HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:26 AM
Joined Oct 2011
4 Posts
Question
Scratchbuilt wing - pics, video, question!

So I scratch built a wing, based [loosely] on the ZagNutz plans - Hotwired EPS, tape, corflute control surfaces, etc.

Few pics attached of the build - first attempt at a wing. First scratch-build of a plane at all. It went together nice and quickly with no major dramas.

I had JR MAX66 (32MHz) 6ch radio gear sitting in a box gathering dust, so put that to use. I also found a Himark 2000kv inrunner and prop adaptor in the same box, so that is what's on the back. Two 2200mAh 3S LiPo's up front, chinese 25A ESC (from the box of dust) finishes the electrics. I bought 2 HS-82MG servos, and a 6x5 carbon prop.

Test glide was uneventful. Video compilation of powered flights is up here.

Now, I'm pretty happy with how this thing flies, and the performance (although it got pretty sluggish with the GoPro in its case taped straight on top...) but the old Himark inrunner is on its last legs. The end cap keeps coming off, and there's about 8mm end play in the shaft..!!!

So the big question is... should I replace this motor with the same sort of thing (2000kv inrunner), or should I throw something different on there?

Given that the motor was a completely random choice, I can't help but think there are likely some better choices out there. I'm not too concerned about replacing ESC, prop, etc if required.

Edit: Oh, and before anyone asks, it's 1.2m (47") and I'd guess it is around 750-800g (26-28 oz) but I haven't weighed it. There's a fair bit of tape on it now

Thanks!
incognico is offline Find More Posts by incognico
Last edited by incognico; Oct 27, 2011 at 12:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2011, 02:08 AM
Joined Oct 2011
4 Posts
Ok, well I did the rounds of the local hobby shops and they didn't have anything remotely close to my existing motor.

I bought a "Park 480" (Turnigy 1020 outrunner) and a selection of props. I made a new motor mount, and the prop cutout has been widened to take a 9" prop.

Bit windy at the moment for a test flight, but hopefully it calms down a little in a few hours.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 04:31 AM
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,438 Posts
Looks great mate
wishawhunk is offline Find More Posts by wishawhunk
Old Oct 30, 2011, 08:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4 Posts
Thanks wishawhunk - I'm pretty happy with it for my first effort.

Took it for a fly with the new motor. Turns out the outrunner + big prop had enough grunt to put a big bend in my motor mount! Top speed wasn't great but it seemed to have a lot more low/mid range than before. New motor mount is on the cards.

I also have a Turnigy 3648 Brushless 1450kv Outrunner that I might have to try out next
Old Nov 12, 2011, 02:51 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
What's the airfoil used on the zagnutz?
vertcnc is offline Find More Posts by vertcnc