HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2011, 09:19 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Covering has begun. All control surfaces have been hinged, and the tail group has it's main covering complete, less trim. Fuse has bottom and one side covered.
nolebotic is offline Find More Posts by nolebotic
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:57 AM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,714 Posts
Lookin Good ! I was reflecting on a thought while looking at pic ? the cleaner or more perfect the build becomes , the more I fear the maiden ....usually I'm worried for nothing as they fly just like this one will "Like a Dream"
Cr@sh is offline Find More Posts by Cr@sh
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:13 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Cr@sh. Do you have/flown a Raven? It is nerve wracking on that first flight- but I've really learned to enjoy that rush you get. I've done a lot of crazy things in my life looking for big rushes- from throwing myself off mountain cliffs on a snowboard, to holding on to the backs of taxi cabs in downtown Chicago traffic on a skateboard....but it just isn't the same as the maiden voyage of a flying structure that you built with your own hands. I'll never forget the first flight of my bird of time that took 2 years to build. It's such a blast! I can't wait to maiden the Raven.

-Nole
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:46 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,714 Posts
Nole, two years is a long build, I complain if two weeks or a month. I flew my buddy's 1/4 scale raven and it was kinda a maiden, he bought used and replaced everything and was afraid.....Ah, touchy till it was trimmed but very responsive .
I think every maiden is a special memory that's vivid and like yesterday...........why is it I can't remember exactly what year I got married I know exactly where every tool is and whats in each plane but ask me where my car keys are?
I can tell you how many flights on a model but had to think a little, what grade is my daughter in Maybe it's a guy thing
I'm glad at least you had a board before you jumped cause I slid down a cliff face I though had a little ledge to hurdle, only to find out a 10 ft sheer drop..... no injury's.
Like you, skating the buses and cabs were cool till we got cocky and I tried the back bumper of the town police car. they thought it was funny and bold, my father didn't think so and still I feel that metal belt buckle.
That's what kids need today , a good azz whooping to keep em in line. Nole, we were not violent, just had lots of energy that needed direction ..Sad thing is Nole, If I had skates today at 50,I'd still try a bumper or two.
Last edited by Cr@sh; Dec 27, 2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:46 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,319 Posts
Nice build Nole, I am on the home stretch of the ALien Air Stearman. I do have the Raven kit under the bench waiting to be built.

Nice work and we look forward to the maiden. Any chance to snag a little video?

Dan
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:16 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Thanks Dan for the compliments. The Stearman is a nice looking plane, I will definitely have video of the maiden. The weather in MN isn't too bad now, but I doubt it will stay that way for long, so I might not fly her for awhile.

More pics of the covering job will be posted tomorrow.

-Nole
Old Jan 02, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Happy New Year Guys! It was nice having the day off today- I got a lot done on the Raven. The first phase of the covering job is complete. All that remains is the trim. The silver microlight covering has a nice metal sheen to it, even though it is a little translucent. Enjoy the short week.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:43 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,714 Posts
I'm truly sorry Nolebotic, the plane I told you I flew was a 1/4 scale edge with a red/black/gold paint scheme. I did not know this is the frame of a raven.....looking great so far......I agree with what Dan said, make sure the video of maiden finds it's way here Happy New year to you also !
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:08 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
Looks good Nole. Looks like you'll be flying it soon.
Taildragger55 is offline Find More Posts by Taildragger55
Old Jan 07, 2012, 07:01 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
Nole, seeing your Raven covered inspired me to work on mine today. I covered the wing and a few more parts. All that's left is the ailerons, add some red trim, and do final assembly.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
That looks awesome! I love Yellow Airplanes- great visibility and a nice fast look. Yellow schemes on race cars always looks sweet too for that reason. I got a lot of work done on my Raven today as well, I'm almost done. I'll have pics tomorrow. I found out the hard way that you really can't layer the red microlight in large sections over the silver- it really reveals any defect/bubble/etc. I should know better by now that you don't use thin colors over silvers/blacks. So my red trim is cool, but minimal. I glued on my custom air scoops too and they turned out alright. Pics tomorrow....Football tonight Go Detroit!
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:57 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
I've been wondering about layering colors on pre-shrunk covering myself. What happens when you apply another colored film over an area and then shrink it again? I've built kits before, but I just used one color film and trimmed them with pinstriping tape. I'm thinking I might have been better off adding the red trim and shrinking them both together. My trim will be minimal too. Just enough to tell the top of the model from the bottom.

Thanks for the compliment on the yellow color. It wasn't a matter of a large choice, it was really what my LHS had in stock at the time. I try to shop there often, supporting them and their employees. My LHS's are well stocked shops, better than any I've ever been to, you'd be amazed at what they have.

I have a silver model too, it's a Electrifly PBY. It turns into a silhoette if I let it get too far away, but I don't think it'll be a problem with your Raven. It's a small park flyer and you'll tend to fly it closer in to you.
Last edited by Taildragger55; Jan 08, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Generally speaking, it's not advised to layer plastic coverings- too many bubbles are created. Microlight really does not like being layered upon. Small, solid surfaces work ok because you can pin prick the wood to fight bubbles, but it can still look crappy- especially if one uses a light color over a dark one, which is why I kept my trim on the slight side. I didn't get a chance to snap any pics today, but I should have some this week.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
I forgot I had some pictures from the other day that I forgot to post. The first is a detail of the tail skid. I noticed there was nothing there for protection so I used the end of a mini-tie wrap that I just CA'd on to the bottom of the balsa. I made sure to make several pin pricks into the bottom of the balsa skid so the glue could have more surface area to bite into. There should be just a hair of a weight penalty for this preventative measure. The second image is of a tool I made for the raven while bolting on the wings. It's a home brew socket wrench for the 4-40 slotted nylon bolt. I got this idea from an old Model Airplane News article. It works really well, and it keeps you from putting your screw driver through your wing.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:39 AM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,714 Posts
I found a plastic cap that fit my nylon bolts perfect. I did the same thing with wire. I didn't want to use a short screwdriver and slip trying to fit in small size fuses. Great trick and my thumbnail was getting kinda chewed up. I've used music wire as a skid on tail dragger's, easy to bend and glue in chord. the tie wrap might crack off being so brittle with CA or epoxy. I found they don't really bond to flexible plastic well. I could be wrong too, it might stay forever since I've never tried that idea.Your builds coming along nicely and hoping to see the maiden soon.