HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:21 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
So I have a simple shield that I purchased some time ago,
never really got around to purchasing the promini.

Now that Multiwiicopter.com has come out with their Semi naked board with the promini built in, along with all the connectors in place for $29.95 plus shipping ($10 bucks airmail from Australia)..why would I even bother using the shield and soldering up a promini and connectors?

seems like the semi naked Paris V4r5 effectively kills off the need for the shield and the work involved with setting one up from scratch, no?

The way I see it now, unless the builder really wants to solder up the pins, wires, headers and the promini, this new board just makes getting into a multiwii board on the cheap, easier.

http://www.multiwiicopter.com/produc...-board-byo-imu
different strokes for different folks. personally don't have an issue soldering up the BSSS + ProMini setup - not much time there. Plus I can use the ProMini in other projects if the need arises.

if the multiwii one works for you, excellent
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:45 AM
More props are better than One
United States, AL
Joined Nov 2004
2,167 Posts
Myself... I like building my own. So I had a little time this morning and put 2 more Wii boards together.
The one with the right angle pins is my the other one for a friend.

TaSaJaRa is offline Find More Posts by TaSaJaRa
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:38 PM
USA, MD, Glen Burnie
Joined Sep 2008
130 Posts
Bob's super simple board

Hello All
Newbe here, I just picked-up a complete board (Somewhat)
any way i have looked at many of the photos here and I have a question
Number 1 is this a WM+ original board? Number 2 at the bottom center there are
5 holes and it looks like on all the photos there are soldered to the shield board.
Mine are not, could this be a problem? Have not tried to hook up to the Computer as I am waiting for a usb connector. Please look at Photo and let me know what you think. Thanks Cliff
Clavin01 is offline Find More Posts by Clavin01
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:03 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavin01 View Post
Hello All
Newbe here, I just picked-up a complete board (Somewhat)
any way i have looked at many of the photos here and I have a question
Number 1 is this a WM+ original board? Number 2 at the bottom center there are
5 holes and it looks like on all the photos there are soldered to the shield board.
Mine are not, could this be a problem? Have not tried to hook up to the Computer as I am waiting for a usb connector. Please look at Photo and let me know what you think. Thanks Cliff

Cliff, the wm+ does not look like it is Genuine. Also, not all the pins on the Arduino are used so not all of them need to be soldered. I don't know if this is what you were asking or not. Your real test will be when you connect it to the computer and read the values. Did you get the board pre-built? I have never had any luck witht he clone wm+ -- not saying it won't work... I just don't know.
Qrome is online now Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:44 PM
USA, MD, Glen Burnie
Joined Sep 2008
130 Posts
Yes I recieved it as shown. Once I check it out, I will update it with a nunchuk board. if the wm+ is not real I will replace it.
Thanks Cliff
Clavin01 is offline Find More Posts by Clavin01
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:02 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Quote:
Yes I recieved it as shown. Once I check it out, I will update it with a nunchuk board. if the wm+ is not real I will replace it.
Thanks Cliff
Cliff, the clone may work. Who ever put it together did a nice clean job. The thing with the clones that I have experienced is they jitter and may flip out on you. I have heard reports that others have had good luck, some bypass parts of the board to use them. I just have not had any luck with them. You can get the genuine wm+ shipped from Amazon for $12.47 right now. These are what I am using:

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Motion-Plu...0741230&sr=8-8
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:00 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,677 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Cliff
Hey,

If you want to try and use it do this, I've detailed the changes in my site.

http://www.xrotor.net/2012/trying-wm-itg3200-mod/

It will work instead as a ITG3200 and you have to set that instead in the Mwc config.
If it's too twitchy try and set different values for the LPF (Low Pass Filter) available in the code.

I just did this to avoid trashing a WM+, but I'd recomend a original WM+ 10x over a clone.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:40 AM
Joined Jul 2012
266 Posts
Purchsed the shield..will be here within 4-5 days

Purchased the shield..
I have a 6dof IMU from sparkfun which requires 3.3v input(I suppose).
So, Now the question is does the shield support that IMU?
And Once my quad is ready,I want to control it through computer. like in visual basic- I will tell it to turn on,fly,etc.
I mean, I want to control it through a vb program. Or through is PS3 or xbox remote.

Thanks,
Rahul
rahulvyas is offline Find More Posts by rahulvyas
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:42 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulvyas View Post
Purchased the shield..
I have a 6dof IMU from sparkfun which requires 3.3v input(I suppose).
So, Now the question is does the shield support that IMU?
And Once my quad is ready,I want to control it through computer. like in visual basic- I will tell it to turn on,fly,etc.
I mean, I want to control it through a vb program. Or through is PS3 or xbox remote.

Thanks,
Rahul
To get 3.3v out in the shield you need this $1.99 extra parts kit: http://www.blueskyrc.com/index.php?m...products_id=35

To control it over the PC here two possible alternatives:

1. search on the web for "PC to RC" there was a couple of projects related to that. Where you generate the PPM signal with a PC and inject it into a RC Radio.

2. Check the Multiwii Bluetooth control feature. It allows for that over a bluetooth connection.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:59 PM
Hulk likes flying things
United States, IN, Kokomo
Joined May 2008
618 Posts
I have a hardware question.
I assembled a new Multiwii board with a 6050 gyro acc combo (not the issue). Quad configuration.
I had no yaw. I hook it up to MW config and I get no yaw change when I move the stick. All other sticks cause the numbers to change in their respective graphs.
I tried different connectors from receiver to f/c, a different receiver. NO LUCK.
So... I tried resoldering all the connections. They all seemed fine, but tried it anyhow.
Still nothing. I believe there is a dry connection that I can't see.
My question is , can I just run a jumper wire from pin 6 of the cpu to my yaw signal pin?
It shouldn't make a difference but, I am using a Bob's Super Simple Shield.
Phalanx-0 is offline Find More Posts by Phalanx-0
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:21 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx-0 View Post
I assembled a new Multiwii board with a 6050 gyro acc combo (not the issue). Quad configuration.
I had no yaw. I hook it up to MW config and I get no yaw change when I move the stick. All other sticks cause the numbers to change in their respective graphs.
I tried different connectors from receiver to f/c, a different receiver. NO LUCK.
So... I tried resoldering all the connections. They all seemed fine, but tried it anyhow.
My question is , can I just run a jumper wire from pin 6 of the cpu to my yaw signal pin?
I have seen pins go bad on Arduinos -- yes, you could jumper wire it as needed.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx-0 View Post
I'd say for you to try it but it may be the arduino's pin itself.
I had that problem with one arduino, pin 10 was gone. I still tried to solder a wire from the pin to the board just in case but it was no good.
(I'm using it now to do a DIY OSD and got a new arduino for my quad )
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:15 PM
Hulk likes flying things
United States, IN, Kokomo
Joined May 2008
618 Posts
Thnx for the replies. Now I need to lay off the caffein for a day so I can be steady enough to solder that pin at the cpu
Phalanx-0 is offline Find More Posts by Phalanx-0
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:16 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
different strokes for different folks. personally don't have an issue soldering up the BSSS + ProMini setup - not much time there. Plus I can use the ProMini in other projects if the need arises.

if the multiwii one works for you, excellent
Completely understand that you like to build them and can do them pretty quickly. That should go without saying since you created the board.

For those less capable though, you have to admit that $30 bucks for a semi naked MWC board that has all the pins and Pro mini built in is just a no brainer yes?
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:43 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
Completely understand that you like to build them and can do them pretty quickly. That should go without saying since you created the board.

For those less capable though, you have to admit that $30 bucks for a semi naked MWC board that has all the pins and Pro mini built in is just a no brainer yes?
Again, different strokes for different folks. Those are per you post $30+ $10 shipping but you lose the usability of the ProMini. I personally use them for many other projects. I personally feel that having the ability to use the ProMini well worth any difference in time to solder the headers.

If the Paris board works for you, excellent

Bob
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432