HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:17 AM
TMO
Stonington, Ct.
Joined Nov 2001
1,290 Posts
Build Log
Shields One Design

A friend and I are in the finishing stages of a 1"=1' version of this classic. The original is a Sparkman and Stephens design, built by Cape Cod Shipbuilders, and had a LOA of 30', and LWL of 20', a beam of 6.5', and a sail area of 360'^2. Here are some pictures of the progress. It's ABS molded, reinforced, and is intended for radio control. The jib club will be sewn into the foot, and otherwise the running gear will be as close to scale as practically possible. We'll use a futaba 3802 sailwinch servo with a 2-1 purchase on the sheets, and rudder control will be a pull-pull linkage driven by a futaba 3003. Radio is a Spektrum DX5e and Spektrum MR200 marine receiver.
TMO is offline Find More Posts by TMO
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:27 AM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
You're a Johnstone from Stonington CT..........shouldn't you be making scale J Boat models!(and I don't mean J class).

Beautiful job. Always loved the Sheilds. Keep us updated on progress and maiden voyage.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:56 AM
TMO
Stonington, Ct.
Joined Nov 2001
1,290 Posts
Tod is Rod's (the designer/owner of J-Boats) cousin. Rod is my father-in-law, and so we are very much involved in sailing and yacht design. We have modeled most of the J-Boat designs here for ourself. Rod and I collaborate on a design every now and then. We've done scale J-22's and J-24's before also.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:12 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMO View Post
Tod is Rod's (the designer/owner of J-Boats) cousin. Rod is my father-in-law, and so we are very much involved in sailing and yacht design. We have modeled most of the J-Boat designs here for ourself. Rod and I collaborate on a design every now and then. We've done scale J-22's and J-24's before also.
I figured Tod was related. He looks like Rod. I'm a huge J Boat fan. I've owned a J29 for the past 6 years and love it.

Its a simple design which still gives the modern boats fits on the racecourse.

I think I've actually sailed against Rod on a Wednesday night, while he was sailing with a customer(J111 Wicked).

That Sheilds is a really nice model. If you decide to sell the boat commercially(hull at least), I would be your first customer.

Nice work.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:16 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
...That Sheilds is a really nice model. If you decide to sell the boat commercially(hull at least), I would be your first customer.

Nice work.
+1
I'd be in line too...

I thought the Shields was built by Chris Craft Corp. (?) and designed by/for C. Shields... (?)
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:04 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,310 Posts
Nice looking boat.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:05 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post
Nice looking boat.
Indeed... and the right size too.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:26 PM
TMO
Stonington, Ct.
Joined Nov 2001
1,290 Posts
We are planning a limited production run of at least 10 hulls, which will be numbered and certified for potential class certification by the US VMYG. Truthfully, these will be a labor of love, and we have other plans along these lines for boats to go into wider production and certification. More on that later, but if you like the Shields....stay tuned.

Regarding the Design- Cornelius Shields commisioned the design based upon the success of interclub one design racing in Long Island sound, and his general ideas were transformed into a design by Olin Stephens personally. Much of Shields' inspiration came from the International One Design, a boat which he commmisioned to be built into a "class" one design from a Bermuda Sloop which he owned personally. This was in the late 30's, and the Shields One Design by S&S hit the scene much later in the early 60's.

Another inspiration for the Shields 30' design was the 12 meter "Columbia", and the 30' was at least partially thought of as a 5.5 meter (not 5.5 meters long of course, but rather if you ran the Shields' numbers through the Third 12 Meter Rule AKA the Americas Cup Rule formula, you would be at 5.5 meters),with all the tactical trappings of America's Cup 12 Meter racing in a smaller scale, and one design rules. Also, Sparkman and Stephens had just designed Columbia and I'm sure Corny Shields more or less walked in and said "make me a one-design club racer like that". Many back then thought of Columbia as the quintessential boat, and the America's Cup has recently adopted the 12 meter rule in 1958. I think Shields thought of the Shields 30' as a proving ground for future skippers to learn the ropes.

