HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:02 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Data
1992 Toyota Camry XLE (JT Vin #)

Hello Good People!

I am now getting to celebrate the 400,000 mile mark accomplishment of my 1992 Toyota Camry XLE (JT VIN # = made in Japan)!

I am the 2nd owner and purchased it when it had 15,883 miles from a dealer known at that time as World Chevrolet (now Courtesy Chevrolet) in Orlando, Florida.

Here is a picture of the odometer of my 1992 Toyota Camry a few days ago and presently it has 399,963 so, just less than 30 miles to go for the big 400,000!

Yes, I took this picture as I was driving it in a country back road so, you all can see it is still running!

In case anyone is wondering, NO the 2.2 Liter 4-Cylinder Gasoline Unleaded Fuel Engine has never been opened or in other words never has it under gone an Over-Haul of any kind. Only routine Maintenance such as countless Timing Belt change-outs, water pumps, turn-ups consisting of new Ignition Rotor, Distributor Cap, NGK Spark Plugs, Ignition Wires, Seals, etc... Of course Oil changes has been done religiously at nothing over 4,000 miles and using nothing but, natural Oil and no synthetic Oils of any kind.

At 293,098 the original Alternator gave up and it was a lower AMP as this car was assembled in Japan so, I verified if I could use a used Alternator from a USA made car and it has been running with one that puts out more AMPs ever since.

At 335,047 miles the Original Air conditioner compressor was replaced because of worn inner pistons but, it was still working! A brand new compressor and dyer was installed and with A-134 system.

The original items that are still working on this car from factory is the complete Steering Rack and Fuel Pump!!! It is amazing that No leaks has been seen from the Steering rack nor any issues with Fuel Pump within the Fuel tank (I usually do not allow the fuel tank to get too low as the fuel pump gets it's cooling from the fuel itself!!).

================================================== ================================================== ================
UPDATE: October 28th, 2011 ---> Took pictures while the odometer turned 400,000 miles!!!

A few more miles down the road and stationary for safety!

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 28, 2011 at 10:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:23 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,419 Posts
Wow, Congratulations! They sure don't build them like they used too.

I have a 86 4Runner with 340,xxx but its been thru a few motor rebuilds by myself and a few used trans.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:55 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
Wow, Congratulations! They sure don't build them like they used too.

I have a 86 4Runner with 340,xxx but its been thru a few motor rebuilds by myself and a few used trans.
Hi there!

My 1992 Toyota Camry XLE, 2.2Liter Gasoline Engine is totally original and never been in any over-haul.

Thank you!

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2011, 07:09 PM
Daytona Beach, FL
Joined Jan 2008
13 Posts
Congrats! I thought I had done well with my 295k mile Nissan Sentra.

Chris
Davenportc is offline Find More Posts by Davenportc
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:06 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Apr 2006
274 Posts
I had a 92 Camry with the 2.2 and a five speed tranny. I recall the thing got some great gas mileage, something like 36 mpg avg? After a drunk hit me while I was heading to work (2 in the afternoon) and then shortly after it was fixed, a tree branch fell on the roof.I decided it was possessed and I needed to sell it. I have owned a lot of Toyota's and they are great cars. I am not sure the new ones are built as well but I am sure they are still good. Glad to see you love yours!
dhc8guru is offline Find More Posts by dhc8guru
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:10 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
4th Radiator Replacement 11-06-2011

Hi good people! My 4th Radiator Replacement on my 1992 Toyota Camry XLE!

Lessons learned: Do not purchase a after-market Radiator Cap as this is what caused the existing radiator to crack due to a slow leak and after several miles down the road, the top tank sustained a hair-line crack due to lack of coolant.

Some pictures!

Old Radiator!

Make sure you recover the Rubber Mounts from old Radiator!!

New Radiator came with some changes!

New "Toyota" Radiator Cap!

RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2011, 03:51 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
921 Posts
Before I retired, several friends at work drove Japanese cars for their long commute to work each day, about a 100 mile round trip. They said the Japanese cars could easily go 300,000 miles with only minor tune ups, oil changes, and some minor maintenance needed. Things such as brakes and a timing belt replacement at 150,000 miles are needed, and an occasional valve job somewhere in between.

Too bad the American auto industry decided we are too stupid to know and appreciate good quality these days. Some say they are trying now to make higher quality, but I will only believe it when I see it.

In 1996, bought a beautiful brand new Buick Riviera; a $40,000 car. When it was new, it was a pleasure to drive. Quiet, powerful, good fuel economy. As soon as the car went past 36,000 miles and the three year warranty period, everything began to break down. A former GM manager told me that their cars were intentionally designed to fail after several years because according to their market research, U.S. car owners wanted to buy another new car after several years anyway, so it didn't matter. No wonder our auto industry is in shambles. A shame, really.
daddyrabbit1954 is offline Find More Posts by daddyrabbit1954
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:15 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Changing out Rear Suspension Parts - Rear Tailing Arms!

Hi guys!

It was shocking to see that at least two Rear Trailing Arms were pretty bent up and all the rubber bushings were completely worn to the point that you heard that rear suspension make so much noise every time you go over a slight bump or wash board like surface at low speed.

Thereby, I looked and looked and was completely shocked to see the prices of each Rear Trailing Arms (New) and the cheapest was a place asking $138 each piece and I needed all four (4) so, I was not about to invest this kind of money on a vehicle that has over 400,000 miles and off I went with my good friend and mechanic to the Junk Yard here in Central Florida.

Came across one 1993 Toyota Camry LE with just 124,843 miles and in great shape! Even the paint job (Powder Metallic Blue) was in super condition. We proceeded to take out the rear trailing arms from this vehicle as they were in excellent shape. Yes, the vehicle was on it's rims and up high as we went to LKQ Used Auto Parts in Orlando, Florida next to the SR-417 and SR-50 location and they have all their cars lifted up on rims and very securely placed.

Just a few Pictures showing the work!

Check out the condition of the Original Rear Trailing Arms!

The entire Rear Suspension Cross Beam had to be lowered in order to remove the long bolts holding the Trailing Arms!

Newer (Used) Rear Trailing Arms with Bolts and Hardware!

Results:

Once the vehicle was lowered with the newer (Used) Rear Trailing Arms the vehicle's rear posture has been returned to factory specifications and it is higher and no more Low Rider feel when you go down the road!

The ride is much smoother and much quieter without any rattles or bumping noises!

Most importantly in high speed turns exiting the highway the car no longer leans like if it is going to fish tail!!!

I purchased all Four (4) Rear Trialing Arms for $45.17 including local tax.

Of course removing them at the Junk Yard without the benefit of high impact Wrench (Power Tools) was a big pain in the Ash!

Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2014, 10:56 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Hello good people!

Just ordered new Rear Suspension Lateral Rods and Lateral Links (Complete Rear Suspension) from eBay store known as TuneShop and made by ROCA.

Its been almost 3 years using those from the Junk Yard and it is time for some brand New items for my Beloved Camry.

Will post pictures when they get here!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2014, 06:42 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Rear Suspension Update!

Wow, I can't believe it has been a few years, November 2011 since I last did the Rear Suspension on my 1992 Toyota Camry! Almost three (3) years!

Of course, I didn't think the Rear link Arms would last long since I replaced the original stuff on my car from that at the Salvage yard and from a donor car that was slightly better shape.

Fast forward to today, May 21st, 2014, and with 453,600 miles on the Odometer, I finally broke down and paid $316 US Dollars including shipping for a complete assembly of Rear suspension by ROCA from Tuneshop.

A few Pictures!

Taking the Old Stuff OFF!

Pretty Bad Condition that OLD STUFF!

The Trick to avoid taking down the Gasoline Tank is to lower the mid-cross frame down a bit so, you can reach through the long bolts at the Mid-Cross Frame holding the Link Arms!

All done!

Alignment Time!

For those Die Hard, DO-IT-YOURSELVES.........Repeat After me.....
"There is nothing in this world like a Pro Shop Garage with Air Tools"

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; May 22, 2014 at 06:48 AM.