SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:52 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,455 Posts
Discussion
Estes Interceptor profile RC Boost Glider build thread

I've done a build thread with photos for the Estes Interceptor profile upscale rocket glider.

AUW is 9 oz rtf with E-6 reload, I think this bird is light enough a quest 20mm D-5-P would work as would a D-12 or E-9 BP motor.

One sheet of depron will work, however you will need to splice the fuse near the back half as the length is 42" or so. You can splice wherever you wish, I did it near the rear as it is most supported by the wing/top plan.

Just one small 1/8" carbon rod for a pivot and two small 1/8" id aluminum torque tubes, two dubro servo horns for the torque tubes, a 24mm motor mount, and about 18" of 1/8" by .034 carbon strip for the wing spar. A bit of dubro hinge tape for reinforcing the spar and torque rod, two 5" .34 pushrods.

You'll need two hs-55 servos or similar, an rx, bec and 1.5oz 2s battery or similar. For pusher, you want to keep the tail light, a 1-1.5oz motor should be ok, just install an inset motor mount and mount the motor.

I built this one from printing out my own plans without margin or scaling and taping together. When cutting the tabs make sure to use your slits in the top view as your guide instead of blindly using the template to make sure they line up perfectly. The ventral and dorsal fins don't have to be at a certain angle, as long as they are more vertical than horizontal they should be fine, and should be matching.

Total build time for me was 10 hours including cutting the paper templates, fitting, sanding, assembly, figuring out how I wanted to do the markings, cutting trim monokote, and painting.

Test flight was great, just needed a bit of downtrim for boost, post boost glide setting was great, this just floats.

Video at:

Upscale Interceptor for RC boost glide (1 min 55 sec)
burkefj is online now Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by burkefj; Oct 26, 2012 at 07:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts