HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
A plastic cap is great idea. That way you don't have to waste time or material drilling out a dowel. I'll have to do that for my other larger wing bolts. Today would have been a fabulous opportunity to fly. It got to 52 degrees F. here in Minneapolis! I've never seen that before. Too bad I still have a few things left to complete on the Raven. I'm sure by the time i get everything rigged up and ready, winter will come roaring back. It's Minnesota after all, so there's no escape!

Nole
nolebotic is offline Find More Posts by nolebotic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:56 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,718 Posts
Hang in there Nole, he he. I know the feeling. I just finished and E-flite pogo and shoestring and I'm dying for the right conditions to maiden. This weather is freaky, and 30 degree difference in only a few hours make me wonder how wildlife deals with it.....cause I sure can't. I shiver with layers then rip it off sweating like a pig. I hope you get out soon and have your buddy film your success. I'm absolutely,possessively sure your flight will go off without a hitch., cause an expert builder had put together
Cr@sh is offline Find More Posts by Cr@sh
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Well, she's pretty much done except for the pushrods/linkage. The spinner is just on for the glamour shots I'd love to fly with that spinner on, but it weighs about 10 grams which would be too much probably. Maybe I'll make one from foam. Here are the pictures. It will be a while before I fly it, as it's going to be cold for a long time here in Minnesota. I will post videos of the maiden voyage though. Thank You everyone for your help and friendly feedback!

Nole
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:48 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,718 Posts
I usually never use and stickers or company logos but I have to say....the castle sticker looks sharp where it is. It's tough cutting alot of detail in monocoat trim. I found my buddy cuts down time considerably for me......any image I can draw, he can scan and cut in monocoat and even vinyl for when I airbrush complicated illustrations. He also does monogram and etching on stuff for me. Your planes looking sharp and if you think spinners to much....only a builder would now his plane. MPI makes some light aluminum ones but a collet should look fine too.....I find any improvements needed, shows it's ugly self in the first turn. I'm positively sure yours won't, Great Job ! Now that I look closer...I think the plane may loop faster than it rolls depending on throws of couse.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Thanks Cr@sh. I'm not usually into brand logos on my projects either, but the castle logo matched, and it strategically hid a little wrinkle in the covering. Cutting out the raven decal wasn't as hard as I thought. I just printed out the picture, taped it over the microlight film that was sitting on a windex misted ceramic tile. A few sharp #11 blades and a couple of minutes later gives you the finished product.

Nole
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:44 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,319 Posts
Nole, that looks sharp. Nice job on the covering. These Herr planes build and fly very nice. Good luck on the maiden.

Dan
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:45 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
Very nice Nole. Simple but nice design and graphics. I have a wrinkle partway down the leading edge of the right wing that I need to iron out. Coincedently, I'm installing a Castle Thunderbird 18 in mine. I haven't worked on mine since I last posted but I feel like heading to the workbench this weekend. No interest in flying, while it's been dead calm it's been getting -10 to -20 at night al all the way up to -5 to +2 during the day. Looks like it'll continue for a few more days. To tell the truth, I haven't had a model in the air since September.
Taildragger55 is offline Find More Posts by Taildragger55
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:51 AM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Thanks TD! Post some more pics when you can! If you never tried cutting out your own decals from plastic covering, you should really give it a go. I always figured it would be really hard, but it was actually really fun and everything worked ok on the first shot.

It's cold here as well- But not -20... . I'm not a winter flyer at all. I hibernate and build Last time I flew was the day after thanksgiving. Seems like years ago....

Nole
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
The Maiden- After all these months!

Well, I can't believe it took this long, but better late than never. I finally built up the courage to take my Raven out for her first flight today. I apologize guys, I wasn't able to get any video (wife was at the gym, and i dont have one of those little cams to put on my hat yet), but I still wanted to share the written report. Weather was stunningly beautiful. 70 degrees, no wind, low humidity and no insects. I set my Tx to have 20% expo on ailerons and elevator, did a quick control and range test, took a deep breath and ramped up the throttle and gave her a firm toss (I hand launch new planes) and she was off! She's a little nose heavy from my misadventures with the retracts, but I clicked in some up elevator and a little left aileron after I got it up to a good altitude and was finally able to breath a little as I watched her silently zip across the evening sky. The control response on this plane is excellent- it banks really well, and I didn't notice any bad habits besides the nose heaviness. I even got up the courage to do a couple of loops and an ugly barel roll I decided I had tested my luck far enough and brought her around to land afte about 5 mins or so. I cut the power at about 75 feet out from me and it glided right in nice and flat to the touchdown. This was a great project that turned out an excellent flying airplane. I can't wait to get a few extra batteries and really get to know this airplane. I promise to get some videos posted soon. Thanks everyone for your help and encouragement on this build thread!

Nole
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:35 AM
The Villages, Fl.
Joined Oct 2002
556 Posts
Great to hear the maiden went so well. It is a fine model.

Ed
EdLokken is online now Find More Posts by EdLokken
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:19 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
hi Nolebotic, great build log and flight report and really like the covering job - i'm interested in this kit just wondering how aerobatic she is... she's got dihedral so wondering about the inverted flight etc...

bb
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:53 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,718 Posts
Great news to hear my friend ........ENJOY you new bird!
Last edited by Cr@sh; Aug 24, 2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Thanks everyone for the encouragement! @ BB: The only aerobatics I've attempted so far are loops and rolls, and the Raven does those easily with no side effects. I'm not the best pilot to be asking about aerobatics though, as I'm fairly new yet to advanced flight maneuvers. I can tell you though that this plane is really responsive to the control inputs and has a nice solid feel to it. It goes where you put it . Considering it has a fully symmetrical foil, it should fly inverted no problem.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:31 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
ok, i'm sold, that's what i was waiting to hear
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:53 PM
United States, FL, Avon Park
Joined Mar 2004
255 Posts
You sold me. I was looking at the bipe from Alien and started looking for info here, found your build log, so I ordered one.
It went together very well. everything fit good. I don't think the wood is as good as a Stevens Aero or Mountain Models kit ( a little heaver and a couple of bad spots but well cut or lasered if you will.)
I have started covering but since this is my least favorite thing it will take several sessions ( a week or so.)

Larry
Travler is offline Find More Posts by Travler