SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by doz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:55 PM
doz
D.O.
Oklahoma
Joined Jan 2004
67 Posts
Discussion
Grand Esprit build

Would anyone be interested in some pics of my Grand Esprit build?
doz is offline Find More Posts by doz
Last edited by doz; Dec 05, 2011 at 02:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2011, 06:50 PM
doz
D.O.
Oklahoma
Joined Jan 2004
67 Posts
Post and see isn't an option. I suggest that you look a little further as when I Googled it, I got 5 hits on the first page!
You might check out http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1476270 should you wish to learn what a Grand Esprit is.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 07:37 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,315 Posts
Yup! When I Googled it again just now I got "Grand Esprit Glider" hits.
Nice plane...
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Oct 28, 2011, 08:51 PM
doz
D.O.
Oklahoma
Joined Jan 2004
67 Posts
My latest Grand Esprit.

No worries, Mate!

Here is the finished product. I bought the kit on Ebay for $650. This might be the last one ever for sale, and I got it!

I know the price is crazy but I'm old and they are not making any more of them.

I think the results speak for themselves?

I built this ship in JUNE thru SEPT 2011. I have about 150 hours in it's construction and finishing. The wing spars were modified adding carbon and the ribs were capped with carbon as well. Otherwise, the ship is more or less stock. The tail design was modified to allow it to be folded flat, making the ship easier to transport.

The fuselage was glassed on bottom, primered and painted with Krylon grey, then sprayed with Krylon "Sage".

The wings are covered with Ultracoat Pearl Green and Transparent White.

The cockpit contains "Oscar the Grouch" from Sesame street. He has ridden in earlier Grand Esprits I have had, and has been waiting over 35 years to get into one again!
Last edited by doz; Dec 05, 2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Add Photo, edit text
Old Dec 05, 2011, 02:37 PM
doz
D.O.
Oklahoma
Joined Jan 2004
67 Posts
Grand Esprit Build - Vtail Assembly

Sorry for the delay, folks but I've been distracted. It's building season again, so here's some more of my Grand Esprit build. Lets look at the V-Tail construction with a few comments.

The root v-tail pieces are usually glued together using a balsa triangular section at the with a ply cap. The unit is secured to the boom using 2-56 screws into blind nuts in the boom assembly.

I am doing some re-engineering because itís very difficult to transport a fixed V: So, I'm constructing it as a fold-up. Iím using transpore tape to temporarly secure the root pieces while gluing on the trailing edges. Then, the v-shaped balsa piece is first modified by filing a slot in it for the aluminum tube, notching the tube where attaching screws will pass through, and using a removable carbon fiber pin which is inserted between the attaching screw holes. Next, the ply cap is attached, and the unit is split at the center. Resulting front and rear pieces are then glued to each side (left, right) side of the v-tail. Doing it this way allows the pin to be inserted into or removed from the completed V structure - using a suitable pusher, such as a hex screwdriver slightly smaller than the aluminum tubeís ID. Once the pin is in place the v-tail is attached with screws as provided in kit and per documentation. The resulting force of the screws substantially cinches the assembly into place.

A small, albeit fidley change which results in a substantial space saving while transporting in my Honda, not to mention the fact that now an entire Grand will fit in your Sports Tube and therefor is airline transportable.
Old May 16, 2014, 05:03 PM
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Dec 2002
58 Posts
V tail question

I am rebuilding my electric GE. I came across your posting for a remove able and folding V tail. My question is how does the carbon rod clear the two bolt holes for mounting the assembly on the fuselage? If looks like the bolts line up with remove able rod!
marcv is offline Find More Posts by marcv