HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2011, 04:49 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Hello TD-

Retract install did not go well at all. I spent several days trying to get the linkage to work, and I failed miserably. I studied Ed's pictures, but I just couldn't get those darn retracts to work without binding. I tried all types of angles, servo placement, etc, and fought the good fight to no avail. those retracts demand exact linearity with the pushrods or it's a no-go, and I just could not get the pushrods to be exactly inline. I really tore up my wing in the process too. I threw in the towel, and reverted back to the stock gear setup. I guess I was not ready for that type of modification. Oh well, I'll hang onto them for a future project. Construction continues, and I am closing in on the covering and rigging phase. Aileron prep is next. Here's how she looks currently:
nolebotic is offline Find More Posts by nolebotic
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2011, 09:40 AM
The Villages, Fl.
Joined Oct 2002
537 Posts
Sorry to hear you had trouble with the retracts. I forgot to mention that before I installed them in the Raven I made a mach up on a piece of 1/8" balsa sheet. It was a lot easier bending wire and making small adjustments as everything was out in the open. When I was happy with everything I then installed it in the wing. Still had to make some small adjustments, but it made the work a lot simpler.

Don't give up on them. Make another wing. I am sure Tom at Alien would be happy to sell you just the wing parts.

Ed
EdLokken is online now Find More Posts by EdLokken
Old Dec 05, 2011, 12:26 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Hi Ed-

I have no choice but to move forward with the build, since buying a new wing is not an option at this point. It's just not in the budget, as I still need to buy the battery I will definitely be using your excellent mock-up idea when I try the retracts on a different plane though. I'm thinking a foam wing might make it easier- then I could mount the whole retract assembly on a spine made of CF or light ply,etc which could also tie in with a wing spar maybe. That way I could use your test bench idea and just transfer the whole thing into the wing in one piece. so many projects, so little time....
Old Dec 08, 2011, 06:09 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,670 Posts
A word of advice on the GWS retracts. Place a bit of epoxy where the metal strut slides into the plastic. The set screw don't bite in plastic well and it "Will" loosen and turn wheel off another direction, usually on takeoff. Even on light planes when it hits rough terrain on landings, over time they become loose or crack. I took a little carbon toe and wrapped around while applying a smidgen of epoxy. Scuff up wire so epoxy bonds well. CA works also but tends to be more brittle. You might even have a better idea...... but know they crack, loosen and screw strips after a couple of landings. I've used them in most GWS models and have plenty of experience with so so results.. Just thought you might want to be aware,you may never have a problem but I sure did. I also had same issues with binding or smooth travel .Play with end points...... and also exact length rods or fine bends remedy the problem. Don't give up man ! it's a simple build. Wait till you get into more complicated builds with out laser cut pieces
Cr@sh is offline Find More Posts by Cr@sh
Last edited by Cr@sh; Dec 08, 2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 06:56 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Thanks Crash for the advice - It will come in handy when I use the retracts on a future plane. I've already glued in the stock fixed gear so, I'm considering this build as just a practice run for the retracts this time My build continues slowly, I'm working on the ailerons now and should be complete with those by the end of the weekend. More pics to come.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 07:06 PM
The Villages, Fl.
Joined Oct 2002
537 Posts
Your post #31 looks great. You are doing a great job.

Ed
Old Dec 08, 2011, 07:20 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Cool thanks Ed! I'm looking forward to covering phase. I bought 21st century microlite covering in silver, black and red for trim. That's great covering material, it shrinks really well and is very good around curves. One of my favorite full size ships is the RV4, so I'll be doing some google image searches for inspiration.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 07:35 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
This is what I'm thinking for a covering scheme using black and silver, and a little red trim for orientation. Stevens Aero makes a really cool RV4 kit- not cheap though, but I imagine you get what you pay for.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 08:30 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
That looks like a nice combination for your Raven. Mine is going to be trimmed in red. I'm using Hangar 9 Ultracote Parklite film. It's really good stuff, very forgiving, easy to use, doesn't require a lot of heat, however it's not totally opaque. You can still see the wood under the covering.

Our club has a meeting next Thursday. We always have a show and tell providing someone brings something. I want to finish covering my Raven and bring it there and show it off. Please report on the Microlite. I have a couple of rolls of it I bought from Tower Hobbies for another project. I"m interested in how user friendly it is.
Taildragger55 is offline Find More Posts by Taildragger55
Old Dec 09, 2011, 08:38 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
I've used microlite on several planes, and I really like it. Low temp, good adhesion, wrinkles come out easy, and it conforms to any curve. It's very user friendly and forgiving. Similar to the parklite, it's not totally opaque either, because it's so thin. I look forward to seeing pics of your covered raven!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:30 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Made a little more progress tonight. It's getting cold out and my basement shop is not heated so things can slow down a bit construction wise. My aileron mod is going very well thankfully. Instead of the separate servos in each wing panel, I'm going old-school with a center mounted servo (ball bearing high torque micro) and torque rods. I bought a du-bro micro aileron hardware pack for a few bucks. It will be a little lighter and less taxing electrically than a 4 servo setup. Plus, I've always wanted to build a torque rod setup- I think the mechanism is elegant with one servo and all gear hidden within the fuse where it belongs. The other mod involves the hinges. I don't like CA hinges, so instead I use the time tested "monocote" style X hinges. I love that type of hinge. Super strong, weighs nothing, and is practically invisible and leaves a very slight gap between surfaces. The friction created is very low too- surfaces move like butter. Here's some pictures of the left aileron completed and ready for final servo connection. Enjoy the rest of your week to all that are reading this.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:48 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
Looks good. I have a couple of models with a center servo and torque rods. That system is tried and true and works great as long as the servo is strong enough for both ailerons, yours is I'm sure. Gosh, I'm so lazy, I still haven't worked on mine yet.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:59 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
The wing is finally finished. Ailerons are all rigged up and seem to work OK. Here's a video. I had to modify the back bulkhead to allow clearance of the linkage. I simply glued a piece of ply flat across to maintain the structure. I made some plywood mounting blocks for the nylon wing bolts and glued them in nice and solid in front of the former. They took the threading well and the wing bolts on square and true thankfully. A little trick i learned from my dad with wing bolt blocks is to add a drop of thin ca into the threads, and then run a steel bolt the same size as the nylon one through the holes for a couple of turns to clean it up. That makes for really tough threads that resist wear. I picked up the battery today too from the LHS, and it fits no problem. Next step is to mount the RE servos and linkage and it will be time to party with some microlite covering You know what this thread needs? Some more Raven build pics from other RCG-ers!! Taildragger??? I hope everyone reading this has a wonderful Holiday!
Old Dec 24, 2011, 07:23 AM
The Villages, Fl.
Joined Oct 2002
537 Posts
Nice job on the ailerons. Makes the wing nice and clean.
Ed
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:34 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
Okay. nolebiotic, I promise I'll finish mine soon. I have a couple of projects I'm real anxious to start and I've been putting them off until I finish the Raven.