HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:54 AM
United States, NJ, Berkeley Heights
Joined Nov 2009
244 Posts
Discussion
Joined a Club--Plane Suggestions?

Hi Guys,

I've been back into flying for a couple of years; mostly smaller micros and parkflyers (P-51 micro, umx extra 300, epp leadfeather yak-55, rebuilt wingo, etc.).

I've just joined a nice new club that has a great large field. I just got a new radian pro but I'd like to get something else that's acrobatic/3d that can take advantage of the bigger space, can cope with a bit of wind and land well on the not terribly short grass. It needs to fit into my wagon without too much trouble (43" wingo fits easily without removing wings--so something in this size range would be great).

I've been poking around a bit and I'm thinking of perhaps a heavier foamy acrobatic plane with an airfoil (I'm still learning 3d--I keep punishing my epp yak because it can take it, but it would be nice to up the performance and I'll adjust my style to be more cautious ). Any suggestions for a roughly 40" 3d plane--could be epp or profile depron (not ready for balsa yet--ummm again)?

Also, I was looking to find a nice cub or similar high-wing that would do some acrobatics and that I could fit with big tires to make into a bush plane. I keep finding smaller cubs (usually with radio gear I don't need) or larger 1400mm+ that I don't have the room for--any suggestions? I was looking at maybe the HK Decathlon (red epo) but maybe I could go a bit bigger and find something that wouldn't need quite so many mods out of the box. Not to start a flame war, but I don't appreciate the looks of the fun cub (there are some mods out there that definetly improve it, but too me it's just an ehhh looking plane).

Thanks for any suggestions.
AeroHeadTW is offline Find More Posts by AeroHeadTW
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Selected FPV Flights
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:47 AM
Clintonville, WI
Joined Jun 2008
273 Posts
I would suggest the FunCub, but that sounds out of the question. Have you seen one beside a picture? If not, I think it's a great airplane and flies just great. With those big wheels it will take off and land just about anywhere. Like everything in this world it's a matter of personal taste. Have you seen one up close? It does look like a clip wing Piper Cub. I painted mine yellow for no other reason than it is easier to see in the air. If I ever do it again, I would leave off most of the supplied decals, as it makes it look gaudy.
blinske is offline Find More Posts by blinske
Last edited by blinske; Oct 28, 2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 02:55 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
I'd go for the Wot 4 Mk II:

WOT 4 FOAM E ( WINDY CONDITIONS ) (2 min 41 sec)

The thing with bush planes is they tend to be a bit ugly/agricultural.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gerry__; Oct 28, 2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:48 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,969 Posts
Sporty, aerobatic, easy to fly, great looking, fairly fast, easy to repair.
It's not 3-d capable but with a 4S pack, it will climb out vertically.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ4475
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX