HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:48 AM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
603 Posts
Question
Help making a "hot wire cutter" from soldering iron

I recently had an idea and am wondering if it is feasible. I have a Radio shack soldering iron, that has digital temperature control, and I'm wondering if this can be used as a "hot wire" controller. It does have 4 wires feeding the iron, didn't want to disassemble it without knowing if it's a viable idea.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:02 AM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,397 Posts
Most likely two of those wires are for heating element power and the other two for a temperature sensor feedback. I don't immediately see how and where you would install the temp sensor.
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:31 PM
“Do it Right The First Time!”
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
4,439 Posts
You don't say how many watts it is, but I don't think you have enough power. There's a good video on YouTube on how to build one for pretty cheap. What type of cutting are you doing? How big (wide)of a bow do you need?
CoolerByTheLake is online now Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Oct 28, 2011, 04:15 AM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
603 Posts
Actually it's a moot point now...I own a Icharger that has the control built into its software( after posting my question checked out the similar threads at the bottom...found a how to on using the Icharger software )
Thanks for the responses guys.....this iron will remain for cutting grooves for strengthening spars.
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Closed Thread