SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 01, 2011, 10:11 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Ahh, I see that. Nicely done. I can't seem to find a battery pack that will fit per the plan. it calls for a 3 cell 1250 mah lipo, but every search i've done for that spec, the packs are like 6" long or more. BP hobbies sells a nice looking one here but it seems to be a few millimeters too long as well. The battery box for the Raven is just under 2 and 3/4" long in between the two formers. What brand/type of batt are you using? What am I missing here?
nolebotic is offline Find More Posts by nolebotic
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2011, 12:38 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
I'm at work now so I'll get the brand and measurements for the battery when I get home. I do know that I bought them on e-Bay and they shipped from China. I can post the link for them from home, I think I still have it in case I wanted more. Mine were kinda long too but it doesn't matter if they hang over the aft end of the battery tray a little.

It's not too late to just finish the plane per the plans, you can glue the hatch back in and fill the seams with putty. I'll provide more info for you this evening. I'm in Alaska time zone which is 4 hours behind the east coast. I don't know what time zone you're in.
Taildragger55 is offline Find More Posts by Taildragger55
Old Nov 02, 2011, 01:02 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Thanks for your help TD. I'm central time zone btw. I think I'll be OK with how it's going, as I didn't realize the batt can extend THRU the former in front of the wing. that gives me a few more millimeters to play with, which is all I needed. I thought I was completely boxed in between the firewall and fore wing bulkhead. I ordered the retracts and aileron linkage last night, so that will be the next step.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 10:14 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
Hi, here's some more info that may help. I rough cut the covering away from the hatch opening so you can see the front of the battery tray I made. Note, the tray was epoxied in the fusealage for strength. The batteries I bought JUST barely slide in. The photo's speak more than words.

Here is the e-Bay link for the batteries. They're about 4" X 1 3/8" X 5/8"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220759937036...84.m1423.l2649

I also added some photo's of the way I reinforced the trailing edge of the wing where the 6-32 nylon screw goes to hold down the wing. I sanded 1/16" ply to fit the dihedral contour of the wing for a snug fit on the top side. On the bottom side, I simply sanded in a flat spot in the TE for the ply. They were epoxied too. The top side will not be seen with the wing installed however the bottom piece will be visible after covering, but not too noticable I think.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 10:37 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
excellent pictures- thanks, that's very helpful. I'm wondering why you decided to add a battery tray though? the plans show the battery simply sitting on the fuse floor. Is it for ease of removal? Also, the battery pack shown on the plan does not seem to match what I've seen listed as a 1250 MAH 3 cell lipo. I'm pretty new to electrics, hence the basic questions.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 05:37 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
There will be a strip of velcro at the front of the tray and on the battery to keep it from sliding back during flight and a velcro band around the battery and tray to hold it firm. That way it cant "rattle" around the nose area. I could have lined the nose area with foam, that would have been simpler, but I decieded to complicate the issue.

I like the hatch idea so I wouldn't have to remove the wing to change batteries, but the tray isn't needed, you just need to "secure" the battery in the nose. The tray seemed more secure to me.
Last edited by Taildragger55; Nov 03, 2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Added text.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 08:22 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
That's what I thought regarding your tray idea, but wasn't sure. I'll probably just wedge foam in that area to keep it simple, and I have to be cautious now of every gram due to my retracts. I should have them tomorrow, so I'll be able to start on the wing this weekend. More pics soon!
Old Nov 04, 2011, 12:04 PM
The Villages, Fl.
Joined Oct 2002
556 Posts
I also attached the wing with dowels in the leading edge and a bolt on the trailing edge.

I have also built another Raven increased 10%. I made a battery hatch just behind the motor on top. I installed Robart micro retracts which are stronger than the GWS retracts. It flies just like the smaller Raven. Both model are a joy to fly. Here is a picture of the hatch. It is held on with dowels in the front and magnates in the rear.

Good luck with your build.

Ed
EdLokken is offline Find More Posts by EdLokken
Old Nov 04, 2011, 08:45 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Hi Ed-
Thanks for posting. Any chance you can post some more pics of your Raven's? I'm especially interested in detail pics of the retracts if possible. If you sized one up 10% , I'm assuming you used the plans from the original sized kit, sized them up and then built the bigger one all scratch? That's really cool. Anyway, I received the retracts and hardware today, so I've started the process of laying all of that out. Here is one of the GWS micro retracts- it should fit no problem.
Last edited by nolebotic; Nov 04, 2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 11:51 AM
The Villages, Fl.
Joined Oct 2002
556 Posts
Nolebotic, here are some pictures of both planes and a couple of the retract system. I did increase parts of the plans on my printer by 10% to build the larger one.

You will have to fiddle with the wires that connects the servo to the retract. It will take a while to get them right. Also be sure to file a flat spot on the landing gear leg where the grub screw holds the leg into position. Donít screw it to tight or the plastic will crack. File a flat spot where the axel is attached to the leg.

When all the retract adjustments are complete and working well then cover the servo opening .

Ed
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:51 AM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Ed- that will really help, as I'm almost ready to install the retracts. Wing construction is going quick-
Old Nov 08, 2011, 10:02 PM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Im slowly making progress. I have the first retract roughed in, it just needs to be fastened. Rigging these up is not going to be easy.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:07 AM
The Villages, Fl.
Joined Oct 2002
556 Posts
Take your time with the retracts. Make sure the linkage runs smoothly. It will be a little frustrating but well worth the time.

Ed
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:49 AM
Joined Mar 2007
151 Posts
Luckily I like bending wire and doing linkages The left panel is done, and I'll be starting the right panel tomorrow. If things look good, I might go fly my peck-polymers Prairie Bird 50. That's a really fun flying airplane.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 02:30 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
Hi nolebotic, how's the retract install going? I still haven't gotten around to finish the covering on my mine.