happened..IMHO its good when a manufacturer takes the time to follow up on a post on a forum..Shows they care about quality :-)
Ian
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:10 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,347 Posts
That IS a good thing, Ian.
Still haven't had the time or weather to try mine with the new ballast.
Its either been blowing 5mph or 40+mph!

R,
Target
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:21 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2006
124 Posts
Hi Target,
I wont get to fly mine again until June..its in a different country ..
I have the winch sorted & a new turnaround to play with then too ..
Hope you get to fly the Toba again real soon..
cheers
Ian
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:29 AM
Joined Sep 2007
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ced_toulouse View Post
that's a tad complicated ;-)

I glue a wooden bit in the fuse above the connectors: then I use cyano on the ouside to glue the connectors, and a bit of epoxy on the inside to glue the wires to the wooden board: it's hard as a rock (AC/DC quote ;-))

I do this in the wings too: I glue the wooden board on bottom skin, and glue the wires and back of the connector to it.

if that can help,

Cedric,
you can have a look at this method in pictures here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...52&postcount=5

cedric,
ced_toulouse is offline Find More Posts by ced_toulouse
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Ojective: TAIWAN!!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:17 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,347 Posts
OK, I have flown the "Team USA" Toba in angry Point Fermin F3F conditions.

Observations:

With 40mph blowing into the cliff today the Toba, filled with ballast was still too light....
I managed a 39 with it, but upon switching to my old friend the Ceres (20oz heavier), immediately pulled off 3 rounds of 36 second runs....

On the third landing of Ceres, the rotor in the LZ got me, and I was forced to fly Toba again. I made another 39 second run and asked Kyle Paulson what he thought he saw in my setup. He suggested less diff in the ailerons, and more rudder mix.

After making these suggested adjustments, I immediately found the Toba more to my liking, and it was faster to boot. I did back to back 38 second runs, with the maximum ballast it could carry, and it was still a little too light.

I fould the handling to be very good with me new setup, but wish that the wing and joiner could hold more weight.

I know the original poster was looking for F3B speed run speeds, but fast on the slope usually is a good indicator of fast speed runs.

I would say by today's observations that its not as fast as a Freestyler 4 or 3, but its certainly not going to seriously embarrass a better pilot than me.

I would recommend that lead slugs be cast for it, though. My all up weight is about 120oz, and this was about 16oz or more too light for today's extreme conditions.

R,
target
Last edited by target; Jul 06, 2013 at 01:13 AM. Reason: more spelling errors
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Feb 2012
8 Posts
Your GC is always 102mm? With PredimRC I find a neutral CG 112mm ...
Deguelle JB is offline Find More Posts by Deguelle JB