The Cape Cod Shipbuilding yard was the first builder in '62, and I'm pretty sure they built the prototype and the first 20 or so. In '65, Shields purchased the molds and the Chris Craft company built sail#'s 21-190, in Pompano Beach. Then Hinckley built a handfull- 191-200; and all sails 201 and up were built and still are by Cape Cod. Here are links:
http://www.shieldsclass.com/pdfs/Old...d_Brochure.pdf
http://www.shieldsclass.com/pdfs/Cur...d_Brochure.pdf
http://www.djerickson.com/ccsail/photos/sh30_bro.pdf
http://www.shieldsclass.com/pdfs/Shi...March_1964.pdf

I will keep you all up on the progress with pictures of course. When Hulls are available we'll let you know.
Last edited by TMO; Oct 28, 2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:55 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,050 Posts
Great news and history, Thanks! IOD is another nice boat and the similarity is striking. Lots of those raced (and some still do) here in the SF bay area. A few Columbia 5.5's are active as well. Long overhangs are nice.

Looking forward to more information about your project.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:09 AM
Southern Maine USA
Joined Apr 2006
103 Posts
Shields

When I was yute my step-father owned & raced Shields #144 out of EYC Marblehead. I always thought the Shields one of the prettiest boats to the eye.

My childhood best friend had a Herreshoff Fish class gaff rigged & Peter & I had a bet who could race out to Halfway rock. It was just a straight leg race to & from and was more or less a straight reach in about a 9 knot wind.

I had stipulated a no up wind leg as a gaff rig was no match to a Marconi rig.

Venture a guess as to the winner. The Fish! I always had the excuse that there had been no windward leg.

As one who race & sailed one designs Brutal Beast , H12 International 110, Shields-
I have to-no disrespect intended that the 110 was far and away the most fun
most technically superior boat to sail. Few boats would point & go ~42 degree to the wind. Not much to look at(to many eyes)-not mine-the 110 was also a really good heavy sea boat-not dry but very fast!

The Shields too was a fun boat to sail.
cdog46 is offline Find More Posts by cdog46
Old Oct 30, 2011, 04:25 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog46 View Post
When I was yute my step-father owned & raced Shields #144 out of EYC Marblehead. I always thought the Shields one of the prettiest boats to the eye.

My childhood best friend had a Herreshoff Fish class gaff rigged & Peter & I had a bet who could race out to Halfway rock. It was just a straight leg race to & from and was more or less a straight reach in about a 9 knot wind.

I had stipulated a no up wind leg as a gaff rig was no match to a Marconi rig.

Venture a guess as to the winner. The Fish! I always had the excuse that there had been no windward leg.

As one who race & sailed one designs Brutal Beast , H12 International 110, Shields-
I have to-no disrespect intended that the 110 was far and away the most fun
most technically superior boat to sail. Few boats would point & go ~42 degree to the wind. Not much to look at(to many eyes)-not mine-the 110 was also a really good heavy sea boat-not dry but very fast!

The Shields too was a fun boat to sail.
Thats amazing that a Fish class could beat a Sheilds even in a reaching race. The Sheilds is 30 LOA and the Fish class is 21 LOA with a much shorter waterline. BUT, I have learned to never count out Captain nat's creations!

Agree, the 110 is a very fun boat even to this day. We had two of them growing up. Not too sure about it as a heavy sea boat(maybe for light air Marblehead). Here in Buzzards Bay, we lost alot of them when they turned into "unterseeboots" while runnng downwind in the steep BB chop and strong Souwester.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 03:56 PM
TMO
Stonington, Ct.
Joined Nov 2001
1,290 Posts
Here's where we are

Tod rigged up some flat sheets so we could work out some of the mechanicals and float her for ballasting. She's looking good
Old Nov 08, 2011, 10:01 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,050 Posts
Looking very nice! She needs to go in the water before it ices over!
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:58 PM
TMO
Stonington, Ct.
Joined Nov 2001
1,290 Posts
She's afloat! All ballasted up, running gear, radio, battery she's 4.25lbs sitting right on the waterline. Ran her today in a very stiff breeze. Very surprising...in a good way. Tod and I had originally conceived of this boat as a bit of a novelty, and had backup plans to offer it as a static model in case it sailed poorly. Well...Not the case at all!!! This boat sails and sails well!

She's very mannerly; will hold a nice line even through a puff; happy to transition from a beat into a reach without digging the rudder, and tacks crisply. Even at her light displacement, she was never knocked down. Here are some photos. Sorry for the out of focus ones, but it is hard to sail and take pictures at the same time!
Old Nov 11, 2011, 03:20 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,050 Posts
Looks like she sails well, indeed! I'm sometimes surprized by how well certain scale model designs actually sail. I have a few that do really well. You probably have a winner with the Shields! Looking forward to hearing more!