SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:52 PM
Find More Posts by burkefj
Joined Oct 2006
2,554 Posts
Discussion
InteR/Ceptor profile RC Boost Glider build thread

Here is a quick build thread for the InteR/Ceptor Rocket glider.

AUW is 10 oz rtf with E-6 reload, I think this bird is light enough a quest 20mm D-5-P would work as would a D-12 or E-9 BP motor.

One sheet of depron will work, however you will need to splice the fuse near the back half as the length is 42" or so. You can splice wherever you wish, I did it near the rear as it is most supported by the wing/top plan.

Just one small 1/8" carbon rod for a pivot and two small 1/8" id aluminum torque tubes, two dubro servo horns for the torque tubes, a 24mm motor mount, and about 18" of 1/8" carbon rod for the wing spar. A bit of dubro hinge tape for reinforcing the spar and torque rod, two 6" .039 music wire pushrods.

You'll need two hs-55 servos or similar, an rx, bec and battery/nose weight as needed.

I built this one from printing out my own plans without margin or scaling and taping together. When cutting the tabs make sure to use your slits in the top view as your guide instead of blindly using the template to make sure they line up perfectly. The ventral and dorsal fins don't have to be at a certain angle, as long as they are more vertical than horizontal they should be fine, and should be matching.

Test flight was great, just needed a bit of downtrim for boost, post boost glide setting was great, this just floats.
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
Last edited by burkefj; Mar 31, 2015 at 08:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2015, 10:30 AM
Joined Oct 2006
2,554 Posts
Here is a set of postings from Alpea41 on his take on this design using a pool noodle:

watching how straight yours launched Frank I feel I've made the right choice . For the rocket launched n R/C
glider recovery part of my Rok Stock Event project. I'm using 3mm depron for the tail feathers I have some 3mm C arbon Fiber Tubing I can spar the tail control surfaces with. I'm also going standard hindged elevons on the horizontal stab . I see no reason full flying surfaces would be needed and as happens on Steves F 14 the pointed leading edge would get broken by grass or uneven landing ground.

I know it's not your plan or kit Frank but if you dont mind cuz I'm sure your input will be needed ... Just a little . I would like to post my build here.?
Since my 5' x3 " dia pool noodle fuse weighs more than a 6mm depron profile one. My scale is down for repair but the pool noodle hefts about 2/3 rds what a 12 oz full soft drink can does . I'm going to put my 9 gram servos all the way forward on 36" golden red push rod tubings. And allow my spent rocket engine to jettison itself . I'm planing on adding a few oz. of L E D s And I'm thinking a H series motor .Once I have the design visualised and the plans put to memory I believe in no nonsense on Experimentals . Get this [prototype finished quickly then modify V 2 if necessary. But you've done the test piloting so I'm confidant mine will behave as yours did in the video. And the event is 11 days away.
I think you'll agree good ground covered for a few hours work on day one

This is going so well I,ve already envisioned bringing several pool noodles of the smaller size. Some dollar sheets of Redi Board. And inviting family and very young kids to make some up. Also would be cool to do a 5 or 6 stage stacker Large on stage one & 2 to smal;ler on top stages. Let it fly and not even worry about the recovery. Cuz it's so cheap

Tomorrow l'l white Gorilla glue the 1 16 x 1 half"longerons into the fuse. Get the motor tube and mount wings after l spar em hopefully ready for radio by Thursday.I need to test fly it Saturday.. Although it stays light late enough to do it after work

Took an extra 20 min and spared the wing and Horz Stab, White Gorilla . 3mm C F strip on stab 1/4 " dowel on wing. Off to work I gotta make some rocket motor monie.
Whats an Estes H 5- 10 cost these days I'll guess $12.95 ea. And a J 3- 12 $17.50.

Hec if it can be kept to under 40 oz. I bet a G motor would fly it.
Old Jun 01, 2015, 10:42 AM
Joined Oct 2006
2,554 Posts
Hi, what is your expected all up weight?

If you are flying on anything over an E motor, I would not use 3mm as you risk flutter.

I've used the full flying surfaces because you get effective control at all speeds, I have not used normal hinged surfaces on these designs so I can't vouch for control effectiveness on boost/glide.

You will have to calculate your CG location and shift and ensure that you have sufficient ability to trim during glide when it is nose heavy. This will not glide as well as my version because you do not have the fuselage contributing to your lift, but it all depends on your wing loading and overall weight.

The V spread looks fine to me, you don't need as much vertical tail area as mine because again, your profile forward of the wing is rounded and not flat so the lateral CP won't be as far forward.

I'm unclear about your comment about an estes H or J 5....Estes does not make motors above F class.

You do not want to eject your motor, the model will be nose heavy after boost since the propellent is burned, so your glide will be nose heavy, if you eject the motor it will only make the problem worse, especially if you are using larger motors.

You really want to keep boost speed moderate for the first flight so you can get it trimmed out. Do an openrocket simulation for your all up weight with the motor curve, and try to keep the max speed to 150fps or less. You are very limited with low thrust motors, E-6, F15, G25 etc.....

I assume you are going to stiffen the entire noodle tube with an inner tube or spars.
Old Jun 01, 2015, 10:50 PM
Find More Posts by alpea 41
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,069 Posts
Thanks for your input F B. I am ignorant as to rocket motor sizes. But do agree best to start with enou.gh for a flight test then go stronger. Here"s my 1st build efforts
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Jun 01, 2015, 10:52 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,069 Posts
This is the 3" dia larger pool noodle it is 5 ft long
Old Jun 03, 2015, 12:17 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,069 Posts
Haven't moved forward much. But check this out. A club mate made a scratch built guided missile . Guided by R C it flew
20120615 0007 (2 min 52 sec)
Old Jun 03, 2015, 12:19 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,069 Posts
Im hoping he still has one we could take to Rok Stock. How could rocket scientists not love it
Old Jun 03, 2015, 12:22 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,069 Posts
Hey Frank I do bring a lotta baggage into play with all my hobby buddies and. Cronicalling our club activities
Old Jun 03, 2015, 10:18 AM
Joined Oct 2006
2,554 Posts
Yes, I've seen the sidewinder type of tractor missiles fly before, they seem to fly well. Looking forward to your glide tests, control install and all up weight.

Frank
Old Jun 05, 2015, 09:37 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,069 Posts
And Im almost there
.Airis 80% done went byy local hobby store last eveninhg and found yhey jave motors up to size I
Starting to think H for maide n flight
I week till event and i want to try a Me 163
Old Jun 05, 2015, 09:43 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,069 Posts
Heres why a comethtt

Giant Me163 Formation Flight (5 min 24 sec)
Last edited by alpea 41; Jun 05, 2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 04:17 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,069 Posts
Well shucks I made the Roc Stock 41 deadline ,it took 3 line ups for the maiden launch.The D 12 was unplugged so I epoxyed the end. Then I had to make the launch lugs 1/4" dia. Instead of 1/8th. But on go 3 she made a short test hop. By then I had a following and the crowd roared with laughter when the D 12 fired and the Interceptor did a zlow motion 25 ft flight.
Heres the video
DSC 0344 (0 min 31 sec)
Old Jun 14, 2015, 04:27 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,069 Posts
Well my friends are easily entertained. And every attempt I dashed around announcing it so nobody would feel left out. And then that short flight was anti cimatic and humorous. But it was a flight so they know I dont talk unless I walk.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 04:33 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
12,069 Posts
It weighed 19 oz and has sparked my curiosity. So more to come
Old Jun 14, 2015, 04:39 PM
Joined Oct 2006
2,554 Posts
At that weight you'll need more like an aerotech e15 or e20, the Estes Bp motors wont cut it.

frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
It weighed 19 oz and has sparked my curiosity. So more to come